Dealer negotiation / pricing

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
Hi All, I’ve found a dealer with a B2601 on the lot. It appears to be priced above mrsp.
Wondering what people’s experiences are of negotiating in this crazy time e.g. covid, high demand, supply chain issues.

Are people paying over mrsp, under?

Thanks

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would go to the Kubota website and determine the MSRP and offer that. Simply tell them that's all you will pay. Take it or leave it.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I would go to the Kubota website and determine the MSRP and offer that. Simply tell them that's all you will pay. Take it or leave it.
Not great advice if the OP really wants the machine.

I would ask about a quote on the machine and show you are very interested. Then politely show them that they are pricing above MSRP and see if they will negotiate. They might help in other ways, first service supplies, throw in a quick hitch, etc to try and work a deal.

The dealer knows they will get a buyer in less than a week…so they aren’t going to respond to hardball tactics right now. It is a sellers market. However, that is probably why that dealer still has that B2601…they are above MSRP. However just like eBay someone will pay it.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

I would ask about a quote on the machine and show you are very interested. Then politely show them that they are pricing above MSRP and see if they will negotiate. They might help in other ways, first service supplies, throw in a quick hitch, etc to try and work a deal.

The dealer knows they will get a buyer in less than a week…so they aren’t going to respond to hardball tactics right now. It is a sellers market. However, that is probably why that dealer still has that B2601…they are above MSRP. However just like eBay someone will pay it.
I try not to really want anything.

I stand by my statement. The "take it or leave it" approach has served me well. Also, I try not to really want anything. I only purchase things under terms and conditions that I deem fair. I have no problem doing without. It will not always be a sellers market. If you want to be rich someday the establishment of good judgement should begin when you are young and continue thru out your life. People pay way too much for all sorts of things. Read up on my guiding light Warren Buffett. He would tell you the same thing.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I try not to really want anything.

I stand by my statement. The "take it or leave it" approach has served me well. Also, I try not to really want anything. I only purchase things under terms and conditions that I deem fair. I have no problem doing without. It will not always be a sellers market. If you want to be rich someday the establishment of good judgement should begin when you are young and continue thru out your life. People pay way too much for all sorts of things. Read up on my guiding light Warren Buffett. He would tell you the same thing.
Hey its your money. The tractor is the dealers until they decide to sell it for what they want. They don't care what you think is fair.

It really boils down to what the OP is willing to pay and why they need the machine sooner rather than later. Two years ago we would be having a very different conversation.

Reactions: 2 users

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
I would say it depends how much over msrp, the msrp does not include taxes , freight, delivery charges. I saw a post on a fourm where he was mad the dealer was more, but the extra was tax. So you need all the details.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
During these times, most dealers have lists of waiting customers to call. When I bought my MX recently, the dealers price was consistent with the Kubota website price. My negotiations consisted of asking for small extras such as filling tires, installing chain hooks on the bucket, a canopy, and seat arm rests. If you try to haggle too much, they will go down the list to the next waiting customer.

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
Great advice, thanks. I’m getting more details tomorrow. It’s a good time for me to get one ( I have time to use it). Interestingly choices are limited. I rented one for a month in Sept and it cost me just under $3k. That cost would soon add up. The used market is poor value, old tractors are not much cheaper then paying mrsp. Of course there is a chance that a better deal will come up on the used market. I’m not in a major rush. I work in a commercial role so understand supply and demand well. At the moment, if your selling it works in your favor.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
During these times, most dealers have lists of waiting customers to call. When I bought my MX recently, the dealers price was consistent with the Kubota website price. My negotiations consisted of asking for small extras such as filling tires, installing chain hooks on the bucket, a canopy, and seat arm rests. If you try to haggle too much, they will go down the list to the next waiting customer.
I did the same earlier this year. They have to make money and you want them to answer the phone when you call.

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
Hi All, I’ve found a dealer with a B2601 on the lot. It appears to be priced above mrsp.
Wondering what people’s experiences are of negotiating in this crazy time e.g. covid, high demand, supply chain issues.

Thanks
Bought the same tractor a few months ago at Kubota's web page price. Dealer had several on hand in crates. There was no negotiating on base price. Free delivery with full tank of fuel and discount on implements. Just my experience. Shop different dealers perhaps?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Do you have other Kubota dealers in close range? Shop around if you can.

I'm lucky that my dealer has all kinds of stock even though they are constantly selling. And when I bought my RTV mid summer they honored a year old quote they had given me.

Point here is....not ALL dealers are gouging.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Never a good idea to make it known you really want what someone is selling. (-;
Do you really think in this market the Seller doesn’t know what their options are and what position you are in? Ignoring the reality of the situation isnt really great either.

Sometimes telling someone you really want something can have the opposite effect. If you can create excitement….It will let the Seller’s guard down, then you can work in requests they should be willing to agree to. You just put them in a more positive state and may make it easier to get what you want.

That said I do recognize every person is different and you have to read the individual and decide how best to proceed. It could be hardball is the best way to handle it.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Do you have other Kubota dealers in close range? Shop around if you can.

I'm lucky that my dealer has all kinds of stock even though they are constantly selling. And when I bought my RTV mid summer they honored a year old quote they had given me.

Point here is....not ALL dealers are gouging.
Yes I agree. I just bought L6060 and KX040 and I paid a decent bit less than MSRP for everything. Also got a great trade in on the M62.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Thanks
I would not expect any discounts these days and am not surprised by pricing above MSRP. Be advised that dealers charge shop time for installation of options including FELs, etc. These charges are not shown in MSRP on Kubota website.

It is not the time to buy equipment.

That said. Kubota has announced a 6% price increase for tractors (9% for construction equipment) effective 01/01/22.

SDT

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
Find a better dealer if all they are offering is MSRP+. Last week I just ordered a new M7060 cab with a lot of addons at $5000 below MSRP. There are dealers out there who are still working with people. I am lucky to have 5 dealers within an hour, but it was my closest dealer who gave me the best price. Keep in mind, I didn't haggle. I asked for his best price and he beat everyone.

I would build the config you want on their website and send it to the 4 or 5 closest dealers and get quotes. I think most can tell if you are a tire kicker or not.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Best advice is to check all the dealers around you. I talked to 3 of the 4 within a 1/2 hour drive and ordering a LX2610 took 90 days to come in but the selling dealer (#3)gave the full equine discount on it.
Dealer #1 was the worse they wanted almost $3,000 over the MSRP on Kubota's website Dealer #2 knocked off about 4% from list price but never priced it with the rear remotes.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Best advice is to check all the dealers around you. I talked to 3 of the 4 within a 1/2 hour drive and ordering a LX2610 took 90 days to come in but the selling dealer (#3)gave the full equine discount on it.
Dealer #1 was the worse they wanted almost $3,000 over the MSRP on Kubota's website Dealer #2 knocked off about 4% from list price but never priced it with the rear remotes.
Main source of price difference for my L2501 out here in the West was PDI...
The base tractor & FEL prices were fairly close between dealers (were below MSRP)...but one dealer included an additional $1,100 for PDI, while the dealer I ultimately used included PDI in the final price. For reference, I ordered the tractor in May and received Delivery in November.

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
So far…

dealer 1: no units until March
Dealer 2: has the unit but not the loader or backhoe and has no estimation on when they will come in.
dealer 3: has the unit with loader and backhoe.

Dealer 3 is asking approx $ 1000 above mrsp. He claims it’s for the labor to assemble everything. Sounds like B.S. to me. Anyone else came accross this?

There’s v little local inventory. May end up negotiating with dealer 3.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
So far…

dealer 1: no units until March
Dealer 2: has the unit but not the loader or backhoe and has no estimation on when they will come in.
dealer 3: has the unit with loader and backhoe.

Dealer 3 is asking approx $ 1000 above mrsp. He claims it’s for the labor to assemble everything. Sounds like B.S. to me. Anyone else came accross this?

There’s v little local inventory. May end up negotiating with dealer 3.
ya thats BS. They are gouging.