Converting L1500DT to power steering

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

It has been some time since I posted to the forum.

I know the last couple of posts I made was concerning my pending heart surgery, which I am happy to report went very well and my recovery has been rapid and complete.

The scar is all but gone, the surgeon complied with my request to sew me up versus using the clamps, (they used those on my Dad when they did his bypass surgery and he had one extremely nasty looking scar), so anyway he used a couple of small stiches and glue or liquid bandage, and it has healed very nicely.

I should have dropped by a long time ago and at least updated everyone on how I was doing, but I have been working on the hardest, most detailed, and intense conversion I have ever done, myself, but that is a story for another time in the right section of the forum.

I would like to take a sec and thank gpreuss, (aka Gil Preuss) for thinking about me and taking the time to drop me an e-mail asking how things were going!

Ok now that I have that out of the way, hehe...

My L1500DT has for the second time destroyed the weak link in the steering system, (the steering gearbox), granted this is twice now but over a 15 year period?

Anyway I have been thinking for a long time now about trying to convert it to power steering, the manual system can be a royal pain to steer sometimes, soooooo, has anyone ever tried this? Did it work? How did you get it done?

Is there any newer tractors with power steering that the parts would fit my old grey market, or am I gonna have to use my head for something besides a hat rack..lol.

Best Regards

South 40

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I can't help with the power steering, but I'm really glad you are back online and kicking. I've been out of country, on a rig without internet, so I'm trying to get caught up. Please do let us know how you finally make out with the PS.:D