cracked transmission housing

Firefight100

Equipment
MX5200
Apr 3, 2021
63379 troy mo
So the other day, I started my MX5200 hst and noticed the drive whining and not wanting to move. I thought it was just due to the cold spell were having. I took it up the road and back but it was a challenge.
When I got back I checked the trans oil and it was not in the glass. Looked for leaks and didn't see any. Weird!
So I go get 5 gal of fluid. Start pouring it in. Still not showing in the sight glass. And now I notice oil is pouring out of the trans. So underneath to investigate. And I see a bracket that has been ripped off the trans side, along with a hole in the side of the trans and a steady stream of my new oil going down the gravel. I have some pics below.
So my options were to have it welded up. But I would have had to take the rear end off and take it into a welder as I dont think they could have welded it in place. Or buy a new housing? Don't think so. Or me route.
Remove my filled rear tire and wheel.
I drilled out the crack and hole to 29/32, tapped to 3/4 npt, bought a brass plug, applied Loctite and screwed that sucker shut. The bracket, I haven't replaced yet. It held a spring that provided tension to keep the cruise control lever in place. That will be an easy fix when it warms up a bit.
No leaks after replenishing the oil and everything is back to working normal. Oh and that piece of cedar wood is what sheared the bracket off.
Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Attachments

Reactions: 10 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So the other day, I started my MX5200 hst and noticed the drive whining and not wanting to move. I thought it was just due to the cold spell were having. I took it up the road and back but it was a challenge.
When I got back I checked the trans oil and it was not in the glass. Looked for leaks and didn't see any. Weird!
So I go get 5 gal of fluid. Start pouring it in. Still not showing in the sight glass. And now I notice oil is pouring out of the trans. So underneath to investigate. And I see a bracket that has been ripped off the trans side, along with a hole in the side of the trans and a steady stream of my new oil going down the gravel. I have some pics below.
So my options were to have it welded up. But I would have had to take the rear end off and take it into a welder as I dont think they could have welded it in place. Or buy a new housing? Don't think so. Or me route.
Remove my filled rear tire and wheel.
I drilled out the crack and hole to 29/32, tapped to 3/4 npt, bought a brass plug, applied Loctite and screwed that sucker shut. The bracket, I haven't replaced yet. It held a spring that provided tension to keep the cruise control lever in place. That will be an easy fix when it warms up a bit.
No leaks after replenishing the oil and everything is back to working normal. Oh and that piece of cedar wood is what sheared the bracket off.
Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.
Your "story" documents an innovative solution deserving of a 2022 Nobel prize !!!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That is a really awesome fix. I am sure that you thought of checking the filter for metal shavings from the drilling and tapping that you did.

Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I like the good outcome to your saga.(y)

I have a buddy with a green machine that has a crack in the main xmission casting several inches long. It is suspected that previous owner tried lifting too much weight with bucket and cracked the main casting. Unfortunately, any repair for him might require total disassembly and brazing.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I like the good outcome to your saga.(y)

I have a buddy with a green machine that has a crack in the main xmission casting several inches long. It is suspected that previous owner tried lifting too much weight with bucket and cracked the main casting. Unfortunately, any repair for him might require total disassembly and brazing.
The JD 110 TLB also has a well established history of cracked transmission housings.
I very seriously considered buying a JD 110 TLB, but the documented potential for a cracked transmission case pushed me away, and over to the Kubota L48 TLB.
I am a very happy L48 owner!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What did the bracket do, or more importantly what doesn't work now?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Wow, nice write-up and repair!
Re-adding the spring/mount later when weather is better is a good idea.
Your machine is usable right now!

That Lock-n-stitch is pretty nifty too.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice fix. Would it be possible/practical to use the brass plug as the new "boss" to remount the original bracket?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you plan on using the plug for the original bracket mounting, I suggest that a steel plug might be stronger than the brass. I would forgo the cruise control and not mess with the new "drain" plug. Anything that you attach to that plug might suffer the same fate at some time in the future, and it might not be as easy to repair the next time. You did a great job of dodging a bullet, so don't gamble your luck away in the future.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was thinking the softer brass may act as a "fuse".
YMMV

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
I think I would not take a chance with replacement of the bracket unless you could make a shield to protect the bracket, so it was not a reoccurrence. Even better would be away to fasten spring to something nearby with a zip tie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you make the bracket be the weakest link by using weak material and then sawing through it partially?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user