Correct Hydraulic Fitting Sealant

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Ok, so from what I have learned from this site is that I should NOT use Teflon tape on any hydraulic fitting. So I need to assemble a front snow blower, and there are several hydraulic fittings that need sealant. So what is the correct type of sealant,? Just a pipe dope that I would normally use on a black or galvanized pipe fitting? Or something special?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Depends on the fitting. JIC fittings don't use any tape. Only NPT fittings use tape, and a lot of times they don't need it.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't use sealant on any hydraulic fittings. Actually I don't use sealant on NPT fittings either. The Teflon tape isn't really for sealing. It makes tightening the fittings easier and smoother.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
When I replaced one of my hydraulic quick couplers I used Vibra-TITE 440 hydraulic and pneumatic thread sealant purchased on amazon. There are many brands of thread sealants you can use. Teflon tape should not be used but it gets used all the time even by a lot of dealers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Only tapered pipe threads need a sealant. Other threaded fittings rely on other means to seal the joint. Sometimes an o-ring, and sometimes a tapered seat.

It is typically considered taboo to use Teflon tape on hydraulic systems, and it would not be my first choice of products. That said, it should not be an issue if you do not wrap the Teflon tape at the end of the threads. Leave the first thread bare so the tape can’t get into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
The correct product is any that is rated for the pressure and use with petroleum products...read the label.

Any tape products are not recommended because bits and pieces can get into the system and foul orifices and relief valves. Yes many will say "I've been using tape for xx years blah blah...". But that does not mean its correct nor approved.

PTFE pastes are good, Permatex makes one, #80632. Also Loctite has several different products like #567, #569 or #542. We also sell small bottles on our website.

Reactions: 1 user