Disappointed with FEL

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
Sooo one of the projects with the BX is clearing my backyard of vines and putting sod down. With this covid going on and myself home for awhile I have gotten half of it completed and ordered 1600sqft of sod(4 pallets). Each pallet is 2000lbs. Yes, I know BX can't lift it, but it couldn't lift 1/3rd of a pallet either at full rpms!!! It was embarrassing that we nearly had pallet empty before it would lift off of the ground in to trailer.(I had extra sod for my son in law and son) I was using the forklift backrest and forks not the forks that attach to bucket. Still love the machine, just wish it had a little more for the loader. Backhoe seems to be just fine otherwise. I did find a pull behind spreader for 10$ at a thrift shop that I attached to 3 point hitch that works great.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Turf is heavy. Consider this: Dirt is very small granulated rock with some organic material and moisture included. It is likely just as heavy as solid rock. Consider the cubic footage of that “nearly empty” pallet of turf and compute the weight and you might be surprised at just how much wt that really is.

If you use the model of your FEL and double the number that is about how much it will lift. (Alternatively get the specifications from Kubota or dealer)
Subtract the weight of your pallet-forks and THAT is the rated capacity of your FEL.... AT THE PINS! Subtract any other attachment details (such as if you’ve converted it to a different attaching system) also.

Many folks buy a FEL and “assume” it will lift a hay-round-bale because they’ve seen others do that.... not knowing a round bale can weigh 1,000 lbs PLUS!

And we all know the irritating mnemonic regarding that “ASSUME” word. :(

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The FEL of a BX23S will just lift maybe ,almost, 400# and that's IF the load is back against the loader frame.....
I KNOW it will NOT lift 4, 24by30 patio stones laid flat on a skid...
One of those 'do the math' problems.... Kubota says '700#' BUT that's at the frame and you have to deduct....weight of pallet fork carrier and forks and skid OFF the 700# limit AND if you're 2' away from frame, you can't carry 'much'...
I'd think maybe 5-6 rolls of sod ? been 40 year since I had to carry them...ugh...

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I haven't had a BX in a couple of years now but mine would pickup a full bucket of anything I put in it without any trouble - If you overloaded the bucket it was a crap shoot if it was going to go or not. I always thought it was a decent little machine for it's size and I miss having one of those little tractors all the time. One day I'll probably buy another one.

lunasdude

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, FEL, quick con pto, box bld, land plane, flail mower
Dec 22, 2018
Los Lunas, NM USA
Sooo one of the projects with the BX is clearing my backyard of vines and putting sod down. With this covid going on and myself home for awhile I have gotten half of it completed and ordered 1600sqft of sod(4 pallets). Each pallet is 2000lbs. Yes, I know BX can't lift it, but it couldn't lift 1/3rd of a pallet either at full rpms!!! It was embarrassing that we nearly had pallet empty before it would lift off of the ground in to trailer.(I had extra sod for my son in law and son) I was using the forklift backrest and forks not the forks that attach to bucket. Still love the machine, just wish it had a little more for the loader. Backhoe seems to be just fine otherwise. I did find a pull behind spreader for 10$ at a thrift shop that I attached to 3 point hitch that works great.
Ahh, my friend, you have run up against what I call the "I need a bigger tractor conundrum"

I have a BX 1880 and I have run up against this limit many, many times.
I have done the boosting kit on the Hydro pressure slightly to increase lift capacity and even with that I frequently bump up against the max lift capacity.:eek:

Below are the specs from Tactordata on the LA344 which is what I have and I think you do to?

Loader type: Kubota LA344
Height (to pin): 70.7 inches [179 cm]
Clearance, dumped bucket: 51.8 inches [131 cm]
Dump reach: 25.3 inches [64 cm]
Dump angle: 45
Reach at ground: 55 inches [139 cm]
Rollback angle: 30
Breakout force (at 500mm): 978 lbs [443 kg]
Lift to full height (at pin): 739 lbs [335 kg]
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 509 lbs [230 kg]

The most important number is the bottom one IMHO.
This is the raw number for me.
if I put my forks on, this number drops off rapidly because every inch further you are from the center pin the less you can lift.
From what confusing info I could find on this subject you will roughly loose around #100lbs of lift capacity at the back of the forks to #200 lbs at the front!
WOW!:eek:

Even with doing the hydraulic pressure boost I believe I only gained a #100 or #150 pounds of lift force.

I looked up an average weight on a moist (not dry) roll of sod, the average is 50lbs per roll!

With something that can only lift #508lbs on a good day you will be lucky to get #400lbs with the forks on even at the back.

That is roughly 8 rolls of sod!

I looked up what an average amount of rolls of sod per pallet is and it's around 50!

Thats five times what your tractor can lift on a good day without forks or a pallet.

As Scotty on Star Trek would say "Im given ya all I got!”

So BIG tractor time!

I looked it up (was bored) and to lift that entire pallet (I know you said 1/3) would take a Kubota L Series with the loader below.

LA525
Maximum Lift Height at Pivot Pin 94.3" 105.2"
Lift Capacity at Pivot Pin
(1500 mm height) (lbs.)
1431 (L2501)
1490 (L3301/L3901) 2154
Breakout Force
(bucket pivot pin) (lbf.)
2373 (L2501)
2462 (L3301/L3901)

Even the L Series would be at its maximum.

Anyway,,,
I have been thinking about getting a boom for the 3 point in the back.
Your 3 point can lift more than your FEL can.

"BX series
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 680 lbs [308 kg]"

And as long as you can suspend it off a boom with a winch then that may help future projects.

Here is a link for Tractor Supplies 3 poles they sell.
Range from $169 - $329.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/Boom Pole

In the end, I would suggest if your going to do the type of work where large lift capacities are needed, then maybe rent a bigger Kubota or a forklift with turf tires for the weekend.
Good luck with the sod:cool:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was picking up leftovers on a sod job and a pallet with 3 layers was all the L2501 could pick up. It did like it either. It is just hard to realize how heavy sod is to pick up.