Def delete question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Oh and by the way lean or rich is a description of mixture and does not apply to a diesel engine as been mentioned. All diesels should be running in an oxygen positive condition at almost all times

John Connolly

Equipment
Kubota SVL 95-2S
Jan 7, 2023
Abilene, Texas
The main issue here is that the emissions have been deleted on your machine. And I assume you have been a party to this as well as you dealer. I would not admit this by the way. The OEM will have nothing to do with this scenario as it is in violation of Federal law. They may admonish the dealer behind the scenes but they will most likely not help you of you have requested the delete.
I have no idea what the dealer and their mechanic did. I told them I wanted it repaired correctly. Every step of the way, I purchased what they advised. It started as an emissions issue and then kept going until I basically purchased a new engine, part for part. The dealer has be over a barrel. Not only the cost of the unit, but also the loss in value from all the attachments I can no longer use.

in my opinion, they are unfair and deceptive. I have not been a party to this, as the dealer will not provide me any written or verbal report on what happened or current status. I trusted their knowledge and integrity, and shouldn’t have.

Now I am just trying to get some salvage value out of what is left. We are a small not for profit family ranch, whose mission is to donate hunting events and retreats to veterans and clergy. We used the SVL 95 to basically fill feeders and grade roads. This expense has wiped us out. Kubota and the dealer knows this. They don’t care. They have enough new business to afford to pursue this business model. I should have listened to the consumers who have gone through this ringer, and switched to Case and Deere. My goal is to salvage all my Kubota heavy equipment and implements and find one good new tractor to maintain what’s left.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if the dealer knowingly tampered with emissions devices such that they are no longer able to perform the duty that they are supposed to, that's a federal deal-and a breach of dealer agreements, punishable by losing their dealer, fines if it's found to be illegal, etc. Kubota does not mess around, either.

I would bet that, if this is the cut-and-dried case, Kubota will help you, but you gotta call corporate and explain to them what's going on. The customer service line is "manned" by folks that are not mechanical in nature, so remember that. BUT--they can get a case started, and at that point they'll get the division service rep(s) involved, and that's when stuff starts happening.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
John,
You're last post is a poor attempt at pity!

We are a small not for profit family ranch, whose mission is to donate hunting events and retreats to veterans and clergy. We used the SVL 95 to basically fill feeders and grade roads.
Earlier you stated:
when they sold me a package deal, with a Diamond timber cutter.
That unit isn't for filling feeders and grading roads, That's a production Timber cutting unit, not something a not for profit would buy without some sence of return for the investment.

Not for profit ranch my backside!

Basically and simply in a nut shell.

Kubota Corporate isn't going to do a thing for you!
In fact raise enough stink and they will come after you and your business along with the Dealer.
I know that some of the Kubota Corporate people look at this forum from time to time.

You and your dealer have done illegal things by altering an emissions controlled vehicle.
You and your Dealer are both in the wrong.
Get a good Lawyer and hope they can dig you out of the hole you've dug yourself into.

Reactions: 3 users

John Connolly

Equipment
Kubota SVL 95-2S
Jan 7, 2023
Abilene, Texas
if the dealer knowingly tampered with emissions devices such that they are no longer able to perform the duty that they are supposed to, that's a federal deal-and a breach of dealer agreements, punishable by losing their dealer, fines if it's found to be illegal, etc. Kubota does not mess around, either.

I would bet that, if this is the cut-and-dried case, Kubota will help you, but you gotta call corporate and explain to them what's going on. The customer service line is "manned" by folks that are not mechanical in nature, so remember that. BUT--they can get a case started, and at that point they'll get the division service rep(s) involved, and that's when stuff starts happening.
This is true. I spent a lot of time documenting everything to a Kubota rep on the phone. Afterwards, she said it would not be referred to Kubota management, but only sent to the dealer. She did provide me a complaint number.

it appears that Kubota designed a Tier 4 engine to be EPA emissions compliant, that was cost competitive, but did not disclose their mechanical and business model was designed for failure, at the later cost of customers. It also appears that the driving force behind emissions reprogramming by third parties, is Kubota’s refusal to warrant emission related parts. In my case, the heated urea line sensors were malfunctioning causing the engine to go in to a limp mode. While still under warranty, the urea pump was loosing efficiency, as the root cause. I made a timely emissions warranty claim, but was denied. I would not be surprised if a class action claim develops. I hear this from all the Kubota owners I know. Once their emissions warranty expires, it becomes infeasible to operate. The dealer employees push the reprogramming as a solution, but throw customers under the bus when their profit is jeopardized by poor judgement and workmanship. In my opinion.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
They may admonish the dealer behind the scenes

That might depend on whether or not they know of him doing this in the past. If it's not his first rodeo, he might be losing his dealership. If it's the first time, I'm betting they'll document a warning (at the very least) to cover themselves with the feds.

but they will most likely not help you of you have requested the delete.
All warranty from Kubota went out the window with the DEF delete. Poof.

Straight from the Kubota's mouth:

As the engine owner, you should be aware, however, that KUBOTA may deny your warranty
coverage if your engine or a part has failed due to abuse, vandalism, neglect, improper
maintenance or unapproved modifications.

I'm pretty sure Kubota won't touch this situation with a 10 foot pole. It's between the OP's lawyer and the dealership, and hope nobody drops a dime to the EPA.

Hope it was worth it. (It wasn't.)

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
So basically you and the dealership did something illegal and it didn't work out, so now you want Kubota Corp. to fix it for free? As a GM dealership tech I am remembering all the issues I have seen with aftermarket programmer's that have destroyed the engine and the customer wants it to be GM to pay for the customer own actions. How about you call up your insurance company and tell them your a complete idiot and you want them to pay for YOUR mistakes(seen it before with people driving thru deep water and destroying engine). Or maybe trade in/sell and this time do the research and verify what you are buying is capable of doing what your want to do with it. This is why like others my diesel truck is stock and my tractor does not have tier4 emissions. Hope you kept all the extra parts for the emission system as those get expensive. Sorry in advance for being a jerk but, sometimes the truth hurts.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
it appears that Kubota designed a Tier 4 engine to be EPA emissions compliant, that was cost competitive, but did not disclose their mechanical and business model was designed for failure, at the later cost of customers. It also appears that the driving force behind emissions reprogramming by third parties, is Kubota’s refusal to warrant emission related parts.

Even if all of that were true (it isn't), you threw away every bit of legal standing you may have had when you had the dealer illegally modify the emissions system.

What part of ILLEGAL don't you understand?

You have a fight with the dealer. Keep that fight quietly between your lawer and their lawyers and you might come out of this without too much damage.

Try to make a case against Kubota and you'll be digging your own grave.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This thread is locked because the OP thought it was appropriate to delete it.
Will start another thread if needed.

Thread will be preserved for future use.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.