Peoria, AZ
And PT3:

Reactions: 1 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I took the time to watch these today, even though I have rebuilt most of my cylinders in the past. Excellent explanations and camera work, if anyone has any questions about rebuilding, here is your instruction manual!

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I took the time to watch these today, even though I have rebuilt most of my cylinders in the past. Excellent explanations and camera work, if anyone has any questions about rebuilding, here is your instruction manual!
i agree , well filmed and explained. I learned a lot, thanks Lil Foot!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You're welcome, folks. This guy worked for his grandfather's shop, then his father's, then his own, before starting his home shop & internet business. He is very experienced in machining & hydraulics, and does pretty good filming & editing too. He also does kind of a travel log and cooking series that I don't follow much. I follow his machining stuff pretty religiously. He often does non-conventional setups & methods, like someone else I know. (me)

Reactions: 1 users

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
I respect what Adam (Abom79) does, and how he was able to obtain the seals, but most of us likely don’t have the time or measuring resources to source seals individually (in some cases there may not be enough of the seal to measure or determine it’s shape properly)
Ive repacked dozens of forklift cylinders of all sizes and types, the thing I learned is if you can source the OEM, in most cases that’s the best source.
Granted, many OEM seal kits are unreasonably expensive for what ever reason, but reliability and fit is usually better.
I sourced the kits for my own LA352 loader from Messicks, at one time they were $99 ea, they’re now $37ea and they are now in my cabinet waiting for me to install them.
id also check a reputable shop (like the guy in the video) and see what their cost is for a repack, Guy near me is $100 ea per cyl up to a certain diameter then it goes from there for a basic repack, seals, tear down,cleaning, reassembly. Any machine work is extra of course.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Glad to hear it. :)
I have all the measuring tools, so I can, and usually do, buy all the seals & o-rings individually when I rebuild cylinders & valves, but there is a lot to be said for spending the extra bucks and buying the OEM rebuild kits. Almost always more expensive, but simple, quick, & easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Ok....losing some hair.

My bucket's hydraulic is 3" diameter. Checking McMaster, the spanner wrench for a 3" cylinder has a 5/16 pin. But!!! I just happened to have some 5/16 rod - and it won't fit in the hole. I tried 1/4" - - - still too big. Closest i can get to fit is a drill bit that is about 6.5mm (31/128" on digital caliper).

It makes some sort of logical sense that the "hole" would be a metric measurement.....and of course, that seems to be an unpublished spec. Are there tools that are specific to Kubota cylinders?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use a set like this:
It has different hooks, radius arms, and pins, and covers most stuff that I need.
When I rebuilt the backhoe, I made this up:
IMG_0367.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I would assume that Kubota would use metric for their cylinders,and follow Metric 'standards' for whatever they're designing, in this case ,cylinders. Heck, I assumed my BX23S was 100% Metric, as Japan is....Oopsy... the BX23S is a 'hybrid', which is really crazy and really bad from any way you look at it....designs, manufacturing, parts, repair, etc.
as for the spanner wrench... well it's Imperial ( 3" ) but WHOSE 'spec' says the pins are 5/16". I see a lot of small 4cylinder, compact cars with 4 bolt rims and a lot with 5 bolt. WHOSE spec decides that ?? Shouldn't the 'standard' be 4 bolts ??

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I would assume that Kubota would use metric for their cylinders,and follow Metric 'standards' for whatever they're designing, in this case ,cylinders. Heck, I assumed my BX23S was 100% Metric, as Japan is....Oopsy... the BX23S is a 'hybrid', which is really crazy and really bad from any way you look at it....designs, manufacturing, parts, repair, etc.
as for the spanner wrench... well it's Imperial ( 3" ) but WHOSE 'spec' says the pins are 5/16". I see a lot of small 4cylinder, compact cars with 4 bolt rims and a lot with 5 bolt. WHOSE spec decides that ?? Shouldn't the 'standard' be 4 bolts ??
The ones that really drive me crazy are 6 bolt wheels but only 5 spokes! I'm thinking it is a conspiracy to push some of us over the edge...right on off the edge of this flat planet.... ;}

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
then there's the 1-2 years that Ford had SEVEN bolt wheels.....sigh.
Had I known how rare they were, I'd not scrapped the 4 I had collecting dust...

joea

Equipment
B21 TLB
Aug 2, 2020
Marbletown NY
Very informative. I was rebuilding a cylinder and wanted to verify which way the lip of the seal below the wiper went in. Found it entertaining as well as informative.

I was also pondering some nicks in the rod. Not bad really, but he seemed pretty down on any damage at all and I suspect the seals will fail early. It's only the stabilizer cylinder for the backhoe, but, at $95 for a seal kit from Kubota, not easy to shrug off.

A new rod from Kubota runs about $350. How do I get in touch with him, Abom79, to get a quote?