Dealing with body rust...

Rzims

Equipment
B7800
Apr 28, 2021
California
Hello,
New member, first time poster here.
I recently picked up a 2006 B7800. It was bought and left outside for several years up on the coast and although it only has 90 hours, there is quite a bit of body rust.
The fenders are actually rusted through in a couple of spots and there is surface rust on the arms and hood.
The tractor runs great and I just did an entire service for grease, fluids and filters.
I'm planning on sanding, priming and painting the rusted areas but will probably need new fenders at some point.
Anyone deal with this before? Thoughts, advice, comments welcome....

Thanks in advance
-Rich kubota.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This is an excellent product. I put it in a spritz bottle and spray on rust. It neutralizes it rust and puts a seal you can paint directly over.

Rzims

Equipment
B7800
Apr 28, 2021
California

Jester67

Jun 6, 2020
USA
Back when I restored old cars and trucks I used this stuff all the time more expensive than the link above but same concept and it is responsible for a lot of (Rustangs) Mustangs still being on the road. Not to mention the Chevy trucks for the 70's and early 80's.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I'm sure you have had a peek under the floor mat by now if concerned about rust. I've used the Eastwood along the inside bottom of auto doors where you can't get to where the weep holes are. Seemed to work pretty good!

Rzims

Equipment
B7800
Apr 28, 2021
California
I'm sure you have had a peek under the floor mat by now if concerned about rust. I've used the Eastwood along the inside bottom of auto doors where you can't get to where the weep holes are. Seemed to work pretty good!
Thank you and yes, under the floor mats wasn't as bad as I expected compared to the fenders, lift cylinders, and other metal parts.....maybe the rubber actually protected them a bit

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
do it right ...cut out the rusted areas 1/2 more than the rust, weld in new tin, same gauge as panels,grind flush, use epoxy primer, paint
NONE of the so called 'rust stoppers' will work for long.Yeah maybe a month or two, maybe a year, certainly not 5-10-20 years, not in Rustario !

Rzims

Equipment
B7800
Apr 28, 2021
California
do it right ...cut out the rusted areas 1/2 more than the rust, weld in new tin, same gauge as panels,grind flush, use epoxy primer, paint
NONE of the so called 'rust stoppers' will work for long.Yeah maybe a month or two, maybe a year, certainly not 5-10-20 years, not in Rustario !
yeah, at this point, I'll be sanding, priming and repainting the surface rust, will probably use rust stop products on fenders until I can find a new/used set to replace them with....

oldbiker

Equipment
D722 grasshopper, D850 wood splitter
May 11, 2021
indiana
Hello,
I recently picked up a 2006 B7800. It was bought and left outside for several years up on the coast and although it only has 90 hours, there is quite a bit of body rust.
The fenders are actually rusted through in a couple of spots and there is surface rust on the arms and hood.
The tractor runs great and I just did an entire service for grease, fluids and filters.
I'm planning on sanding, priming and painting the rusted areas but will probably need new fenders at some point.

Thanks in advance
-Rich View attachment 59412
You can sand forever and you will never stop rust. Just get it smooth and coat 2 to 4 times with rust killer. there are several good ones on the market. As long as it turns the rust black you have a good one. For the holes fiberglass is your best bet. Paint on a coat of glass stick one or 2 layers of cloth over the hole while it's still wet and paint on 2 more coats after that dries. Sand it out and your good to go.

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
Cryin damn shame when folks just leave a great machine out to just rust away. See it with old cars/trucks all the time.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
Hello,

Thanks in advance
-Rich View attachment 59412
If there is rusted through places probably the easiest solution would be to replace the parts if you can find them. If not go ahead and take it down to bare metal so you can see how much you need to cut out and weld new metal in. The rest of it take it completely down to bare metal and treat it with phosphoric acid and rinse. Then prime it with an epoxy primer before using any body filler. Epoxy has a recoat window usually around 8 hours so when you get the body work done prime it again with epoxy primer. Any of it that needs no body work you might use a filler primer right away. That is sandable and would eliminate the recoat window. The paint I would recommend MBC acrylic enamel which is made by Pittsburgh Paint.