Culvert do-over ... rocks?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
As part of the Spring road rebuild, the neighbors dug out the culvert next to my driveway entrance that I didn’t even know existed. The goal is to prevent the gravel road from washing out.

I’m on the uphill side/entrance to the culvert. Should I add big rocks on the uphill side, etc? I’m having a hard time finding examples of how to landscape it. I have lots of larger rocks on my property, so I could just bring a few down. Of course, I could also put gravel in there and plant grass back. Ideal would be to make it hard to fill back up again while also making it relatively safe if someone went off the road into the hole. There was several feet of clay/dirt in the hole before.

Fyi, we only have about 12 inches of precip a year, so a flash flood is somewhat rare and low volume. Most of the damage is from snow build up and melt.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
a picture would help but...
maybe a semi circle of rocks,say 1-2 feet away from the culvert opening, is what you need ? The 1-2ft gap allows water to seep/run into the culvert, keeps most silt/dirt out.
I see that here, at the ends of culverts that go 'under' driveways and into fields. The big rocks WARN you there's a tire rippin piece of steel nearby !!!

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As GreensvilleJay mentioned, you're asking if a woman is pretty and we can't see the picture, so your answer can only be as good as the question!

Might rip-rap it like you see on some dam intakes using the rock you already have.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
As GreensvilleJay mentioned, you're asking if a woman is pretty and we can't see the picture, so your answer can only be as good as the question!
Thanks for your helpful comment.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I put a 6' pipe in my creek. I used 6-12" rip rap on the upstream side and drove t-post in front of the rock to help hold them in place. Then filled over the top with dirt and packed it down around the rock from the top side. It's held up very well.

Reactions: 2 users