Dealer & Delivery issues

thelastinline

Equipment
B2601
Oct 31, 2022
Ontario
Looking for some advice.
B2601 with front snowblower, loader, box scraper, rear blade, pallet forks, loaded tires.

Buying process has been nothing but painful. Was talking to one salesman back in March, he stopped responding out of nowhere, then contacted another salesman who finally started arranging my order. 6 months of waiting, I still didn’t get R14 tires or the back blade model I wanted. Tractor had been on the property since June, and has been missing wheels and tires since just this past month.
Supposed to take delivery this week. Go to sign papers, while leaving I finally take a look at the tractor … implements are rusted up, k-connect bracket is rusted and scratched, hood of the tractor has deep scratches that were poorly covered?
What do I do here?
Missed out on an entire summer of work, now I can finally have it but am sorely disappointed.

Attachments

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The surface rust is gonna happen quickly anyway. It'll get rubbed off as you use it. Anything that doesn't could be lightly sanded and touched up. The hood though...
I assume you took it home? That hurts chances of getting anything done. Maybe get them to swap the hood with a good one? Some dealers just don't care it seems.

Reactions: 1 user

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Those hood scratches would turn me inside out.....My first impression about the other 'surface' rust was that it wasn't that bad, especially if you need the equipment.

I totally understand the disappointment about losing a season of work (I thought I invented that story) but I finally came to terms with the fact that the supply chain shortage is the real culprit in the situation.

I myself have been treated with less than respect by a salesman (fortunately not at my selling dealer) and it was stomach-turning as well. That just BLOWS.

Ultimately I feel lucky that my tractor was delivered in pristine condition, even though one critical piece of ordered equipment was 'on order' and 6 months later is still MIA, but I am really grateful for the equipment I have and it's been pretty awesome. Some of the scratches you posted (great pics btw) would be cause for heated discussion with the dealer; I'd seek some sort of line of credit since none of the 'rust' seems to take away from from the performance expectations of the equipment. BUT THOSE HOOD SCRATCHES........OMFG I cannot believe that a Kubota dealer would 'deliver' such a product as 'new'. I, personally, would take it home on the agreement that a new replacement hood would be on order. It's also quite possible that the tractor was delivered to the dealer in that condition (that tractor would have been delivered to the dealership sans wheels/tires/loader, in a delivery 'crate'). If that was the case wouldn't KUBOTA be on the hook for a new hood and not the dealer?

I'm hoping that the ownership of such a fine tractor & nice arrangement of equipment will serve you well and in time lessen the outrage of a painful acquisition process. Welcome to the forum! :)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Looking for some advice.
B2601 with front snowblower, loader, box scraper, rear blade, pallet forks, loaded tires.

Buying process has been nothing but painful. Was talking to one salesman back in March, he stopped responding out of nowhere, then contacted another salesman who finally started arranging my order. 6 months of waiting, I still didn’t get R14 tires or the back blade model I wanted. Tractor had been on the property since June, and has been missing wheels and tires since just this past month.
Supposed to take delivery this week. Go to sign papers, while leaving I finally take a look at the tractor … implements are rusted up, k-connect bracket is rusted and scratched, hood of the tractor has deep scratches that were poorly covered?
What do I do here?
Missed out on an entire summer of work, now I can finally have it but am sorely disappointed.
Tell your dealer that you want him to provide you with a new hood.
Probably will not happen, but give it a sincere try!

thelastinline

Equipment
B2601
Oct 31, 2022
Ontario
The paperwork is signed, but I haven’t taken delivery. I’ve contacted both the dealer and Kubota Canada, would expect they get back to me tomorrow.

Im guessing asking for a new hood is within reason, should I be pressing anything else? Here’s hoping Kubota Canada gets through to the dealership and makes them come through.

There’s no way I want to look at that hood for the next 20 years …

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Somehow, somewhere a LOT of paint got chipped ,dinged and scratched...yeesh... You deserve a new hood and whatever parts THEY 'removed' paint from. Hopefully you'll get a new hood( suggest the one from the showroom model....) If they don't replace the chipped paint parts, barter for the 50hr fluid/inspection, filters and such for the 100hr and of course the WSM. either that or have them take of 15% minimum from the bill of sale. My local dealer ,Galer, has been extremely helpful so other dealers need to be !

Jay

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The paperwork is signed, but I haven’t taken delivery. I’ve contacted both the dealer and Kubota Canada, would expect they get back to me tomorrow.

Im guessing asking for a new hood is within reason, should I be pressing anything else? Here’s hoping Kubota Canada gets through to the dealership and makes them come through.

My hood looked a lot worse than that after 1 week of ownership. All self inflicted damage so it didn't feel so bad. Now a year later I hardly notice the damage. Kinda like your wife looking older (but not me) thing.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I wouldn’t sweat the surface rust as suggested previously.
The hood however….they need to fix that!

I’m sorry to hear your buying experience has been so difficult.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
My hood looked a lot worse than that after 1 week of ownership. All self inflicted damage so it didn't feel so bad. Now a year later I hardly notice the damage. Kinda like your wife looking older (but not me) thing.
Self inflicted is definitely easier to deal with, for sure.
My tractor is near flawless, however, I scratched and gouged my rear taillight/housings with my quick hitch a day or two after getting it home, lol

Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Different answers for different parts. I'll do them in order.

1. The hood. It's not that bad, mine are far worse, but again mine weren't there when I bought it. You paid for a new one, it shouldn't be delivered scratched like that. I'd seek something from them, and something that will make up for looking at it forever. Which is hard. But honestly, when I bought mine I got two tins of touch up paint - one Kubota orange, one chassis grey. The paint they've used doesn't look like it matches. A bit of work with wet and dry sand paper, quick spray with primer, over the top with Kubota orange, it'll look fine. And then you'll put some scratches on yourself.

2. The marks on the B2601 letters. Those actually can't be fixed, they're in some ways a bigger deal. Replacement hood probably for that. I've scratched mine and can't fix them. But I've had it two years, it doesn't really upset me any more.

3. Third picture is top edge of snowblower? That'll be marked up far more than that first time a stone goes through it. But wet and dry sandpaper, primer, Kubota orange, it'll be invisible. It'll be dirty soon too.....

4. "Surface rust" on what looks like the snowblower quick attach. That's actually a paint chip, not surface rust. I think that's Kubota grey, so you could again sand, prime, paint. But someone's dropped something on that to scratch it like that. And that's in a place you wouldn't expect to mark when you use it.

5. Picture 5 I can't see what the implement is. But that "surface rust" is weird. It's a painted implement, it shouldn't rust like that. Will you be leaving it out in the rain? If so, then it'll do that anyway. If not, then arguably if it wasn't rusty when you got it then it wouldn't get rusty. I just don't see how it's rusting through the paint. Is it in a salty environment? Is that rust coming through the paint - in which case it's rusty under the paint? That's weird. I'd be asking some questions about that

6. The pins on what looks like part of the snowblower quick attach. Are those supposed to be on an angle like that? I'm guessing those pins go into something like a 3pt hitch, in which case all the paint's coming off as soon as you use them anyway, so that's not a biggie. Grease will stop that from rusting. The paint below that that is scratched shouldn't be, but I'm guessing you might scratch it just like that the first time you put it on? If not, then sand, prime, paint.

So, overall. These are all solvable. New hood would be nice, you can't fix the B2601 lettering easily. But pretty much all them are fixable with sand, prime, paint. But that's time, and you shouldn't have to do that on a new machine. So they need to give you something.

And picture 5 with the "surface rust" feels wrong to me. Things shouldn't rust through brand new paint. I'd be looking closer to see what's going on there.

I'll also add on, don't take delivery until you're satisfied with the resolution. You may have relatively little leverage - I presume if you don't take it the next guy who walks in the shop will pay them list price for it. Which sucks, but it's reality.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s a shame that buyers feel so pressured to “sign” the deal …BEFORE the “deal” is really ready for ownership… After signing a Bill of Sale and any financing settlement the tractor belongs to you…and if anything happens to it… will be subject to ”negotiation” as to responsibility. If you bought the Kubota insurance then you might make a claim against the dealer and that may provoke/prompt the dealer to give you a new hood…which is my idea of MINIMUM. The rest of the “rust/scratches” are pretty normal and you’re going to create them when you use the tractor anyway. Let those go…they’re unimportant.
But they owe you a new hood.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
It's a seller market...Kubota has got a lot of bottle necks? Years ago a Ford/Kubota dealer told me they dumped Kubota. They became a Ford/Deere dealer.
This dealer had been a Ford dealer dating back before WWII. And said they where done dealing with Kubota?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It’s a shame that buyers feel so pressured to “sign” the deal …BEFORE the “deal” is really ready for ownership… After signing a Bill of Sale and any financing settlement the tractor belongs to you…and if anything happens to it… will be subject to ”negotiation” as to responsibility. If you bought the Kubota insurance then you might make a claim against the dealer and that may provoke/prompt the dealer to give you a new hood…which is my idea of MINIMUM. The rest of the “rust/scratches” are pretty normal and you’re going to create them when you use the tractor anyway. Let those go…they’re unimportant.
But they owe you a new hood.
YUP !

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I am right with ET as well. Everything but the hood is consequential and will get some rust anyway. Now that hood.....no way. They need to order a free replacement.

Remember we arent buying a car here. Its a tractor and is meant for work. Work means rust and dirt. I would sand out the rust, touch it up with black paint on any non-friction points and call it a day. That hood though....

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

To me sounds like you are giving people chance to do what is right. Beyond that whether new purchase or taking in for service, you did not buy or bring in a tractor with damage, so hopefully they would not expect you to accept that. And if they do, maybe not someone to do business with IMO (your money you choice). What happens you want service done? Should you expect them to dent something else and not fix it? I’d hope they make it right. And if not willing nothing wrong with shopping around. Yes that is delay and that sucks, but so does paying new price and not becoming ng satified with damage on delivery. Unless you got a new demo price or something? Would they expect you to fill out a KTAC claim and they get service money on damages you did not cause? That would be sort of shitty thing to do to Kubota honestly from the dealer…but I think give them a chance to fix…did they ask you to say the damage was ok? I think that’s first. Seems like that should be settled between Kubota and the dealer honestly. I’d want the defect and path forward to fix documented IMO if they want you to take delivery and start payment.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To me sounds like you are giving people chance to do what is right. Beyond that whether new purchase or taking in for service, you did not buy or bring in a tractor with damage, so hopefully they would not expect you to accept that. And if they do, maybe not someone to do business with IMO (your money you choice). What happens you want service done? Should you expect them to dent something else and not fix it? I’d hope they make it right. And if not willing nothing wrong with shopping around. Yes that is delay and that sucks, but so does paying new price and not becoming ng satified with damage on delivery. Unless you got a new demo price or something? Would they expect you to fill out a KTAC claim and they get service money on damages you did not cause? That would be sort of short thing to do to Kubota honestly from the dealer…but I think give them a chance to fix…did they ask you to say the damage was ok? I think that’s first. Seems like that should be settled between Kubota and the dealer honestly. I’d want the defect and path forward to file documented IMO if they want you to take delivery and start payment.
The OP should document EVERYTHING!
Phone calls boil down to.... He said,... She said!
Using E-Mail communication only, is the simple way to obtain/retain conversational documentation!

thelastinline

Equipment
B2601
Oct 31, 2022
Ontario
Both the salesman and the dealership owner got back to me. Seems as though Kubota Canada spoke with the owner, first. At this point they’re “tending to all issues” and having the hood professionally repaired.
Here’s hoping it comes out looking like it should… I’m guessing they’re just tremcladding the frame parts, but I’d really like to see the hood in sunlight. Not so sure they can make it look seamless.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Remember we arent buying a car here.

Never understood why the comparison, but, ok...
A LOT of brand new cars have LOUSY paint jobs, usually LOTS of 'orange peel'. Sad that 'they' can't get a couple of robots to paint in a super clean, environmentally controlled paint booth. Millions of cars are produced on the assembly line, so it's easy to 'dial in the numbers' to get great quality control. Even the $80K+ E-stang that was in my driveway had orange peel. It's no longer in my driveway.

As for 'pre delivery rust'..,it shows lack of care on whomever was moving it, or it's sa soooo long outside, Mother Nature had her way. Chipped paint AFTER being used is acceptable...nature of the beast but NOT before.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
'...Professionally repaired...' should be simple replacement, hard to believe that there would be an attempt at 'body work' for that amount of damage, on such a small, simple to replace part.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It sure sounds like Kubota is trying help so that is great for the individual…good luck and keep us posted how final resolution/result comes through.

Separate from that, I understand what everybody says that it is a tractor, however it’s still the individuals money IMO. To some it’s a prized possession…doesn’t matter a tractor or not…it’s hard earned money (hopefully 😉) and the expectation should not be customer pays for someone’s accident or negligence…in fact I am sure it was factor in the sell price already(there is overhead and mark up in there as well as warrantee expense too)so asking customer to pay again is sort of shitty, if that is what happened. And in simplest terms it does as much good in the buyers pocket as a sellers….I am not saying anyone needs to be beaten down and not make money, but it’s new and being sold at new price…not new with shipping damage etc price. On the flip side of the coin, when the dealer holds the cards to buy used bet they don’t try to offer to much and do make notes of damage and wear to get the price lower. So IMO it’s sort of a 2 way street.