Do I need the 3rd function with a hydraulic angling snow blade?

Duke

Equipment
2018 Kubota B2650 HDSC with FEL and 72â€￾ rear blade.
Jul 29, 2014
Metamora, MI
I have the QA front bucket on my B2650 and was wondering if I need the 3rd function if I were to get a QA front blade with the hydraulic angle on it for snow plowing.
Can I position the “curl” portion of the loader to be vertical, remove the curl lines from the valve and use those ports for the angle? If the curl cylinder doesn’t leak then this should work right?
Are the cylinders prone to leaking/bypass within themselves?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have the QA front bucket on my B2650 and was wondering if I need the 3rd function if I were to get a QA front blade with the hydraulic angle on it for snow plowing.
Can I position the “curl” portion of the loader to be vertical, remove the curl lines from the valve and use those ports for the angle? If the curl cylinder doesn’t leak then this should work right?
Are the cylinders prone to leaking/bypass within themselves?
You will need to change the "curl" angle of the FEL while using a FEL mounted snow plow as conditions change. Consequently, trying to use the bucket hydraulic circuit to angle the plow will handicap the set up.

That said, you can avoid the expensive third function valve by using a rear remote if your tractor has one.

SDT

Duke

Equipment
Jul 29, 2014
Metamora, MI
SDT, I could see using the curl ports to change the vertical pitch of the plow to be more/less aggressive as on a top link and a rear blade but is it critical to do it on the fly?
Truck mounted plows cannot do that can they?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, I could see using the curl ports to change the vertical pitch of the plow to be more/less aggressive as on a top link and a rear blade but is it critical to do it on the fly?
Truck mounted plows cannot do that can they?
I certainly would not use the word "critical" and how important doing so will be will depend upon conditions.

I do so with both of my plows.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get the third function and save the headache! ;)

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
Short answer is yes if you want to easily change angles from left to right while in the seat. I have one Construction attachments. Very well made, very tough. They are tough enough that the advertise they can be used to blade/push dirt if you care to.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Before I got the 3rd function on my tractor that is exactly how I ran mine. Adjusted the curl so the plow was angled the way I wanted and then disconnected and used it for turning plow.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I have mine run off the rear remotes for angling but it requires 2 hands if you want to angle and lift on the fly.
I don't drive so fast that the machine loses steering control before I can regrab the wheel:p

Duke

Equipment
Jul 29, 2014
Metamora, MI
Before I got the 3rd function on my tractor that is exactly how I ran mine. Adjusted the curl so the plow was angled the way I wanted and then disconnected and used it for turning plow.
That is the method I was trying to get across.
I did not think truck plows had a curl or vertical roll function so why do I need to spend $700 on the 3rd function right now?
So long as the curl cylinder does not drift then it would work.
Just to clarify, Curl is the rolling of the bucket or blade looking at it from the side.
Angle is looking at it from the top.
All the plow blades I have used did not have any curl other than maybe an initial setup.
They all did have manual pin-in-hole for angle though.
15, 30, 45 degrees left or right.
I will add the 3rd function when funds are available just not a high priority until I really need it like on a grapple.

Last edited: