Crank seized B7100D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Careful on “indexing the flywheel “. I think they only bolt on the crank in one position.

I think you can remove the outer gear from the flywheel and rotate it on the flywheel

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pay attention to what Russell said. When you put the flywheel on be sure to start ALL the bolts with your fingers, no wrenches.

The holes only line up with the flywheel in one position. It's always better to make a mark before removing the flywheel and then not turn the crankshaft at all, but that's for next time.

If the bolts don't thread in easily remove and rotate one hole and continue until your successful with them all.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Pay attention to what Russell said. When you put the flywheel on be sure to start ALL the bolts with your fingers, no wrenches.

The holes only line up with the flywheel in one position. It's always better to make a make before removing the flywheel and then not turn the crankshaft at all, but that's for next time.

If the bolts don't thread in easily remove and rotate one hole and continue until your successful with them all.
Trying to understand the logic behind this, not disputing anything, just trying to learn something.

Does this have something to do with timing of the engine? If I remember right, there is a mark on the flywheel that is used when setting up the engine for reasons I don't remember.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Trying to understand the logic behind this, not disputing anything, just trying to learn something.

Does this have something to do with timing of the engine? If I remember right, there is a mark on the flywheel that is used when setting up the engine for reasons I don't remember.
Yes The flywheel must go on the crank so that the timing marks are right.
Timing marks on a Kubota are rarely used, you only really need them if the injection pump timing was or needs to be altered.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Easier than a 60's car!
Replace the pressure plate, clutch disk, throw-out bearing, and pilot bushing.
Pull the input shaft off of the front of the transmission and check that coupling to make sure it's good.
I have the clutch housing exposed and clean. How are the throw out bearing, holder and input shaft removed? I removed the a pin at the other end of the shaft, but now what? I plan on replacing the front seals too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the clutch housing exposed and clean. How are the throw out bearing, holder and input shaft removed? I removed the a pin at the other end of the shaft, but now what? I plan on replacing the front seals too.
For the shaft coupling:
Look closely at the rear roll pin location, as some will have one roll pin inside another roll pin to lock it in.
And when you put the roll pin back in safety wire it in.
If the roll pin / pins are out the shaft it will slide forward if it doesn't, it's just caught up on worn splines on the coupler try twisting it to the right of left when you pull.

The throw-out bearing holder should just slide out after removing the clutch pedal fork and spring.
If it's not sliding out, look at the back of it for grease / dirt / junk buildup.
Pay particular attention ( pictures of the part assembled helps) on the direction of the throw out bearing. When installing the new one, it will look like your putting it on backwards, just make sure it goes on the same way as original.
The seals for the clutch sleeve, that are in the clutch housing are really easy to get out, but require some ingenuity to put them back in.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
For the shaft coupling:
Look closely at the rear roll pin location, as some will have one roll pin inside another roll pin to lock it in.
If the roll pin / pins are out the shaft it will slide forward if it doesn't, it's just caught up on worn splines on the coupler try twisting it to the right of left when you pull.

The throw-out bearing holder should just slide out after removing the clutch pedal fork and spring.
If it's not sliding out, look at the back of it for grease / dirt / junk buildup.
Pay particular attention ( pictures of the part assembled helps) on the direction of the throw out bearing. When installing the new one, it will look like your putting it on backwards, just make sure it goes on the same way as original.
The seals for the clutch sleeve, that are in the clutch housing are really easy to get out, but require some ingenuity to put them back in.
I finally got back working on this. I pulled the motor and the head and looked everything over. Sleeves and pistons look great. My gasket kit came with valve stem seals, so I will check if the valves need lapped (NOT with a drill). I will set the valve clearance at 0.008" as you said.

The two seals in the throw out bearing shaft thingy went in nicely. My 22mm (might have been 20mm) deep socket fit perfectly as a driver for the forward seal. The 24mm deep socket fit the other seal perfectly too.

I will replace the glow plugs too, because it was hard starting and puffed white smoke. Partially burned fuel was running out of number 1 exhaust manifold too. Other than that, it ran great before the pressure plate self-destructed. Is there anything else I should look at while it's all apart?

Oh, and the engine is getting new paint, as is everything that is orange.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
For the shaft coupling:

Wolfman,

I resurrected this thread with an update and questions for you. Bare with me, this is kinda long because I want you to have all the info.

After I finished installing the new clutch, with the motor at idle, the clutch will not disengage. Pedal adjustment was per the IT shop manual. While setting the pplate fingers, I noticed the threads on the pplate finger studs are very sloppy. If I slightly bumped or lightly pushed/pulled on a finger, the finger would be out of spec. The tolerances seem very tight and almost impossible to retain under these circumstances.

I pulled it apart again. Focusing on the pplate fingers, sure enough, they were all out of spec. I recently purchased a B7100D rear half that matches mine, from another member. $200 for everything behind the bellhousing except for the seat and tires. He knew I was having clutch issues, so he threw in the flywheel.

I used the flywheel and mocked up the disc & pplate on my work bench. But again, after lightly wiggling the fingers, they would be out of spec. I replaced the studs and castle nuts with cap screws and double nuts. The caps fit below the flywheel surface. Now the fingers are per spec. Put the tractor together...and it still will not disengage! A few questions...

You warned me about installing the TO bearing backwards. If it is backwards, would it not disengage the disc? And why?

I checked the TO bearing travel distance on my extra rear half, 1/2". My tractor TO travels 3/8". How much is needed to disengage the clutch?

When the old pplate finger fell apart, it stopped the tractor in a heart beat. It lodged itself between the housing and the flywheel teeth, seizing everything. We had no choice to tow it about 100 yds to my shop. Could the sudden seizing or pulling it home cause damage to the tranny?

I am going to split it for the third time. But I am leaning to using my entire extra rear half this time, in case something internal is the cause. ANY input or guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it won't disengage then it's not anything past the clutch or pressure plate.
Yes if the throw-out bearing is in wrong it won't disengage.
I don't remember how far the forks move the pressure plate, but I know it's not very far.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
If it won't disengage then it's not anything past the clutch or pressure plate.
Yes if the throw-out bearing is in wrong it won't disengage.
I don't remember how far the forks move the pressure plate, but I know it's not very far.
Sounds like if my finger settings are still good, it's the TO bearing. Splitting it again... fingers crossed!

thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like if my finger settings are still good, it's the TO bearing. Splitting it again... fingers crossed!

thank you!
Take pics and post or send them to me before you reassemble and I'll see if anything looks off.

Reactions: 1 users

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Take pics and post or send them to me before you reassemble and I'll see if anything looks off.
Wolfman,
Here’s the original TO and the way I first installed the new one. And a pic of perhaps the correct direction.
Thank you.

Attachments

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
The spinning surface should be against the pressure plate fingers.
Thank you. I dug the old one out of my scrap pile…the new one is different. I now know why everyone here advises to buyOEM kubota parts. Lesson learned, after splitting the tractor 3x.

• Wow