Cordless Grease Guns

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Had an opportunity to use a cordless grease gun for the first time yesterday. i've always viewed them as expensive toys for the average home mechanic. I was doing the 50 hour service on the neighbor's new Kubota excavator and it definitely proved it's usefulness there with the 20-odd zerks and a couple that use a LOT of grease.

So now I'm wondering if I "need" one for my shop. The only things I have that take more than a couple of shots of grease are the spindles on my finish mower and one end of the shaft on my rototiller.

Any of the "hobby/wannabes" on the forum have one and find it useful?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a Dewalt cordless a few years ago. 20V I think it is. I generally am working by myself and greasing can be a PIA. But well worth the $210. bucks. I use it 3 or 4 times a year. Tractor, ranger , Polaris Ace, I don't dread greasing now. I also bought a cordless Dewalt grinder for my business. It had no battiery so I use the battery and charger from the Greaser kit.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes! I was like you, only a few things, with the biggest being the tractor. I figured why waste the money. My wife got me DeWalt 20v Grease gun and I LOVE IT! Not that greasing is hard, but this makes greasing easy. Since I have gotten the grease gun, the biggest draw back, I use more grease than before, because everything that has a grease zerk, gets greased.

Yesterday, I greased my loader and turned right around and greased my dad's loader. It took me longer to clean the grease zerks before I greased than the greasing did. Well worth the money in my book.

One other footnote I added Lock-n-Lube to the gun.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
If I jump on it, I'll get a Milwaukee M18 to match all my other cordless tools, existing batteries and charger.

I have an indeterminate truck expense coming up next week. Once that's out of the way, I'll look at the balance in the toy fund and decide.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If I jump on it, I'll get a Milwaukee M18 to match all my other cordless tools, existing batteries and charger.

I have an indeterminate truck expense coming up next week. Once that's out of the way, I'll look at the balance in the toy fund and decide.
Getting one that works with existing batteries is a big money saver and makes the most sense. I think you will enjoy it.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have a dewalt 20v.
it broke the gear on the motor on its 3rd tube of grease. Dewalt was great, instead of shipping it out for repair, they were kind enough to send a replacement motor and i fixed it myself in 20 minutes.
like the grease gun, i prefer a heavier grease and a trigger is much easier than a hand pump.
I will definetly be sticking with Dewalt.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I have a 12v Milwaukee gun loaded with high temp grease for spindles and pto shafts (reasonably lightweight).
In also have a 20v Dewalt gun loaded with general purpose grease for everything else. The Dewalt is heavier, pumps to higher pressure, has LED in head to help locate zerks. Both guns have "Lock n Lube" couplers added, overpriced, best upgrade ever - coupler never pops off under pressure.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I vote get one when you can, and all the major brands are good get the one you have batteries for. I grabbed a M18 for Milwaukee batteries and it cuts the grease time significantly which I wasn’t expecting. It is now so easy it gets done every 10 hours whether the loader was really used or not. Less than 10 minutes to clean before and after on my B2650.

cjoffutt

Oct 14, 2019
Indiana
I have the Ryobi one since it was the cheapest option. Goes along with the cordless jigsaw (refused to pay the Makita price to match my other tools). It works great.

Pretty sure I paid ~$100 for the grease gun, plus the free charger and (2) battery kit from Home Depot's website.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
None needed here as I don't use cartridge grease. I have a couple lever guns with clear polycarbonate barrels so I can see how much grease is left inside and I load them from my pneumatic bulk greaser anyway. Most of my greasing is off the bulk greaser, have a 100 foot grease hose.

Grease is much less expensive in 150 pound open head drums and I use a lot.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I run a Lincoln air powered pneumatic hand greaser. While the hose is a slight hassle to deal with, no battery to run down and maintain is a big plus. A lot less expensive as well. Lock N Load coupler as well.

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
I am just a home gamer and order the dewalt grease gun when I order my Kubota. Also got the lock and lube. Maybe I am lazy, but I would not want to grease Kubota with out it. Plus it makes greasing the Atv, truck and etc easier. Plus it is true two hand gun, sometimes you need 3 or 4 hands with manual grease gun.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I've thought of getting one myself but I always wondered -

Is it easy to get a feel for how much grease you're pumping in? With the standard ones you can kinda feel the resistance in the handle and feel how much is being pumped. Also - how do you tell when you're getting low? Again, with the standard ones you can often tell by feel when its getting low or running out.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I've thought of getting one myself but I always wondered -

Is it easy to get a feel for how much grease you're pumping in? With the standard ones you can kinda feel the resistance in the handle and feel how much is being pumped. Also - how do you tell when you're getting low? Again, with the standard ones you can often tell by feel when its getting low or running out.
I just watch for the grease to come out. Normally, it is three to four cycles of the pump and there is grease. As far as knowing when it is empty, it sounds a little different and I don't see any grease coming out. (I know not super helpful, but after using it a few times, you will have a feel for it and will be able to know when it is going in and you will hear when it is not.)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have the M18 version and love it...been using it a couple years now.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I just watch for the grease to come out. Normally, it is three to four cycles of the pump and there is grease. As far as knowing when it is empty, it sounds a little different and I don't see any grease coming out. (I know not super helpful, but after using it a few times, you will have a feel for it and will be able to know when it is going in and you will hear when it is not.)
Yea i realize my concern seems kinda silly but... If I cant "feel" that greese with the pump, i feel like I would wonder if Im actually greasing properly. What if something happened and it just wasnt putting out grease properly and I go around hitting 20 zerks and cant tell? With the manual one, If it isnt pumping grease I can tell just by the feel. You can feel it going into the zerk. With electric you just push a trigger and hope its doing its job. I dunno, this issue is what has prevented me from trying one so far. Ive never even used one though - it may not be as bad as I think if I tried it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yea i realize my concern seems kinda silly but... If I cant "feel" that greese with the pump, i feel like I would wonder if Im actually greasing properly. What if something happened and it just wasnt putting out grease properly and I go around hitting 20 zerks and cant tell? With the manual one, If it isnt pumping grease I can tell just by the feel. You can feel it going into the zerk. With electric you just push a trigger and hope its doing its job. I dunno, this issue is what has prevented me from trying one so far. Ive never even used one though - it may not be as bad as I think if I tried it.
You can tell when the gun is empty. It is hard to explain, but the tone changes. IN addition, if you have a zerk not taking grease, you will know it also. The gun increase pressure and you hear that and if you don't stop, it will trigger the release valve on the gun. So, I think it would be hard not to know that you are or are not putting in grease.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
You can tell when the gun is empty. It is hard to explain, but the tone changes. IN addition, if you have a zerk not taking grease, you will know it also. The gun increase pressure and you hear that and if you don't stop, it will trigger the release valve on the gun. So, I think it would be hard not to know that you are or are not putting in grease.
Good to hear that. I may consider it. I have a lot of dewalt 20v tools and 4 or 5 batteries and 2 chargers, so the grease gun would fit in well. Ill think on it. Its just a tad expensive for the amount I grease.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Good to hear that. I may consider it. I have a lot of dewalt 20v tools and 4 or 5 batteries and 2 chargers, so the grease gun would fit in well. Ill think on it. Its just a tad expensive for the amount I grease.
I'm in same boat pre covid Amazon was around $139.00 for gun/ $159.00 kit.
Prices have been high on amazon so far this summer.