Diesel transportation and storage ... any suggestions?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I believe a LA-1065 loader is rated at around 1700 lbs 20-inches forward of the pins, so subtract the wt of your pallet forks from that.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The JohnDow 106 gallon tank that I ordered has a provision for an additional 10 gallon DEF tank that comes with its own pump and nozzle so I was thinking that I could add one and use it for diesel to give 116 gallons of fuel storage as well as provide some redundancy with a spare pump and nozzle. Then I checked the price! At $495 it's half way to the cost of a complete 106 gallon tank so cross that off my wish list!

58-Gallon and 106-Gallon Diesel Carrytank » John Dow

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
And here's the GL7000 generator that will be using some of that fuel. Now that I have a generator I'm sure that the power will never go out again. It'll be interesting to see how well the generator handles running a welding machine. I didn't buy it for that purpose but it's always good to know one's options.

I bought some really nice air filled wheels/casters a few years ago for another project but will use them on a dolly for this generator. I'll need to weld up a steel frame this weekend and get the generator mounted to it. I'll also need to figure out how to hook it up to the house when needed. I've found an interlock kit that will work with my old breaker panel and will go the "cheap" but reliable/simple route with an exterior outlet that connects to a breaker in the box with the interlock kit to prevent problems.

1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks to everyone for your replies with lots of suggestions and solutions to think about. I mentioned this to a friend and he sent me a link to a 106 gallon one stop shop tank that appears to be a good product. I agree with @DustyRusty that any tank that I transport back and forth needs to be DOT approved.

Skid Steer Basics Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank | Skid Steer Solutions
I have 100 and 200 gallon semi tanks that I use, they are mounted to skids that I just either fork onto a trailer or truck when they need filled.
Good part are the tanks are DOT approved.
I fitted them with barometric valves and an electric pump.

GO to NAPA and get a bottle of Stanadyne and a Bottle of SOLTRON (NOT STARTRON).
This will keep the fuel stable and bug free for years.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
GO to NAPA and get a bottle of Stanadyne and a Bottle of SOLTRON (NOT STARTRON).
This will keep the fuel stable and bug free for years.
I ordered a couple of bottles of Stanadyne from Amazon that should be here in a couple of days. I used to run Stanadyne in a Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3L back in 2002 through 2005.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The JohnDow tank arrived last Friday at the local Home Depot and I was finally able to pick it up this afternoon. When I saw it I thought there's no way that the tank holds 106 gallons but I filled it up on the way home and it took almost 107 gallons. I could have put a little more in to be honest.

I'm getting better at swapping out front end implements, particularly on flat ground, so it was no trouble switching the bucket for the pallet forks and unloading the fuel tank from the trailer. I plan on making a dolly for the tank so that I don't need to drive the MX into the garage since I have to lower the ROPS to do that. I ran the pump off the MX battery and topped off the fuel tank which worked well and certainly easier than holding a couple of 5 gallon jugs above the fill hole which I soon found to be a pain. The 12V pump is a bit noisy but not a big deal.

Overall I'm very pleased with the JohnDow fuel tank, pump and nozzle and now it's safely stored at the back of the garage. Depending on how fast I go through 106 gallons I might end up buying another tank but this should do for now. I also want to look into a dedicated battery and trickle charger so that I don't need to hook up the pump to the MX, BX, GL7000, Ford or Jeep in order to dispense fuel.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and explanations of how you store and dispense fuel. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone else who's considering the best way to store fuel at the house.

jd_1.jpg

jd_2.jpg

jd_3.jpg

jd_4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I also want to look into a dedicated battery and trickle charger so that I don't need to hook up the pump to the MX, BX, GL7000, Ford or Jeep in order to dispense fuel.

That's a good idea. For that use, consider getting a battery that matches one or more of your tractors. That way you have a spare always charged. Also, get desulfator charger (BatteryMINDer or NOCO Genius line). It's a proven technology and it will prolong your battery life by years.

Looking good! (y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That's a good idea. For that use, consider getting a battery that matches one or more of your tractors. That way you have a spare always charged. Also, get desulfator charger (BatteryMINDer or NOCO Genius line). It's a proven technology and it will prolong your battery life by years.

Looking good! (y)

Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated. :)