Crime

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I understand the sentiment, and maybe even approve. But leaving easy targets almost seems to be a reward for them.
I would do the same if I could just wait for the POS and give them what they deserve, but in our F upped society, I would go to jail.
One of my neighbors, now long gone, lived alone after her husband passed. Barely 5 ft tall and less than 100 lbs. She had a hand gun she kept under the mattress that she brought out to shoot moles digging in her lawn. Got the attention of some workers once. Well the local sheriff told her, "Now Lucille, somebody tries to break in, you go right ahead and shoot them, but make sure you drag them in the house before you call the police so we don't have to arrest you." Not sure how that works in. Arizona. My luck they would weigh 300lbs and be unmoveable with anything besides the FEL.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
One of my neighbors, now long gone, lived alone after her husband passed. Barely 5 ft tall and less than 100 lbs. She had a hand gun she kept under the mattress that she brought out to shoot moles digging in her lawn. Got the attention of some workers once. Well the local sheriff told her, "Now Lucille, somebody tries to break in, you go right ahead and shoot them, but make sure you drag them in the house before you call the police so we don't have to arrest you." Not sure how that works in. Arizona. My luck they would weigh 300lbs and be unmoveable with anything besides the FEL.
You do have an FEL so use it to make the job easier.

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Very sorry to hear about this and scumsuckers that steal like this need more than a solid kick in the nads.
But, if we leave doors open and keys out then life is easy for them. We do not live in a pefect world and i hope your friend now gets security conscious as these thieves will very often return. I hope this does not upset him too much.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
if we leave doors open and keys out then life is easy for them.
A victim is not to blame for a criminals activity. Not even a little. By giving that little it reduces the criminals responsibility and shifts it onto the victim.

Reactions: 3 users

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
A victim is not to blame for a criminals activity. Not even a little. By giving that little it reduces the criminals responsibility and shifts it onto the victim.
I hear that a lot. It really is horseshit.

The world is a dangerous place. We all need to take and accept responsibility.

Sometimes a victim is a fool and by their stupid and ignorant actions they suffer. I agree they are not to blame for anothers actions that pond dweller is to blame.....but did they by their actions give opportunity?

Before you all shout out your well thought out and incontravertible counter reasons be aware i agree with them!! There are plenty of cases where the victim did nothing that contributed and suffered

The expression needs to be dropped and something more appriate trotted out because actions THAT CAN EASILY BE AVOIDED can contribute to crime. People need to step out of this ideal world of, " I Should not have to do that". And accept there are evil scumsucking bastards out there which means that yes....you should have to not do this or do that! We do not live in Utopia.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I hear that a lot. It really is horseshit.

The world is a dangerous place. We all need to take and accept responsibility.

Sometimes a victim is a fool and by their stupid and ignorant actions they suffer. I agree they are not to blame for anothers actions that pond dweller is to blame.....but did they by their actions give opportunity?

Before you all shout out your well thought out and incontravertible counter reasons be aware i agree with them!! There are plenty of cases where the victim did nothing that contributed and suffered

The expression needs to be dropped and something more appriate trotted out because actions THAT CAN EASILY BE AVOIDED can contribute to crime. People need to step out of this ideal world of, " I Should not have to do that". And accept there are evil scumsucking bastards out there which means that yes....you should have to not do this or do that! We do not live in Utopia.
Soooo, if a girl walks by lookin all pretty does she deserve to get raped? Maybe she should have covered up more to prevent that crime? That what youre saying? Maybe in high crime areas, females can all wear burkas covering all parts of her body that will solve things.

Should we all just go ahead and build moats around our homes? you know the world IS a dangerous place and less lieley to get robbed with a moat around the house.

Sounds like what youre sayin is its our duty to be proactive in dealing with criminals. I disagree. Im not going to be inconvenienced by criminals. I live in an area that has low crime and high gun ownership so that may have something to do with our disagreement. Also about 1/2 of Maines population do not lock their homes or cars yet we have a very low crime rate.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thats pretty ballsy to come in a home with the owner there. And yes after we were cleaned out, cops said it had to be someone that knew what they were looking for. Sometime later my wife said her sisters doper son stopped at the house looking for scrap so he could sell to by dope. I asked her why she didnt tell the cops, or me. Her words were if I told you, you would have gone hunting. It is a shame the dopers have no remorse, toward who they steal from , be it family or strangers. I really feel for the old boy
OH and before I forget, we learned this the hard way. If you have anything of value, art, jewelry, firearms, anything. Talk to your INS agent and get a rider policy for those items, the cost is only pennies, other wise the INS company can say sorry it wasnt insured and you are out.
I have a short list for the police if there is a break in, or something of value comes up missing.

First on the list is the grandsons meth head momma. Grandsons grandmother (meth heads mom) is second on the list.

We handle court ordered supervised visitation for the pair once a month. And whomever broke in would have to know our dog.

Wife moved my wallet to our bedroom during the last visitation. I came inside from doing yard work and noticed it missing from it's usual location.

I walked into our bedroom with a murderous look on my face and my wife pointed to my sock drawer. 🙄🙄🙄 I was fixing to completely and utterly lose my cool.

I can't stand a thief.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I hear you Magicman, and blame the victim is not my real intent. There is a fine line between knowing you have an "attractive nuisance" and doing something to prevent innocent victims from harm as best you can, e.g. fencing your swimming pool, knowing that bigger kids will climb that fence, but at least toddlers will be kept out, and saying not my problem. I hate it that there are so many thieves, druggies, and just plain mean folks around. But we can each choose how much energy we want to put into self protection and what kind. I think gun owning, dynamite owning, horse owning and dog owning all come with responsibilities.
And as we well know, just because someone owns a dog, horse, or other animal, doesn't mean that they will be responsible owners.

I've run into issue with a couple neighbors because they chose to let there dogs run loose and do what ever they wish. And two out of the three times it ended badly.

The renters next door decided to be responsible after I talked to them, then the police talked to them and explained the fines for an aggressive animal.

Neighbors across the street have small dogs that they let run loose. Well it's the classic small dog syndrome where they think they are the biggest thing on the street. We've had issues with them trying to attack our shepherd while out for a walk. They even stated that if their dog gets hurt "Oh well!!".

Well after 5 years of this crap it ended badly and their dog had to be put down.

they were pi$$ed at me because their dog jumped into my dogs mouth. I had our shepherd by the collar and her head held up, and was trying to sweep there blasted dog out from under mine with my foot.

Blasted dog ran back around and then jumped at the shepherds face.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Invest in a come along đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Soooo, if a girl walks by lookin all pretty does she deserve to get raped? Maybe she should have covered up more to prevent that crime? That what youre saying? Maybe in high crime areas, females can all wear burkas covering all parts of her body that will solve things.

Should we all just go ahead and build moats around our homes? you know the world IS a dangerous place and less lieley to get robbed with a moat around the house.

Sounds like what youre sayin is its our duty to be proactive in dealing with criminals. I disagree. Im not going to be inconvenienced by criminals. I live in an area that has low crime and high gun ownership so that may have something to do with our disagreement. Also about 1/2 of Maines population do not lock their homes or cars yet we have a very low crime rate.
No to either of your examples. They are not realistic. And a bit silly.

I am not saying be pro active in dealing with criminals but to be realistic that they are out there lurking to be shitbags as that is what they do and not make yourself a victim needlessly.

Lock your doors, do not walk a high crime area standing out as different. Take common sense precautions.
Too many think they should not have to think about their and their propertys safety, they should.
Should you not wish to take the most simple a d basic precautions then that is your choice. If you think simple crime prevention is an inconvenience then more fool you.
Society is full of differing characters and it really is sensible to make small adjustments to your life that can effectively eliminate the risk.
However the choice is yours. And the choice as a member of society is to then not trouble your insurers or law enforcement when it goes wrong. Suck it up, it was your choice.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
No to either of your examples. They are not realistic. And a bit silly.

I am not saying be pro active in dealing with criminals but to be realistic that they are out there lurking to be shitbags as that is what they do and not make yourself a victim needlessly.

Lock your doors, do not walk a high crime area standing out as different. Take common sense precautions.
Too many think they should not have to think about their and their propertys safety, they should.
Should you not wish to take the most simple a d basic precautions then that is your choice. If you think simple crime prevention is an inconvenience then more fool you.
Society is full of differing characters and it really is sensible to make small adjustments to your life that can effectively eliminate the risk.
However the choice is yours. And the choice as a member of society is to then not trouble your insurers or law enforcement when it goes wrong. Suck it up, it was your choice.
So the victim is partly to blame unless of course your idea of common sense precautions are taken, hmm.

Good thing it doesnt really work that way at least not in the US. Its not against any laws to leave the doors of your house unlocked but it IS against the law to enter and steal no matter how hard or easy it was.

Same goes with insurance. Guy robs me my insurance pays whether my door had 8 deadbolts or none.

How did the ops friend fail in your eyes? How much blame does ops friend have for his theft? 80-20%?

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
I would not say without all the facts. But, we live in a world with scumsuckers and leeches so if you choose to leave your house unlocked then that is your choice.
Yes a victim can be a victim purely because of their poor choices. Make wise choices and the likelyhood of being a victim goes down, significantly.

The blame is always on the shitbag for committing the crime but poor choices can make you that victim.

Take responsibility and do not offset all blame to others. That is childish.

I appreciate all crimes are different and even those that take care suffer but don't turn a blind eye and suffer needlessly for want of taking the smallest of actions. Why should you be inconvenienced and your insurers pay out when you refuse to look after your own property?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I would not say without all the facts. But, we live in a world with scumsuckers and leeches so if you choose to leave your house unlocked then that is your choice.
Yes a victim can be a victim purely because of their poor choices. Make wise choices and the likelyhood of being a victim goes down, significantly.

The blame is always on the shitbag for committing the crime but poor choices can make you that victim.

Take responsibility and do not offset all blame to others. That is childish.

I appreciate all crimes are different and even those that take care suffer but don't turn a blind eye and suffer needlessly for want of taking the smallest of actions. Why should you be inconvenienced and your insurers pay out when you refuse to look after your own property?
So what did ops friend do wrong that he deserved to be robbed? You think ops friend shouldnt receive help from law enforcement or insurance because of his refusual or poor choices in looking after his own property? You really think a locked door would have stopped the crime described in post#1?

Doesnt work that way. Even if you want it to.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So what did ops friend do wrong that he deserved to be robbed? You think ops friend shouldnt receive help from law enforcement or insurance because of his refusual or poor choices in looking after his own property? You really think a locked door would have stopped the crime described in post#1?

Years ago my grandparents house was broken into and their guns were stolen. Closest police service to the house was probably 25 minutes away on average. House was in the mountains with the nearest neighbor being a 1/2 mile away.

Perps cut the screen to the back porch and kicked in a door.

House was unlocked because they figured if someone did break in, they would cause even more damage 🙄🙄🙄

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If the bad guys want in, they will find a way in it is that simple

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées

Clearly he did not deserve to be robbed, i suspect he has always lived his life this way.
It is clear though that you have no regard for simple crime prevention and good luck to you.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Clearly he did not deserve to be robbed, i suspect he has always lived his life this way.
It is clear though that you have no regard for simple crime prevention and good luck to you.
I have no regard for measures taken that do no good and only serve to give a sense of security that is false. Around here we have a saying "locks are for the honest thieves" which if you think about means locks are stupid, they dont stop theft.

I also have no regard for people that blame the victim in any way shape or form.

Reactions: 1 user

Carl in France

Equipment
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
Leave yourself open to crime through a negligent attitude and take no responsibility?

There are occasions where a victim is such because of their own choices. They are not to blame for the others actions but they clearly can be accountable for enabling them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Criminals use guns to create more victims. Seems counterproductive to make it easier for them to get guns.