Diesel transportation and storage ... any suggestions?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm on the verge of buying a Kubota diesel generator that I've had my eye on and would like to have more fuel on hand at the house. Currently I'm filling 5 gallon containers for the MX and BX but would like to have more storage that I can trailer to the local fuel supplier to fill up when needed. I don't want to install a slip tank in the bed of my Ford since I have the Decked system in the bed along with a Snug Top.

I have a 275 gallon plastic container in an aluminum frame which I could lift on/off a trailer using pallet forks (that I'd need to buy). Or would a better option be to buy a new tank with integral pallet. I'm new to this so interested to see how folks here solve the problem of fuel availability, transport and storage.

Thanks.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
You can usually find used slip tanks for cheap, maybe mount it on a small trailer frame? Or what about a 45g drum? Oops, I mean 55us gallons :). Lots of options for hand or electric pumps, plus then it should actually be legal to fill and haul, I dunno if an IBC tote would be (for fuel?)

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Anytime that you have a container that holds a lot of fuel, you run the risk of having a leak, which can trigger a hazardous waste clean up which you will have to pay for out of your pocket. For that reason alone, I would suggest that you find a new or used Roth tank. The Roth tank is a very durable inner tank made of a very strong plastic, and it is enclosed in a galvanized steel outer container. It has 4 bung holes at the top, and you can use those holes for a transfer pump, a gauge to tell you how much fuel is in the tank, and anything else that you can think of. They are UL listed for inside or outside use with a special lid to protect the fittings from the environment. I recently purchased a used 165 gallon one for $300, and I have seen them many times on Craigslist.com. The most common size is 275 gallons and if you have the room for it. You don't have to fill it, but just buy the amount of off road or home heating diesel fuel that you think you will need. Around here the minimum delivery is 150 gallons, and that should be enough for my tractor and generator for a couple of years, unless we have 10 day power outages again. Usually the power outages are less than 24 hours.
I am going to pour a pad alongside of the garage, and put the tank on the pad. I will use an electric pump to fuel my tractor, and I will pipe the generator directly to the tank. I will also treat the entire tank with Service Power, so I don't have to worry about fuel gelling in the winter.

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have one of these and love the ease and pump rate. It is expensive but in the long run it is so quick and easy to use. I just filled it and used all the fuel last weekend between 3 tractors, track loader and excavator!

Emiliana Serbatoi Carrytank 58 Gallon Portable Diesel Container with Electric Pump for sale at $799 on Amazon

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I have a 275 gallon plastic container in an aluminum frame which I could lift on/off a trailer using pallet forks (that I'd need to buy). Or would a better option be to buy a new tank with integral pallet.
I've been using one of those totes for my fuel for a while now. It works fine. No need to buy anything new.

I do plan to move to a metal tank, though. I got one for free from CL when someone was converting from oil heat. Came about half full, too! :D

I plan to pour a slab for it, too, to keep things neat.

Yes, home heating oil is just #2 diesel with the red off-road dye in it. Lots of people run it in their tractors.

ShortMagFan

Equipment
MX5800HST
Jun 1, 2016
N/S Carolina
I mounted a 55 gallon Jon Dow diesel pump on a tiny little harbor freight trailer. Tow it to town, fill it up, tow it back to the farm. No more 5 gallon tanks

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
I got a reconditioned 55 gallon drum, certified to use with diesel. Its epoxy coated on the inside and the top comes off for cleaning and seals with a clamp. It cost about $40 at a local reconditioner. I put some diesel and warning stickers on it. I put it in the metal cage from one of those 275 gallon plastic tanks mentioned above and use the forks to lift it on the trailer whenever i need to fill it. I got a battery powered pump for filling.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the container that you are hauling diesel in, doesn't have a DOT certification, and you get stopped by a cop that knows the laws, you will have a problem. Best to cover it once it is in the back of your truck. If you are transporting it on an open trailer, you are fair game. Last summer, a lot of the local landscapers got stopped for using non approved gasoline containers.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Consider renting from the fuel delivery guy. I've got a certified new double walled 300 gal steel tank with electric pump, meter and filters for $120/year rent. No worries about somebody opening the stop cock on the bottom of your 300 gallon tote and a cleanup disaster on your hands.

At that rental price it would take me 20+ years to recover the cost of buying a tank. And they get to worry about the liability aspects.

Reactions: 3 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
At that rental price it would take me 20+ years to recover the cost of buying a tank. And they get to worry about the liability aspects.
That ain't a bad idea at all!

On the other hand, a home heating oil tank might be free on CL, if you can be patient and vigilant, and you can have the fuel delivered to your tank.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Consider renting from the fuel delivery guy. I've got a certified new double walled 300 gal steel tank with electric pump, meter and filters for $120/year rent. No worries about somebody opening the stop cock on the bottom of your 300 gallon tote and a cleanup disaster on your hands.

When I spoke to a woman at the local fuel supplier yesterday she didn't mention anything about renting a turnkey system. I'll call Monday and ask if they have such a program. That's definitely a very good option if available.

Thanks for the suggestion.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
When I spoke to a woman at the local fuel supplier yesterday she didn't mention anything about renting a turnkey system. I'll call Monday and ask if they have such a program. That's definitely a very good option if available.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It pays to call around and find the company that wants your business. Talk with your neighbors too.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It pays to call around and find the company that wants your business. Talk with your neighbors too.
I called the bigger fuel suppliers up here and none of them offer a fuel tank rental program so that's not an option for me.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If the container that you are hauling diesel in, doesn't have a DOT certification, and you get stopped by a cop that knows the laws, you will have a problem. Best to cover it once it is in the back of your truck. If you are transporting it on an open trailer, you are fair game. Last summer, a lot of the local landscapers got stopped for using non approved gasoline containers.
I don’t know about your particular local laws.... but I’ll be willing to bet that is actually not correct, and for several reasons. I transport my 160-gal propane tank full of diesel (and the tank is clearly labelled “DIESEL”) on an open trailer ...properly chained-down, of course.

Diesel is not gasoline.... which is extremely flammable and often has stringent local transport/storage rules that do Not apply to diesel and oils. (It’s about as dangerous as vegetable oil....and I’ll bet there’s no rule against transporting peanut oil.). ;)

Where I live there’s no law against it and in most locales the Federal DOT transport do not apply unless you use a Federal highway/Interstate and cross state lines. Even then, most agricultural provisions exempt for ag use.

I posted my solution here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/show-me-your-refueling-setup.29684/post-247691

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I mounted a 55 gallon Jon Dow diesel pump on a tiny little harbor freight trailer. Tow it to town, fill it up, tow it back to the farm. No more 5 gallon tanks

After looking at different fuel tank models and systems I'm leaning towards a 106 gallon JohnDow model. I can order one from Home Depot for $1,053 with free shipping to the store. It's a turnkey system and corrosion won't be an issue since it's made of polyethylene. If I like it enough and find myself going through fuel fairly quickly I could always buy a second one. I like it better than the one from Skid Steer Solutions with what appears to be a better pallet fork interface.

I want to keep the 275 gallon tote for water and have a set of pallet forks arriving today so that I can move it around with the MX and also load/unload the John Dow tank (or similar) on/off my aluminum trailer. I will also be able to load/unload the Kubota GL7000 generator if needed.

58-Gallon and 106-Gallon Diesel Carrytank » John Dow

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t know about your particular local laws.... but I’ll be willing to bet that is actually not correct, and for several reasons. I transport my 160-gal propane tank full of diesel (and the tank is clearly labelled “DIESEL”) on an open trailer ...properly chained-down, of course.

Diesel is not gasoline.... which is extremely flammable and often has stringent local transport/storage rules that do Not apply to diesel and oils. (It’s about as dangerous as vegetable oil....and I’ll bet there’s no rule against transporting peanut oil.). ;)

Where I live there’s no law against it and in most locales the Federal DOT transport do not apply unless you use a Federal highway/Interstate and cross state lines. Even then, most agricultural provisions exempt for ag use.

I posted my solution here: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/show-me-your-refueling-setup.29684/post-247691
You've done a great job making your own fuel storage solution. I would do that but there are some possible downsides. Finding a good donor tank for one. I have lots of other pressing projects so I think buying a turnkey system is the best way forward for me at this stage. The JohnDow or similar will be in the garage so won't be exposed to sunlight.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. I ended up ordering a JohnDow 106 gallon tank system and it should arrive at the local Home Depot in a couple of weeks or less. Just like EA, Home Depot charged my CC but that's not a big deal to me.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Keep in mind that your full JohnDow 106 tank will weigh approx 800 lbs when full and that will place quite a load on your front axle unless you have a rear implement, ballast, etc on the rear of your tractor. Be Especially careful not to turn your steering too far/hard left or right while you have it on your pallet forks as that can roll your tractor hard and really mistreats the front axle. (BTDT)
Keep it low. ;)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Keep in mind that your full JohnDow 106 tank will weigh approx 800 lbs when full and that will place quite a load on your front axle unless you have a rear implement, ballast, etc on the rear of your tractor. Be Especially careful not to turn your steering too far/hard left or right while you have it on your pallet forks as that can roll your tractor hard and really mistreats the front axle. (BTDT)
Keep it low. ;)
My aluminum trailer has a deck height of 19" so not too high. I have other trailers but I'll be using the Cargo Pro to haul the container to/from the local fuel supplier. The 275 gallon tote will weigh 2200 lb if full of water so I wonder what my chances are of moving it with the MX and pallet forks. Guess I'll find out.