Difficult terrain and encroaching nature

Sniffle

Equipment
BX 1870
May 3, 2021
Birmingham AL
Ok, so I have roughly 17 acres usable is about 7ish.

As a baseline almost none of my property is flat.

To make matters easier I created a video covering my main maintenance needs and what I'm needing to cover, pictures don't do justice and give as good of a sense of scale in certain areas.

Implement wise im looking at an offset flail mower and loader, possibly considering a backhoe as well.

I originally was looking at a BX23S as my BX1870 with belly mower handles yard maintenance fine, but the heavier tasks of keep nature back it can't handle.

I'm looking for implement and tractor suggestions, I know this is a complex problem with compromises no matter which way I go.

I'm just hoping to get a more experienced person's view and suggestion, as it's overwhelming at this point, so many implements and requirements.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Hire a tractor mounted boom mower, once a year to keep mother nature at bay. The first year don't be scared about pushing it back, it might look a little sparse but after that it'll be like trimming a hedge. Keep you money in your pocket. To do your drive way you'd need a tractor that can supply enough hydraulic fluid for a bucket mounted mower and if you try using the same rig near the pond dam, you're asking for trouble. Of course there's always the hand method i.e. machetes', pole mounted chain saws, etc.. Just my .02

Sniffle

Equipment
BX 1870
May 3, 2021
Birmingham AL
The hand method is the only currently available option, every spring/fall/winter... it sucks lol

I've considered trying to bribe the county to do my driveway when they come through lol.

Around the pond and the pond dam... yeah... its a headache

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I do not have nor used one but it is what you need. Just get a big enough tractor to to handle it. Also add ballast to the tires and get R1 ag tires so that you can set the wheels wide and add cast iron weights along with the liquid ballast to make the tractor stead with the mower up in the air. Make sure the tractor can pump enough hydraulic oil to run the mower.

There is another brand.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If no one in your area does boom mowing it might present an opportunity. There's probably other land owners that need similar work performed. If you've ever considered a side hustle, look into a used 9K -11K rubber tracked excavator with a thumb, ditch bucket and a 42 inch boom mounted mower. That and a 30 foot half tilt triaxle trailer, you'll be ready to go to work.