D-ring for the chassis front

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The typical weight distribution for MFWD tractors is 65:35 towards the rear. The wheelbase of these tractors is about 65", and they weigh about 2200 lbs. The D_ring looks like it's 8" or so above the front axle centerline, and the tires are 24" OD. If we imagine the front tires to be (magically) superglued to the ground and the drive shafts frozen, we can compute the amount of pull needed to lift the rear wheels of the tractor by summing the torques (moments) about the tire contact point:

2200 * (.65 * 65") = (24/2 + 8 ) x PULL on chain

2200 * .65 * 65/20 = 4648 lbs.

Since the pull needed on the line is more than 2x the weight of the tractor, the tires will slip long before the tractor lifts the rear wheels, and the D-ring is completely safe. If you're paranoid, carry some heavy implement on the 3pt; it will definitely help the pull, since the rear wheels will do most of the work, anyway.

- Bart
And 4600 lbs is going to be far less than the resistance of a car sliding across a slick surface.

dkbswim

Equipment
B2601
Feb 6, 2021
columbus ga
in regards to using it as a tie down
Anything 10k or more has to have 4 points of contact. IE , a chain & binder on each corner but if under 10k two is fine. 4 is better but 2 is acceptable. Disclaimer don't take this as legal advice please review laws that apply for you
look up CFR title 49 Chapter 3 Part 393.128 (b)

Reactions: 1 user

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Get a "Recovery Stap" from HF instead of chain for pulling cars and other items out of jams. About $27 for a 9000 lb. strap. They have stretch to absorb the shock. Much less stress on car parts and the tractor. Make sure the D-ring is sized to accept the hook (ask me how I know, Duh). I've used mine a couple of times with great success. I don't use it for anything else though - every "tool" has its purpose - the right tool for the right job is part of being safe.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Be really,REALLY careful about pulling 'cars out of ditches' with a chain to the front of your tractor !!!
When (not if..) the chain breaks you might not even get to say 'Oh Sh.. '
I was thinking the same thing. I had that happen once (with the tow hook on the front of my truck). Now I'm a big fan of kinetic recovery ropes.

Edit: I see Bee-Positive beat me to it. <lol>

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
By damper, I assume you mean throwing an old moving blanket over the chain?
Yeah. Almost anything, really. Jacket, floor mats, or even a couple shackles. Of course there are the weighted pads made specifically for the task.

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I was looking at pulling a car out of the ditch on my road last week, and realized there's no good place on my LX to hook a chain. I could use the draw bar in the rear, but with the 3pt snow blower attached that's not very accessible. So I thought a D-ring on the nose was in order.

I bought the D-ring and loop at the farm store. Didn't have a scrap of steel plate big enough to cover all 4 holes in the chassis, so I welded up some scraps of 2-1/2 x 1/4" bar stock, then welded the D-ring loop to that.

A quick shot of clearcoat to limit rust and voila. Attached with 4x 3/8" grade 8 bolts (I could have gone bigger but neglected to measure the chassis holes before I was at the store buying hardware).

View attachment 93370
View attachment 93371

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The typical weight distribution for MFWD tractors is 65:35 towards the rear. The wheelbase of these tractors is about 65", and they weigh about 2200 lbs. The D_ring looks like it's 8" or so above the front axle centerline, and the tires are 24" OD. If we imagine the front tires to be (magically) superglued to the ground and the drive shafts frozen, we can compute the amount of pull needed to lift the rear wheels of the tractor by summing the torques (moments) about the tire contact point:

Since the pull needed on the line is more than 2x the weight of the tractor, the tires will slip long before the tractor lifts the rear wheels, and the D-ring is completely safe. If you're paranoid, carry some heavy implement on the 3pt; it will definitely help the pull, since the rear wheels will do most of the work, anyway.

- Bart

- Bart
"The wheelbase of these tractors is about 65", and they (MFWD tractors?) weigh about 2200 lbs."
Really?
MFWD tractors typically "weigh about 2200lbs"?

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I was really considering the D hook, but I have no welding equip. i thought about drilling
through the plate, so I checked the thickness, and it is way to thick and not worth the
effort. So I will just buy a couple of tie down instead.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I was looking at pulling a car out of the ditch on my road last week, and realized there's no good place on my LX to hook a chain. I could use the draw bar in the rear, but with the 3pt snow blower attached that's not very accessible. So I thought a D-ring on the nose was in order.

I bought the D-ring and loop at the farm store. Didn't have a scrap of steel plate big enough to cover all 4 holes in the chassis, so I welded up some scraps of 2-1/2 x 1/4" bar stock, then welded the D-ring loop to that.

A quick shot of clearcoat to limit rust and voila. Attached with 4x 3/8" grade 8 bolts (I could have gone bigger but neglected to measure the chassis holes before I was at the store buying hardware).

View attachment 93370
View attachment 93371

Looks great man!

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Be really,REALLY careful about pulling 'cars out of ditches' with a chain to the front of your tractor !!!
When (not if..) the chain breaks you might not even get to say 'Oh Sh.. '
Used to run chain through an old tire to absorb some of the energy
An old blanket will do the same thing. Drape it over the chain about mid point.