Dies after starting

Skydivr000

Equipment
7040M
Aug 4, 2022
My 7040 came with my property, so I don't have much history on it. When I start it, it fires instantly and runs smooth for about 5 seconds. If I do nothing, it will die and won't restart. If I remove the fuel filter it will be down an inch or so and if I fill it, put it back on and restart it, generally it's fine for the day. If I start it cold and hold it to the floor when it starts to die, it will usually catch and run fine. I'm not one that likes to Rev an engine immediately upon startup. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks. Gary

Popeyecop

Equipment
L175, L3901
Sep 14, 2017
Chester, IL
I would drain the fuel, if it came with the ground, get a fresh start with it. Drain it and change the fuel filter. Then put a fuel additive to help with those issues.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I remember reading something about the o ring that seals the fuel bowl being the culprit in another thread. The bowl won’t leak, but the bad seal let’s engine pull air in.

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
My 7040 came with my property, so I don't have much history on it. When I start it, it fires instantly and runs smooth for about 5 seconds. If I do nothing, it will die and won't restart. If I remove the fuel filter it will be down an inch or so and if I fill it, put it back on and restart it, generally it's fine for the day. If I start it cold and hold it to the floor when it starts to die, it will usually catch and run fine. I'm not one that likes to Rev an engine immediately upon startup. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks. Gary
Open the fuel line where it comes out of the lift pump and crank the engine. Do you get a CONTINUOUS, big stream of fuel coming out of the lift pump? If you do the system is delivering adequate fuel. If it isn't, the lift pump maybe bad or the fuel delivery to the lift pump is inadequate. Remove the fuel line at the outlet of the fuel filter . You should have a CONTINUOUS stream of fuel. If it is intermittent or dribbles, the lift pump is most likely good and the problem is upstream, most likely the fuel filter (the filter itself or the filter head may be clogged) or the tank outlet strainer is the issue. If the fuel flow is good at that point (CONTINUOUS FULL STREAM) then I'd suspect the Injector pump.

Reactions: 1 user