Custom Hydraulic filter guard

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So in the spirit of protecting my new toy I've been making the guards for the filters and hoses.

Here is the Hydraulic filter guard from soup to nuts.

So looking at it, my initial thought was to try and protect the filter and the lower parts of the exposed hose (at least the stuff below the foot rest as much as possible).

So instead of the "hack and slash" method I am accustomed to using. I decided to employ the famous "Ansatz Method" this time. So I busted out the trusty tape measure and made some measurements went to the piece of 10 gauge A36 hot rolled steel I had bought and laid out some careful bend lines (approximating the bend radius in my head and accounting for it).

I did this to make it look maybe a bit more "store bought" I suppose.

Well that went over like a fart in church. There was no way in He!! my little homemade brake was going to bend this stuff. ( and I should have known better quite honestly).

On to plan 'B"

I used my angle grinder and cutting wheel to cut along the layout line, about 3/4 of the way through the piece. This allowed me to use my brake and make the bends.

This gave me my initial shape

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I then proceeded to hold it up to the tractor and lay out the places I could see that it was going to hit and freehanded a radius with the plasma cutter.

The radius turned out ok, but then holding it up again I saw that the hoses were going to hit still, so I had to go back and make another cut.

Then I used a strait edge to do the straight cuts.

One of the things I have learned is that "pulling" the plasma cutter along a guide produces exceptionally nice cuts, while "pushing" it along a guide can only be described as "....Like 2 monkeys trying to f&$& a football".

So 'pulling' it is from now on.

edit: Pics are slightly out of order

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
After some work with the grinder and files I radiused the corners and it seems to be shaping up nicely.

The first pic shows one of the relief cuts I had to make in order to get "miny brake" to bend it.

I sure do miss the Tennsmith 'box and pan brake' that I used to have access to at work.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
After some work with the grinder and files I radiused the corners and it seems to be shaping up nicely.

The first pic shows one of the relief cuts I had to make in order to get "miny brake" to bend it.

I sure do miss the Tennsmith 'box and pan brake' that I used to have access to at work.
I need to do something similiar, to make a mount (10 ga.) for a Donaldson air filter upgrade on my SCAG ZT mower.
Please tell me how you were able to control the depth/width of your relief cuts.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I need to do something similiar, to make a mount (10 ga.) for a Donaldson air filter upgrade on my SCAG ZT mower.
Please tell me how you were able to control the depth/width of your relief cuts.
I wasn't really able to control the depth, but I was unconcerned with it because I had planned on welding them afterwards, so I just did it by feel.

I would run into a problem with the width being too narrow and then when I bent it, the edges would touch before I achieved the a 90 degree angle, so I would bend it until they touched and run the angle grinder with the cutting blade over it again(rinse and repeat)

Paul

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here are some pics of the relief cuts.

The last pic shows that I purposely left the bends slightly obtuse in anticipation of the shrinkage that will occur when welding begins. The hope is that it will shrink into a 90'ish degree angle.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Using C clamp Vice Grip and the hoist to hold it in place I was able to use my deep hole marker to mark the forward attach point hole. I also decide to use a bolt that goes through the existing hole in the floor board for the rear attach point. I just don't have a long enough bolt in stock to properly mark it, so I'm gonna 'eyeball' it.

The second pic and 3rd shows my mistake about cutting that rear notch out and making the rear part too short. I should have made it taller and now it's eating me alive knowing that Murphy is hiding right around the corner with a stick to shove right through that hole that I left, cause I was too lazy to fix it........D^mn Murphy....

The 4th shows the "Jerry rig" setup that I had to use. The mount point kept bending as I was drilling it, hence the need to shim it up temporarily. Whatever it takes I guess.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
First pic is of the pre-welded piece bolted up. Everything appears to be good.

Second pic is the result of my brain nagging me to make that rear part taller. After looking at these pics I probably should have filled in that notch too but when I was looking at it in person, it did not appear to be as bad as it appears in the pics....and now that's bugging me as I type this

Then some various welds.

Last pic .......So there I am, Sunday morning at zero dark thirty needing a longer bolt when it occurred to me.

Why don't I just cut a bar to length and thread both ends? So its off to the scrap pile and a bar of mystery metal jumps out at me.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
So its off to the lathe with my mystery metal.

I indicate it, then spot drill it, drill it (this is where I think I'm in trouble).......then try to tap it (now I KNOW I'm in trouble)

That mystery metal was stupid hard. I didn't even get 2 threads into it when I was sure I was gonna break the tap. So after years of metal working..... I know, what I know...... and I know its time to abandon the mystery metal before I break that tap off.

Back to the scrap pile and low and behold a beautiful piece of aluminum jumps into my hand.

Rinse and repeat..... and I'm satisfied with it.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Again there was no way I could stand the having 'no side protection' so I do pretty much the same thing I did with the fuel filter guard. (This time I checked for interference BEFORE I welded it up...LOLOLOL)

All was good, and it fits like a glove.

I was in a bit of a hurry for some reason, so I decide to use muriatic acid instead of vinegar...Mistake...

I knew I couldn't do it in the shop or house, so I used a bucket of acid outside (15 degrees F)......it took forever at that temp. I should have just used vinegar in the basement as per usual.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Again with the bed liner material for top coat.

Install is a little easier with a third hand from the hoist.

4th pic shows the top bolt fits perfectly with those floor board mats...... (Love them floor mats!!!)

Then the final product.

Paul

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looking good so far, reminds me how much I want a box and pan press brake.
Thanks Mike,

Yea, I want one too. It's on my list to make a small one to fit in my Horror Freight Press. Unfortunately thats a very long list.....

Paul

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Another thing I learned was how much of a PITA it is to change from cutting blade to grinder to wire wheel.

Then the solution popped into my head.....Just buy 2 more angle grinders...simple.

So to the computer I go and 24 hours later the Stork drops one off at my door. (next month another one will appear I'm quite sure)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Another thing I learned was how much of a PITA it is to change from cutting blade to grinder to wire wheel.

Then the solution popped into my head.....Just buy 2 more angle grinders...simple.

So to the computer I go and 24 hours later the Stork drops one off at my door. (next month another one will appear I'm quite sure)
You won't regret it!

IMG_1642.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Again with the bed liner material for top coat.

Install is a little easier with a third hand from the hoist.

4th pic shows the top bolt fits perfectly with those floor board mats...... (Love them floor mats!!!)

Then the final product.

Paul
Magnificent work! :)
WAY beyond my capabilities!

Reactions: 1 user