Direction change HST

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
Hi,

I am new (<1 year) to bx operation and have a question. I mow and plow with my 1860 and I sometimes use the forward and reverse pedals to change direction without using the brake pedal. Is this bad? Should the tractor be completely stopped with the brake pedal before changing direction?

thanks,

Fred

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well coming to a stop will save some wear and tear on you and the tractor,, moving one way and quickly changing directions will wear parts out as well and being a rather unsafe act if your moving slow forward and then lightly pressing the back pedel its no big deal but full on one way or the other your gona tear something up, maybe your self and that s not a good thing

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Cannot hurt to just use pedal as the other is mostly a parking brake and emergency brake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
No, you won't hurt anything doing what you've been doing. Skeets is correct, going from full speed forward to full speed reverse would be tough on you and the equipment, and the lawn for that matter, but for normal mowing, you're fine. Years ago the Cub Cadet salesman was demonstrating their new hydro-static transmissions at a local dealer by going from full forward to full reverse without damage, but I would think that would have to affect something after a while.
If I'm working on a hill I'll use the brake pedal to stop before reversing, or if I have a lot of weight in the loader bucket, but otherwise I just ease up on the pedal and then go the opposite direction.

Jerry

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I love my HST...its quick and fast...if your bucketing dirt...or moving snow...or unloading several pallets off a truck with forks...back and forth quickly. If I had to have a stick and clutch I'd sell the dam thing.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What they said, I can go weeks to months without touching my brakes.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
For most purposes I use the HST pedal the same as the gas pedal in a car... you put your heel on the floor and press with your toes to go forward. But since the tractor is much slower than a car, you seldom need to "brake to a stop", it naturally comes to a gentle halt when you lift your toe off the pedal. Once it's stopped, shifting your heel a bit to the left lets you go in reverse.

Some folks put their whole foot on the HST pedal, which lets them make an instant forward-to-reverse change by simply rocking their foot back and forth. That never appealed to me personally because it was harder for me to control and made for a jerky ride on any sort of bumpy ground. So using it mostly like a "gas pedal" just seemed more natural to me.

But if you're a "whole foot on the pedal" kind of guy, try to avoid those whiplash-inducing direction changes. The tractor, and your neck, will both last longer. :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I sometimes use the forward and reverse pedals to change direction without using the brake pedal. Is this bad?"

IF like other said - you are doing that back and forth, you will heat up the fluid quicker, you will place torque strain on the drivetrain........
as others have said, allow the movement to stop or come very close to stopping and then change direction...

and as for the pedal placement - it simply does not make sense on a HST to place the pedals side by side.....why? for the simple reason placing a movement forward with the toes makes you go forward, and heeling it makes you go back.

two pedals close could be hit at the same time, more the reason it was changed, and I am guessing here, is a safety thing - someone who is not used to the machine steps on the wrong pedal and goes forward or backwards into a problem spot.......the wifes car, the building ...etc....

I will agree that heel to toe with boots on, like moving dirt, gravel etc will work on the ol calf muscle!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The rocker type pedal doesn't work very well if you have small feet :D. On the 3560 I have to lift my foot up and move it back to use reverse as a down pressure with the toe on the back part of the rocker,'but there is plenty of room and it is easy. On the 2650 the pedal is a different shape and it works better to lift the front of the pedal by putting the toes under it rather than shifting the whole foot back. My neighbor just bought a JD instead of a Kubota BX because she didn't like the treadle pedal and also the height of the FEL control lever hurt her shoulder to use. I sat on her tractor and the layout is nicer for a small person. So to answer the question, neither is "better" it is personal preference.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The rocker type pedal doesn't work very well if you have small feet :D. On the 3560 I have to lift my foot up and move it back to use reverse as a down pressure with the toe on the back part of the rocker,'but there is plenty of room and it is easy. On the 2650 the pedal is a different shape and it works better to lift the front of the pedal by putting the toes under it rather than shifting the whole foot back. My neighbor just bought a JD instead of a Kubota BX because she didn't like the treadle pedal and also the height of the FEL control lever hurt her shoulder to use. I sat on her tractor and the layout is nicer for a small person. So to answer the question, neither is "better" it is personal preference.
Agree and of course not all treadle pedals or side-by-side are the same size. I use the same technique as you on my Grand L40, whereas on the L30, heel and toe worked better. We are on our third John Deere and actually had one of hose before a Kubota and my wife prefers the BX rocker over the 1025R side-by-side.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I had a Deere 3032e prior to my L2501. One of the very few things I liked better about the Deere was the two pedals for the HST. If I could change anything about the 2501, it would be the pedal.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I agree, I liked the deer pedal setup better when I test drove it and still do. As my dealer said, I got use to the Kubota style and never have to think about it but that doesn't mean I like it.

I also wear a size 13 1/2 and I cant heal toe the peddles; well technically I can but to go into reverse while keeping a toe on the forward puts your leg in a very awkward position. Really the whole pedal arrangement and linkage that doesn't reset to neutral is just a piss poor design. Too bad because everything else is so well done.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I seem to be in the minority, but I prefer the rocker pedal setup on the BX2230 over the arrangement used on the newer tractors.

Bobjones

Equipment
B2650
Sep 24, 2014
Mid Canada
I have a Kubota B2650 hsd. I have a medical problem and I'm looking for plans or ideas on converting to John Deer style of double hsd pedels. I'm hoping someone else has done it and is willing to share ideas or pictures.
Regards, Bobjones

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
I dont have small feet size 13 on a L2501 thread peddle. But I do usually take a second for forward or reverse work just to think about what I am doing. So most times I drive into a pile or back up and for a second thinking ok what am I doing here. So with me not constant back and forth etc.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
On my L3301 Iuse my toe on both directions , lift toe tractor stops. Very seldom use the brake while operating but I do set parking brake when in the barn.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I almost never use mine. I use the emergency brake way more than the pedal brake.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
All you guys with the treadle pedal, do you also have independent rear brakes, or do they not do that on HST machines? Seems like there would be alot going on to take advantage them. If there is, how do you use them and where are the pedals located? Is there a treadle, two brake pedals and a clutch pedal?:eek:

Bobjones

Equipment
B2650
Sep 24, 2014
Mid Canada
All you guys with the treadle pedal, do you also have independent rear brakes, or do they not do that on HST machines? Seems like there would be alot going on to take advantage them. If there is, how do you use them and where are the pedals located? Is there a treadle, two brake pedals and a clutch pedal?:eek:
In my case the HST is on the right and independent brake on the left. Park brake is a lever to lock the brake pedals. I have seen some models with both treadle and brakes on the right. I didn't care to much for that.