Diesel Anti Gel preference

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Last winter wasn't very cold, but we've already had 4 days below freezing here in South Carolina. I suspect this will be a cold winter, so I would like to add some anti-gel so I can keep the tractor running smoothly.

What is your preferred anti-gel and why?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Any of the diesel fuel conditioners will work.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I use Howes Diesel Treat for a variety of reasons: anti-gel, removes water and lubes system. Is it better than the others? I have no idea.

However in keeping with many posters about items that cannot be proven better or worse, I will say that any claims other brands are good are the proclamations of heretics. :ROFLMAO:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use Power Service Silver bottle summer, and white bottle winter.

Mainly because I can get it. There are several good options.

Maybe more importantly, I use a biocide all year. Happens to be Power Service also, again because I can get it.

Reactions: 3 users

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I live in TN and use Howes in my truck and tractor. If you are buying fuel at the station they will have number 2 with additives in it also so it won't gel.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I live in TN and use Howes in my truck and tractor. If you are buying fuel at the station they will have number 2 with additives in it also so it won't gel.
I've heard good things about Howes too.

True about winter diesel, I think they say November 1.

In upstate New York it can get quite brisk.

Several years back we had a cold snap. I saw my friend trying to fuel up his HVAC service truck. I think it was -10 or -15F.

Diesel was gelled in the pump.

I think that was the February our average temp was 9F for the month. I don't trust the winter diesel when it gets that cold.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
didnt watch the video but I use the power service stuff pictured above

dmbjohn

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC FEL60"SSQA ,LP 60" BB, HLA 42" forks, Ingersoll 4118 snowblower
Apr 8, 2017
New Era, MI
Last winter wasn't very cold, but we've already had 4 days below freezing here in South Carolina. I suspect this will be a cold winter, so I would like to add some anti-gel so I can keep the tractor running smoothly.

I tend to use power service diesel(white bottle) mainly because its always been readily available in my area, I put some bio-bore in also to prevent growth. Havent had any issues. Its what the marinas I used to work at used, I think mainly again because it was easy to get a hold of around here. I have used standyne as well in the past but that is a bit harder to come by here usually. I have heard good things about hot shots and opti lube also… really I think there are a lot of good options out there that will work well. Some of it just comes down to what's available where you are at, the internet is great but pricing can be wacky at times.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You just had to start one more post on a topic that none of us can agree on. The only thing that is agreed on, if you get below freezing, use a product.

This is what I use:

STA-BIL Diesel All Season | Gold Eagle

Advanced year-round formula for all your additive needs
Cleans and lubricates entire fuel system
Demulsifies water
Anti-gel protection down to -40°F
Boosts Cetane
Safe for all diesel engines

• Haha

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
It gets to -35c here, I use kleen-flo conditioner. I start using it in my fuel cans at the end of September. Last winter I didn’t have a single fuel issue with my BX.

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Thank you everyone. I didn't know Project Farm did a test on diesel conditioners. I will watch his video and go with that.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville

Doubt you need it in SC.

Only time anti gel was needed in 39 years of driving diesel cars and now 17 years diesel tractors was one morning in Vt @ -22 F. Had lower rad hose heater; so the old 220D started fine but died about a mile down the road. Let sit a minute or two. Restarted. Drove about another mile before it quit. Restarted. Fine after that. Fuel filter on a Benz is right next to the engine block.

If you ever get it on your tractor (not likely in SC), just use a hair drier and run its discharge air onto the fuel bow/filter area.

Gel is just wax. It melts.