D902 injection pump install

Nautique1228

Equipment
Toro z master
Jul 11, 2014
Kcmo
Hi all, I have a 2008 toro z master with a 902d. I bought it with a spun rod bearing and rebuilt the motor. I bled the fuel and started right up and idled nicely. When I went to rev it up, I had no throttle, it just idled. So I assumed I hooked a spring up wrong or had an issue with the injection pump. I took it apart and was double checking the repair manual and found I did not install the rack pin in the fork lever correctly. Problem is I can't get the rack pin to slide far enough forward or the fork lever to go far enough back to get the pump to drop down in the block.

See how the cutout in the block for the rack pin sits directly over the fork lever. I'm about to pull the studs out and see if I get a little more wiggle room, but I don't think that'll be enough. I've been searching for a while/ maybe I'm just an idiot but I'm frustrated and can't get it figured out. Hopefully someone who's done this can shed some light on the situation. Thanks guys

Also I bought it already torn apart, so I kinda feel like I'm up a creek without a paddle if ya know what I mean

Last edited:

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
What is the specific tool mentioned and is it something that you need to set this pump up?

David

Nautique1228

Equipment
Toro z master
Jul 11, 2014
Kcmo
It's just a "hook" I use a 90* pick. It's is used to grab the spring and bring it forward to hook to a bracket. Here's what it says word for word.

1. Move the fork lever (2) to the gear case side.

2. Hookthestartspring(6)totheinjectionpumpcontrolrackpin(5).

3. Put the specific tool (7) through the fork lever hole of cylinder block (9) and hook the start spring (6).

4. Keep this spring slightly extended and install the injection pump (4). Make sure the control rod (8) should be pushed by the idling adjusting spring (1) and the pin (5) on the rod engages with the fork lever (2).

5. Hook the start spring (6) to the bracket (3) using the specific tool (7).

6. Hookthegovernorsprings(smallandlarge)(14)tothegovernor lever (13) using the specific tool (7) and install the speed control plate (11). Be sure to place the copper washers underneath two screws (12) in the upper of the speed control plate.

7. Install the engine stop solenoid rod (15) to the guide hole of cylinder block (10) and fix the engine stop solenoid (16) with socket head screws.

Last edited:

Nautique1228

Equipment
Toro z master
Jul 11, 2014
Kcmo
Figured it out, if you have the fueling adjustment screw to far in it won't let the arm come out at all to rev up the motor. So start with it way out and adjust it in til it stops smoking at high rpms. So I was correct when I first installed it. The pin goes behind the picture above not in it.

Jeff V

Equipment
Toro Z master Diesel, JD 450 Crawler
Jun 23, 2022
Ga
can I get the full page shown, got the same problem. I need the full page and any related info to try to do this. thanks in advance. if you can call me 4044253645 thanks