Damaging Rear PTO bush hogging ditches

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
Hello all. Im the proud new owner of BX23s and have been scouring Youtube for operating advice since Im a total novice. I came across some information saying that if you somehow get the tractor and the rear implement in a "pinch" type position that you can drive the PTO shaft into the transmission and damage it. Well, the 3 acres of pasture I have to bush hog seems to be challenging one for this scenario. Its varying slopes and ditches need to be attacked from different angles to prevent flipping and its going to be difficult. How do I avoid jamming the implement shaft into the back of the tractor when driving into a ditch, or other dip? Will a properly fit implement shaft alleviate this?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Will a properly fit implement shaft alleviate this?
In short, yes.

If the overlap on the two pieces of the PTO shaft are such that it runs out of travel as the deck flips up in relation to the tractor, it puts the tractor PTO and mower gearbox in a bind. If that happens you’ll quickly find out if the gearbox on the mower or tractor PTO is stronger at resisting the compressive force as the weaker one will fail.

When you’re setting up the PTO shaft, it needs to be cut to a length that allows the deck to flip up to maximum upward travel without binding and flip down to maximum lower travel without coming apart or having inadequate overlap.

Reactions: 6 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Will a properly fit implement shaft alleviate this?
Second the yes, just make sure at the shortest driveshaft angle that there is still some play in the shaft (disconnect and try and shorten the shaft).

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hello all. Im the proud new owner of BX23s and have been scouring Youtube for operating advice since Im a total novice. I came across some information saying that if you somehow get the tractor and the rear implement in a "pinch" type position that you can drive the PTO shaft into the transmission and damage it. Well, the 3 acres of pasture I have to bush hog seems to be challenging one for this scenario. Its varying slopes and ditches need to be attacked from different angles to prevent flipping and its going to be difficult. How do I avoid jamming the implement shaft into the back of the tractor when driving into a ditch, or other dip? Will a properly fit implement shaft alleviate this?
Great question. We all judge approach and departure angles differently…so it depends….The risk is all on the owner / operator. When in doubt I turn the PTO off and lift the cutter.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Make sure your PTO shaft can be raised to the maximum height without compressing into the housing and you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend operating a bushhog or anything at the extreme limits of the 3 point hitch as a general rule. Detaching your top link in extreme situations is an option.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make sure your PTO shaft can be raised to the maximum height without compressing into the housing and you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend operating a bushhog or anything at the extreme limits of the 3 point hitch as a general rule. Detaching your top link in extreme situations is an option.
Normally, Rising the PTO to full height will put the PTO shaft in it's longest position not the shortest.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Shouldn't 'shortest' be 'level' or inline with PTO shaft ?
ANY up or down and the PTO shaft needs to be longer.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
great answers, thanks folks. I will measure twice, cut once....hopefully
I think you'll find the shortest to be when the front is fairly low and the back is high, as it would be crossing a ditch perpendicularly.

This also tends to put the top link in compression. Some folks use a chain for the cutter top linkage for this reason.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
great answers, thanks folks. I will measure twice, cut once....hopefully
friendly word of advice / warning..... research correct way to shorten a PTO.

No word of a lie I have a pallet of PTO shafts cut by others that they cut too short mostly because they felt they only need to cut 1 shaft (not both equally as they should have).
The cutting part is very easy, any angle grinder / chop saw or saws-all will do. Getting the male / female sides correct length is another story!!

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
friendly word of advice / warning..... research correct way to shorten a PTO.

No word of a lie I have a pallet of PTO shafts cut by others that they cut too short mostly because they felt they only need to cut 1 shaft (not both equally as they should have).
The cutting part is very easy, any angle grinder / chop saw or saws-all will do. Getting the male / female sides correct length is another story!!
OK, good to know, thanks. I definitely want to get this right because my pasture is a complicated one. I'll already be trying not to flip the tractor at the same time trying to make sure the rotary cutter isnt binding or damaging my tractor.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Also I believe that as you crest a hill (tractor going down hill and mower still on uphill) the pto can be stretched out longer than when everything is level.

The top link can limit this but will effect the height of the cut on part of the hill.

The mower can also scalp the top of the hills if you have too much change in slope to quickly.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Some also remove the top link to allow the bh to flex up. Also, can you mow the ditches in a different direction to avoid any issue. Other replies also apply with PTO length.

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
Some also remove the top link to allow the bh to flex up. Also, can you mow the ditches in a different direction to avoid any issue. Other replies also apply with PTO length.
Probably not possible to mow ditches in a different direct because they are too deep. I may simply have to weed whack a 400' ditch. Ill make certain of the PTO length

planesandteeth

Equipment
BX23s
Jan 23, 2023
Middle TN
Reporting back folks. The MMM is WAY more powerful than I expected. That thing ate up small branches, 100lb chunks of dirt, and anything my 3 acres of sloped pasture had to throw at it. I greased it heavily and it just worked perfect. One wheel mount is broken and bent though, need to re-weld that. Everyone saying to clean the radiator filter is spot on, thanks! Honestly dont think I need a bush hog anymore. But, now I have another mechanical issue Ill post in another thread...dangit. Im continually impressed with the power of this little tractor.

Reactions: 1 user