Creating a trailer parking pad

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I would like to make a parking pad for a 16' tandem trailer right next to my shed. I had a few large oaks removed, the stumps were ground down, they were larger than 36". The ground feels soft from all the shavings, obviously. There is a slight pitch to the land across the area (sideways). The location will be used only for parking, not for loading unloading.

I was thinking to flatten the area some, leaving the overall pitch, I was going to lay down about 2-3" of crushed stone over geo-textile fabric, boarder it with 4x4 pressure treated ties and call it done.

Do you guys suggest removing all the wood shavings from the stumps or can I just work over them? I was thinking eventually they'll pack down and with any luck may help to inhibit growth under the fabric. but maybe it's a bad idea to leave them...

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'd build some kind of raised frame around the area then add the gravel (probably 3/8 minus) and rent a plate compacter. The textile fabric will get holes from the gravel and any seeds will find a way to sprout. If you top it off with concrete the plants will have a more difficult time coming through.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
A bigger problem than weeds is the settling that will occur as the underground root system and trunk decays. All the stumps I have had ground did that over a 10 year period. I would recommend scraping all organic material off that you can get off, including topsoil, leveling it, and then placing your geotextile fabric down and putting the rock on top, probably at least 5 or 6 inches.

Reactions: 2 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I can do that! I thought I could skip a step, but suspected it could be bad idea to leave the bed of shavings. The spot is nothing critical, just a spot for the thing to sit, and maybe some small implements. Alright, will remove material, and add extra stone depth. thanks guys

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I'd also park the trailer on a couple of 2X10's , it helps the tires from settling into the gravel. Also it always goes back into the same spot on the landing pad.

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I believe in the long run removing the organic mater will be the best choice it will rot and leave voids.

As far as the rock may be best to put couple inches and pack it in, let it be rained on and settle.

Come back later with a couple more. My neighbor put about 6" of rock in front of his new shop and it is a mess. You drive through it and the tires sink, you walk through it the same result. He ended taking few inches away and stored them to use later once it packs in well.

I use stall mats to park my trailers and tractors on even though they are on rocks. Serves well to put back in same place. they were free otherwise I may not do it.

Do it right the first time and it will save you time later!

Good luck.

Jay

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ditto to the stall mats, I use them in a couple of places to keep horses and tractor from sinking in, although the filled tires on the L were too much for the mats in one place. They'd be great on the rock especially for a spot for the hitch.

TSC has them on sale every once in a while if used or free ones don't turn up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd definitely remove all 'organic matter' ( the wood chips) and top soil. Spread out maybe a yard or 2 of 'crusher run' or whatever they call 3/8 to dust... in your neck of the woods, and tamp it down firmly. Now lay down 2 strips of 18x18 patio stones where the tires will run. Spread some more 'crusher run' between the strips of patio stones and tamp down, do the same on the outside as well. You'll always get some weeds,just kil them when young. Be sure to put a patio stone down where the tonguge sits too ! If the trailer sits for along time, block it up to get tires off the stones and add 5-10PSI more air in the tires.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Thanks for all the ideas guys. The input from this forum has improved every project I've asked about. Jay, that is a brilliant idea! Perfect use of extra pavers and slate slabs that I have stacked in the back.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Making a little progress. The pad will follow the general grade which pitches to the side. I did flatten it out a little bit keeping some of the pitch. Lots of small stumps and roots came out while taking off about 6-3" of soil and organic crap. Piranha tooth bar is a very useful tool.

I need to do final grading, lay fabric, and set the 6x6's in place. Then it will be ready for a small base (MOT 1?) + stone. I put a 45º edge on the front tie to help with backing the trailer over it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Mostly done. Still need to put the slate slabs under the tires, plant skip laurals to hide it and some grass seed. The pad is 16' x 24, took 10 tons of blue stone. The 16' 6x6's weighed 250 pounds, I did not plan for that. Working alone the project took me a few days longer than I had expected.

To test fit the ties, I ended up screwing in a hook in the middle and lifting with the boom/stump bucket. But now the trailer has a home. Thanks for all the advice here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well done, nice clean job. Plenty big enough too.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Nice neat job. Your trailer should be happy there...

Careful with Rops/guy wire. I got stuck on one years ago, couldn't figure out what was stopping the tractor in its tracks...until I looked up. Yesh. :oops:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I can't tell you how many times I was within inches of that thing. Would be very unforgiving. The telephone pole is in the worst spot. It's why the pad had to be so wide, it interferes with about 6 feet of it. I'm planting shrubs between the guy wire and pole to act as a barrier to not pass under it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Mighty NICE, B737 !! Will your MM fit on it too?
And leave an implement outside in the rain?? Oh the humanity! :ROFLMAO: I think I will toss the pine needle rake out there. Once I make a kickstand for it like you did :)

• Haha

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It’s so nice to have a dedicated place, out of the mud to park trailers, implements etc. looks great.
I know here, as we get lots of snow during the winter, I try and make places under cover to park and store implements.