Cutting Height Control Dial Slips

John Pollock

Equipment
B2920HSD,RCK-60-29B Mower, LA364FEL,Land Pride LR-05 Landscape Rake,
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
Hello,
I have a new B2920HSD with a RCK60-29B Mower Deck. The mowing height is controlled by 4 adjustable anti-scalp wheels and a Cutting Height Control Dial which refuses to stay in the selected position. I repeatedly raise the deck and set the dial to "2" and it drops to ".5" as soon as I lower the deck or shortly after I begin mowing. It doesn't always do this when the tractor is cold but will consistently do it after mowing for an hour. The cam which controls the cutting height has been greased but the dealer tells me that this is advisable. Does anyone have any advise or solutions? My next idea is to degrease the cam.

Thank you,
John Pollock

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
John Im not sure about that deck but on mine each wheel has several holes in the posts, and you can set the height by selecting the holes,, the ones closer to the wheels the lower the cut, the ones higher onthe post the longer the cut. On my BX I set the wheels and just drop the deck till it bottoms out on the grass at which time it floats over the ground on the 4 wheels

John Pollock

Equipment
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
Thank you for your fast reply but the four anti-scalp wheels are set correctly and according to the manual, should be 1/4 to 1/2 inches above the ground when the cutting dial is set to "2". This is not the case as the dial soon slips to ".5" and the wheels roll along the ground, making the tractor difficult to turn. The cutting dial must remain at "2" which it does not and I am stumped.

Thanks, John

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Sounds like there may be something missing, the cutting height dials usually have detents at the different heights so it should feel like it goes into a different notch at every height. This also would hold the knob in one spot, along with the weight of the deck keeps the knob from turning.

John Pollock

Equipment
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
the parts are there and the notches are visible. They are not deep enough to hold the deck in place. Even if I get it to seat in a notch, I can hit a bump while mowing and it will click down 5 or 6 notches until the anti scalp rollers rest on the ground. The dealer is replacing the notched turret but its difficult for me to believe that out of 100,000 produced by Kubota, I would get a bad one. For now, I have vice grips on the control dial which do the trick.

Thanks,
~ John

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi John
Kubota have a tech tip about this very problem. I'd attach it but it is a mhtml doc and I can't get it to upload! PM me and I'll send it to you or maybe Vic or Mr.K can help me attach it!
Ed

John Pollock

Equipment
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
Thanks Ed,
I have seen one tech tip concerning this but the washer has been installed. We have not tried filing down the turret as advised by Kubota but are replacing it with a new one. Doesn't seem right to have to take a part off of a new Kubota and have to take a dremel tool to it. I will update this posting after we have installed the new notched turrent.

~ John

John Pollock

Equipment
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
The dealer has finally replaced the turret knob and the mower works like it should now. I have mowed for several hours with no problems or slippage.
Thanks for all of you that put forth advice on this one. This Kubota Tractor Forum is a great help to Kubota owners.

~ John

turret knob

Equipment
2015 Kubota BX2670 Rotary mower RCK60D-26BX
Sep 28, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
My mother just bought a 2015 and has the same problem. Am going to call the dealer who has ben VERY slow to respond and tell him we need this turret knob replaced.

John Pollock

Equipment
May 31, 2010
Lebanon Springs, NY
Update to my previous post - I have had the knob replaced twice now and the mower continues to slip to its lowest height. Kubota should really address this issue and redesign the mower height control.

~ John

CRF

Equipment
B2920 LA364 RCK60-29B
Jun 12, 2020
Winnebago, Illinois
John, If you are still out there, I just bought a b2920 and have the very same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?