Coolant level?

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
I never have been able to figure out what the exact level should be on my L175. I read somewhere one time that it should be to the bottom of the filler tube which is down in there about two inches. As this is a percolating cooling system I want to keep it just right. Thanks. sorry about the pic but it was the best I could do for now.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I always fill 'em right to the top, where the gasket on the cap seats. I figure if it needs more room, it will spit some out when it gets hot. This has always worked for me.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Gurn,

I do like Lil Foot does, fill it to the top and then work the tractor to get everything up to temp. Once it cools down I check the level to see where it needs to stay.

On my L175 the water level is about 3/4" below the tube, when cool.

This is the only Thermo-Syphon cooling system I have had, so take the following for what its worth: in my opinion it is more important to keep the cooling system clean than in the normal type with a water pump. I check the oil and water level everyday that I use it, before I start the tractor.

I don't see any need to put a water temperature guage on because with this circulation system the water has to boil to circulate. I don't know what the pressure is (my radiator cap is unreadable) but with increased pressure the boiling point of water increases as well. 238* runs through my mind, and I don't want to get in the habit of thinking that ~240 is okay to see.

Hope this helps,

Robert