Dirverter Valve or 3rd Function Valve?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What is the difference, and which one would be better for a grapple and a hydraulic chute cylinder on a Kubota BX22?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Read this explanation:

https://summit-hydraulics.com/what-is-a-third-function-valve-kit-and-what-are-the-benefits-of-one/

I use a diverter valve. Cost was one factor and not messing with my existing loader power beyond port which feeds my 3 pt and rear remotes was another.

$112 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-...926774&hash=item547a6ab605:g:~bMAAOSwYIxX7pPC

Most people install the diverter valve close to their bucket cylinders to minimize hose cost/length.

Wiring is simple. Apply power to switch the diverter. Other circuit remains locked. You can control the other diverter circuit using the joystick with fine control same as you have with the bucket.

Dave

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
What is the difference, and which one would be better for a grapple and a hydraulic chute cylinder on a Kubota BX22?
A diverter valve "diverts" one of the existing functions to another purpose while a third function is a new valve that does that function independent of the existing valves. Either one will work for what you want to do. Diverter valves are a little less expensive ( usually!) Often diverter valves are mounted on the loader and would be removed with the loader. If you want it to also work with the blower chute you must mount it on the tractor instead unless you buy one and mount it on the blower as well. You can plumb it so the TPH hydraulics lifts the blower and thus free up the loader valve to operate both the rotate and deflector function on the blower but that won't get you a grapple function on your loader! For your application a diverter valve mounted on the tractor that diverts the bucket function to operate the grapple and the chute deflector is the usual way we do it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I purchased a diverter valve, but it didn't come with any instructions of what goes where on any of the 6 ports, and that is what brought me to this point. I started to search for how to install the valve, and found very little information on the forums. One of the issues with the BX22 tractor is that you must remove the loader valve with the loader when you remove the loader from the tractor, and then you take the right hand loader upright free of the right hand cylinder and loader arm, and put it back onto the tractor to operate the snow blower. It gets to be tedious disconnecting all the hydraulics to remove the loader, and then having to disassemble the loader arm to put the hydraulics back on the tractor. This is why I want to find a simple solution that will have easy connections.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I purchased a diverter valve, but it didn't come with any instructions of what goes where on any of the 6 ports, and that is what brought me to this point. I started to search for how to install the valve, and found very little information on the forums. One of the issues with the BX22 tractor is that you must remove the loader valve with the loader when you remove the loader from the tractor, and then you take the right hand loader upright free of the right hand cylinder and loader arm, and put it back onto the tractor to operate the snow blower. It gets to be tedious disconnecting all the hydraulics to remove the loader, and then having to disassemble the loader arm to put the hydraulics back on the tractor. This is why I want to find a simple solution that will have easy connections.
You can likely mount the diverter valve onto that loader support. Tell us what the labels are on the diverter valve and we can help you out with the hose routing..

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
A - b

d - c

p1 - p2
P1 and P2 connect to the ports on your loader valve that now go to the bucket, then connect the hoses that go to the bucket to a and b and the hoses to the grapple or the chute deflector to the ports marked c and d.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Because I have to disconnect all the hoses to remove the loader, can these hoses that will be connecting to the valve be hooked up with disconnects, or will that put too much of a flow restriction on them? I believe that I will need to add 6 additional disconnects and hoses to plumb this into the system.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Because I have to disconnect all the hoses to remove the loader, can these hoses that will be connecting to the valve be hooked up with disconnects, or will that put too much of a flow restriction on them? I believe that I will need to add 6 additional disconnects and hoses to plumb this into the system.
We always use disconnects. They probably create some restriction but the convenience is worth it.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
We always use disconnects. They probably create some restriction but the convenience is worth it.
You likely can eliminate the quick connectors between the loader valve and the diverter valve depending where you mount the diverter.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Another word of advice.

Decide which use is the most important for your diverter valve.

Then hook that circuit to the ports of the diverter that receive flow without electrical power.

Then you can use the diverter immediately to use whatever was working before the diverter was installed..... the bucket for example.

Dave

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks for all for advise. I also need to find a way to attach the switch to the loader valve, and have been looking for a valve handle that can be adapted to the shaft on my present loader valve. I have yet to find one that is under $150. Any suggestions where I might find a less expensive one?
Tomorrow I will attempt to find a location for the diverter valve that will be simple to connect all the hoses to.
thanks

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Found one on eBay after doing a lot of searching. It isn't ideal since I will have to reshape my loader valve to install it to the loader handle, but right now, it seems like the only choice. eBay item number: 273691418668

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273691418668
I'm sure you could make that work..... seems like overkill though when all you need is a tiny momentary contact switch!

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I know its an older thread but its still relevant. I want to be sure I have all the answers before I spend hard earned money. I know 3rd function and diverter valves are different.
If I'm correct, with a 3FV (3rd function valve) Its all the way on or all the way off. No feathering the pressure.
With a DV (deverter valve) I loose the ability to curl and "pinch" at the same time but, I gain the ability to feather the "pinch" control.
Put another way, if I were to be running a snow plow on the FEL, and it had the ability to be angled hydraulically left or right, With a 3FV It would be all the way right or all the way left. With a DV, I would be able to angle the blade left or right to any desired angle.

Am I correct?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know its an older thread but its still relevant. I want to be sure I have all the answers before I spend hard earned money. I know 3rd function and diverter valves are different.
If I'm correct, with a 3FV (3rd function valve) Its all the way on or all the way off. No feathering the pressure.
With a DV (deverter valve) I loose the ability to curl and "pinch" at the same time but, I gain the ability to feather the "pinch" control.
Put another way, if I were to be running a snow plow on the FEL, and it had the ability to be angled hydraulically left or right, With a 3FV It would be all the way right or all the way left. With a DV, I would be able to angle the blade left or right to any desired angle.

Am I correct?
Your a little off in your thinking, 3rd function valves are not just on or off.
They are on - off - on, or another way of thinking Right - Off - Left, or Opening - Holding - Closing.
The buttons for the control are momentary.
They can be stopped at any point along its route.

Diverter valves on the other hand have an On and Off function.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Ok so using my snow plow analogy, With a 3FV I can control the movement but with a little less precision. The up/down or left/right buttons on a 3FV are momentary and so to a degree controllable.
So the decision comes down to #1 price and #2 the loss of curl and 3rd function at the same time and #3 to a lessor degree, control ability of the 3rd function.