Curling

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Anybody here curl? You know, the olympic sport.
Just curious. It's a blast. Just had our bonspiel (curling tournament) cancelled and I'm super bummed. I mean, not that I thought I could beat olympic hopefuls, but it sure is fun playing with them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Anybody here curl? You know, the olympic sport.
Just curious. It's a blast. Just had our bonspiel (curling tournament) cancelled and I'm super bummed. I mean, not that I thought I could beat olympic hopefuls, but it sure is fun playing with them.

I watched on the Olympics the last winter one - fascinating sport - like a chess match on ice...... and one screwup .... game over!

Down in these parts ...... aint enough ice to play inside!!!

Curious ..... what does a set of stones cost? or is that something you never buy or is that supplied by the rink ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Never understood the whole idea of sliding rocks on ice

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There was, at least pre covid, an indoor rink that had ice time for curling. I always thought that the ice surface was often grim for ice dancing after the hockey players and triple lutzers got through with it. Running the zamboni once wouldn't do it for curling! It looks like fun. Sorry you don't get your competition.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
The little town (5800 pop) that I live near has a curling club that shares a indoor public rink with hockey and general ice skating, and if the ice and snow conditions are right they will set up outdoors on one of the local lakes.
I have never curled but I find it strangely satisfying to watch. The almost effortless gliding on the ice and the "clack" when one stone hits another.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Never understood the whole idea of sliding rocks on ice
How you feel about .........
throwing a ball at a person hoping he wont hit it?
Or throw a large pumpkin in a circle with a net?
Or run with an oblong leather ellipse trying to avoid the person that wants to knock into next week?

Hell = my favorite sport is coming up soon ...... throwing a one pound bag of corn into a 6" hole and bragging about it!!!! Of course there is a ice cold liquid stress relief can in close proximity !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I never could understand sports like that , I always thought it was a waste of time,,, but then I guess it is what you are brought up with, so its all good :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, I understand your concept completely. About 40 years ago I planted a garden. Soon the ground became real dry and everything died. I didn't realize a water hydrant needed to be closer, and the weeds needed hoed even if I didn't feel like it.

So the garden never grew and to this day I don't garden. I can work a bit extra and purchase all the home grown veggies from the nearby gardeners... but I still look at all the plants those gardener's plant when I'm over at there plot and they're bragging up a storm! :D

DonMo

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Nov 24, 2018
NW Missouri
I'd like to try that curling as an outdoor sport. How do you think those stones would do on freshly mowed grass? I've been doing curling exercises for almost 60 years now so I should be in pretty good shape for it.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
LOL All this from a bunch of guys (myself included) who ride around on orange machines looking for something to do and spend lot and lots of money doing it. It's not good to think about how much our "sport" costs i.e. tractors, mowers, equipment, maintenance, housing, etc. not to mention the cost of land to do it on. But it's what we enjoy doing.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
The club buys or rents stones. They're probably about $8000 for a set of 4. A draw (game) needs 8 stones. They're about 40lbs each, the nice ones are granite from one small island off of Scotland (Ailsa Craig). I think they may make cheaper ones out of more standard granite, but who wants substandard stones?

My home curling club (Traverse City) currently rents ice time from a hockey rink. It's a huge pain in the ass. Skaters do a real number on the ice, gouging it up and everything. We start out a league night by the zamboni running over it for 20 minutes trying to make it as flat and smooth as he can. Then another 10 or 15 minutes of pebbling the ice... That is, curling isn't played on smooth ice, it is played on a rough surface created by essentially raining water onto it. The stones won't go anywhere otherwise.
In the next year or two we're going to have dedicated ice. A facility dedicated to curling, where the ice is always flat and ready to play. The stones are already out on the ice... Man, I can't wait.

I would recommend it to anybody who is remotely competitive. I would classify it as a "leisure sport", but, to be honest, if you're trying to get as much curling in as you can in the 2 hours that you have the ice, there isn't a ton of time to drink your beers. It's a really friendly/social game, and you can usually start without any special equipment.

There are clubs all over the country; even down south.
Hokie, it looks like Charlottesville may be the closest club to you... It's a haul, but we have members in our club to drive 2+ hours... https://www.facebook.com/blueridgecurling/

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Back in the 90s when I had one of the big (10') satellite dishes, I could pick up some CBC channels and I always liked watching the curling contests. There were always some other interesting Canadian programs and news too.
A Mexican channel would show bullfights.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I worked in a quartz research lab, we had a guy show up who wanted us to regrind/resurface/repolish the OD of a curling stone. It had about 100 chip outs on the OD, ranging from .040 to about .125 deep.
He said it was a low quality granite, and the chipped/uneven diameter made it rebound unpredictably and leave chips on the ice. I told him that I could probably build the tooling necessary, but he would have to find a way to pay us. (me & the lab) I told him it would probably take a week or more to develop the tooling & process, and that I could do it after hours & weekends till it was done, if he could clear it with my boss & arrange payment. He got very angry; he thought we should supply the materials, machinery, tooling & our time for free. My boss (the head scientist) basically told him to GTFO.
It was kind of a shame. it sounded like an interesting, challenging job.

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I would venture to say that most curlers are relatively humble people. It's a game of honor and self policing. Not to say I haven't played with a few jackasses...
It's amazing how the granite holds up. I suppose it's kind of like billiards balls; they're all the same hardness and there's just transfer of energy from one to the other. I've never heard of resurfacing the striking surface, though I'm sure they'll clean it up if necessary. Normally, every couple of years, they need to dress the running surface (in contact with the ice). They just do that with a piece of sand paper on a flat surface (granite table).

It's funny, everybody who watches it ends up being curious about it and can't seem to turn away, but the number of those people who actually end up finding a club and trying it out seems really low. I'm tellin you, man... Give it a shot.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I never could understand sports like that , I always thought it was a waste of time,,, but then I guess it is what you are brought up with, so its all good :)
I don't get most sports, really. Then again, if it involves two guys (or gals) punching and kicking each other trying to knock the other one out, I'm there. I suppose a lot of people don't get that, either.

Reactions: 1 user

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I have a hard time watching boxing and ufc and whatnot. I can appreciate their talents, but just couldn't imagine taking that kind of abuse, and I don't get much enjoyment out of watching others get abused like that either.
I've never been in a physical fight. I've never backed down from one (had a couple offers), but never actually fought.

Leisure sports are my kinda thing. Curling, cornhole, pool (billiards), darts... Think, lazy but competitive...

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I have a hard time watching boxing and ufc and whatnot. I can appreciate their talents, but just couldn't imagine taking that kind of abuse, and I don't get much enjoyment out of watching others get abused like that either.
I've never been in a physical fight. I've never backed down from one (had a couple offers), but never actually fought.

Leisure sports are my kinda thing. Curling, cornhole, pool (billiards), darts... Think, lazy but competitive...
I'm guessing it's all in what you know. I started training in martial arts fairly young, so that's what I understand. Nobody in my family watched any sports, so I never picked that up from anywhere.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ran across this today, interesting: