Correct way to install new gasket for chain box on FM TL-105 tiller

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Hi again... so, I got the chain installed, along with the tension bar; it seems to be correctly installed. So, now I have to put the gasket on between the cover and the tiller.

After many weeks, I finally got the gasket, seems to be made from some kind of thick gray oiled(?) paper.

My question is: do I use something like Permatex Gasket Maker, Oil Resistant? Having never done this before.

I was going to put the Permatex on the cover plate flange, around the holes and then put the gasket on top of the Permatex and put more Permatex on the gasket face and around the holes.

Then it says to assemble immediately while still wet, finger tighten until material (the Permatex) begins to squeeze out around the flange; let it dry for one hour and then tighten bolts to torque specs.

Am I missing anything?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My personal favorite is the Aviation Permatex...the stuff that is like runny black tar.

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Already bought 2 tubes of the Permatex Gasket Maker stuff...

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should not use a gasket with a gasket maker.

Either use the gasket maker alone per the instructions or get a gasket dressing/sealant and use the gasket.

The process you described above is fine for a gasket and sealant but not the material you currently have.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
That's it? so what to do now? put on a dry gasket?
See post #2. Return the stuff you bought, purchase Aviation Permatex. Use Aviation Permatex on both sides of the oily paper gasket, place gasket on the gearbox. Apply the metal cover over the gasket and get all the bolts started. Tighten the bolts evenly. Fill gearcase with oil.

Reactions: 1 users

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
See post #2. Return the stuff you bought, purchase Aviation Permatex. Use Aviation Permatex on both sides of the oily paper gasket, place gasket on the gearbox. Apply the metal cover over the gasket and get all the bolts started. Tighten the bolts evenly. Fill gearcase with oil.
Thank you... this is exactly what I was looking for... (y)