Did anyone go from a zero turn to a Kubota BX for mowing?

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
I also used to mow with a pull behind rough cut on my L-Series. My front field had a lot of brush and weeds but the more I mowed it the more the weeds were replaced by grass. I bought a Zero Turn and what used to take me a whole weekend now only takes me 4 hours, and I'm not scalping the field all the time (my field has lots of hills and is very uneven). The zero turn does much better on the hills too. On hills that I was grabbing the handles to hold onto my seat with the tractor, I feel much more confident with the ZTR because of the lower center of gravity.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My brother seems to have the best compromise.... a Toro Zero turn where the seat assembly is on a suspension system.

It is a large cast aluminum pan holding the seat and foot area all on springs and shocks.

forum zero turn suspension seat.jpg

I took over his non suspension zero turn and found it a big improvement over a Cub Cadet garden tractor and a Land Pride 72" behind a farm tractor.

The amount of time saved with the Zero turn makes up for all its other short comings except when it is stinking hot and then the AC in the cab of a Kubota pulling the Land Pride cannot be beat. :)

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Good morning folks, I mow 25 acres and have zero turn and 2 bx2230 60” decks. I am going to the other side of the spectrum with refueling. I get 8hrs of mowing with 5 gallons of fuel with the bota’s and 3 hrs on 5 gallons on gas power. Plus I can keep up speed with bota’s when the grass is high. I personally take my diesel bota’s any day of the week. I hope this helps.
Have you ever heard of a diesel powered zero turn? That eliminates the refueling issue!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Have you ever heard of a diesel powered zero turn? That eliminates the refueling issue!

Had one, a TORO, 6' cutter, ran OUT of diesel 1/4mile down the road...so I KNOW you have to refuel a diesel sooner than later.......fun ride after I joysticked it.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Im about to convert a PTO slasher to a skid steer mount and powered by a hydraulic motor.
The job is for a client not me and will be used on a bobcat.
Easy job, mount gets reversed and a SSQA plate added. Then remove the shaft coupling andmount a motor

For mowing I use my ZT, it's 3-4 times faster and can get into all the spots where the BX cant get.
I have a fail mower but only use it to clean up the creek bank twice a year

Bota2230

Equipment
Bx2230
Apr 30, 2021
Quakertown pa
I have both bota’s and z-turn mowing and it takes us 4hrs with 3 mowers running for 25 acres! We are mowing a school yard for free tuition for 4 kids for a Christian school! I bought both bota’s that came with mower decks and snow blower and front end loader for $16,000! I couldn’t buy a diesel a-turn for that so I thought it was the neat deal for our family and my whole family helps with the mowing and trimming which I feel bless with.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I went from a B7510 60” deck to a Gravely Zero 60” and would never go back! But.. that 7510 mowed beautifully, just harder on my yard! Now I have the BX just for play!😊

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
I’ve currently got a Scag Freedom Z, but it only does one thing, and I need some more help around the farm. I have a Case IH 55A cab for the large stuff, but it’s too big to run the blower for leaves or aerator in the fall in my yard.

I picked up a 2018 BX1880 with MMM and loader recently and am testing it out. Obviously it does more stuff than the Scag, and doesn’t really take too much more time to mow my yard than the Scag does, but it does not seem to mow “quite” as well. I realize a tractor with mower is a comprise over a dedicated mowing machine, but the Kubota should be able to at least keep up I’d guess.

Anyone else gone from a zero to a BX, and if so what are your thoughts?
Mowing with a zero turn was like seeing God on my property. Lots of specimen trees to go around. Cut my time in half without exaggerating. Hard to justify the cost of a single use machine, but I love it.

Bota2230

Equipment
Bx2230
Apr 30, 2021
Quakertown pa
I only use the zero turn on my personal yard as it floats without making tracks in my swamp of a yard we have. I like how my Husqvarna cuts my yard as the clippings come out spreading all over so it shows less of the hay . We fertilized the yard and I never cut at 4” but I can’t keep up with it so 4” it is until it slows down growing.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I have both bota’s and z-turn mowing and it takes us 4hrs with 3 mowers running for 25 acres! We are mowing a school yard for free tuition for 4 kids for a Christian school! I bought both bota’s that came with mower decks and snow blower and front end loader for $16,000! I couldn’t buy a diesel a-turn for that so I thought it was the neat deal for our family and my whole family helps with the mowing and trimming which I feel bless with.
Wow, that was a great deal, and time well spent with family.

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
My brother seems to have the best compromise.... a Toro Zero turn where the seat assembly is on a suspension system.

It is a large cast aluminum pan holding the seat and foot area all on springs and shocks.

View attachment 59068

I took over his non suspension zero turn and found it a big improvement over a Cub Cadet garden tractor and a Land Pride 72" behind a farm tractor.

The amount of time saved with the Zero turn makes up for all its other short comings except when it is stinking hot and then the AC in the cab of a Kubota pulling the Land Pride cannot be beat. :)

Dave
I love the MyRide system.