DMSO

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Have any of you horse people used DMSO? I have some left over from treating an injured horse. I have used it on a sprained ankle a while back and it actually worked. Just wanted to see if any others had experience with it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I really couldnt stand the garlic taste so I used gloves. One reason I never used it on my poor old busted up body was that DMSO is a very good carrier for other things. Things that are maybe not so good for you, poisons, are one of those things, say for some reason you were spraying weeds and you would up with some weed killer on yoru hands ,, thats not a real bad thing because the skin protects you. Now the DMSO, rub it on your hand and on your ankle, it will carry those posin's through the skin to the inside, not a good thing. My Vet and I had several long talks bout the good and bad. SO when I understood about the bad I figured it wasnt worth it. Yes it works, and works well I know a few that have used it in the past and swear by it. I figured if it was good for my Arabs fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I guess they use it in Europe more than here. It is supposedly good for shingles nerve pain. Using it on the horses I know to be very careful whenever handling it. My farrier had a cut inside his mouth and he used it, I don't think I would want to put it in my mouth, lol.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I use it often. I have gout and arthritis and I use it to treat it and for pain relief. I take 2 ibuprofen or naprosyn gel caps and prick them with a needle and squeeze the medicine into a little bowl. This equals about 1/2 teaspoon or a little more of medicine. Then I take an equal amount of DMSO and mix it with the medicine. Then I apply the mixture topically to the affected joints. The pain relief is almost instant and lasts for a couple hours. I have been doing this for several years since I cannot take any nsaids orally anymore.

I took ibuprofen orally for more than 30 years and it works fairly well for pain relief. However, I ended up with bleeding ulcers, caused by the nsaids, so I had to quit taking oral nsaids altogether. That is when I started experimenting with mixing the medicine with DMSO and applying it topically. It works remarkably well for short term relief of pain.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I guess they use it in Europe more than here. It is supposedly good for shingles nerve pain. Using it on the horses I know to be very careful whenever handling it. My farrier had a cut inside his mouth and he used it, I don't think I would want to put it in my mouth, lol.
I have heard of taking DMSO orally as treatment for some forms of cancer. I am not sure that I would do it without some really thorough investigation of side effects. There are a lot of articles on using DMSO medicinally, but I am sure that more than a few of those articles are presenting anecdotal results. This is one area where one has to carefully interpret what they are reading.