Cutting teeth in tines of a Land Pride SGC0660?

Recuts

Equipment
L3901. RC1860 BB1260
Mar 24, 2021
Finger Lakes
One of the main arguments that people seem to have with the lighter duty land Pride grapples is the lack of teeth in the tines. logs slipping around, bad grip on stuff, etc. It seems to me that it would be pretty easy for people to cut a few teeth in the lower tines with a hand grinder. I have never done much metal work, but am I wrong with this thinking?
Dave

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
I‘ve had mine for a week or so, still learning to use it well. I too have been thinking on how I could improve its function. I was thinking about welding or bolting on some “cutting tines” to mine. I’m clearing a lot of overgrowth with a lot of small trees. I’m using a chain and old tire as sort of a fulcrum to pop these trees out by the root, it works well but it’s very slow by myself. I’m thinking tines added to the grapple maybe would hook the roots of the small trees?

Mike

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
How about using a piece of flat stock and cutting teeth in that and clamping it to the grapple fangs to see how it works out..

This would not be permanent and cheap to discard if it doesn't help.. Or a good learning tool to design and install a more permanent version..

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Get a metal cutting saw blade for your skillsaw and a long straight edge, cut all the "teeth" at the same time. Use the mitre for cutting angles.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would be more inclined to go along with Timmy's idea. Not much point hacking up the tines if the idea dont work like you want. So if you bolt or weld teeth on and it isnt what you want you can grind them off. And Im sure if there was a tine failure the company would be a lot less inclined to help you if you butchered up the tines. Just MHO

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
One of the main arguments that people seem to have with the lighter duty land Pride grapples is the lack of teeth in the tines. logs slipping around, bad grip on stuff, etc.
The complainers are probably trying to grab too many logs at once. Can often get 3 logs in the 8" dia. range. as far as grip my sgc0660 is holding 1500 or so pounds
20210914_131600.jpg

Reactions: 2 users