Considering trading my L2501 on a L47TLB

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
What's the story with the stabilizer pads?
One picture shows with.
One picture shows without.
Did you add the pads between pictures?
Yes, I had them from the 2501. Good catch!

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 1, 2020
Saved yourself $250+
Much more if from Messick's
These guys

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
These guys
Yup.....
That is where I got mine.
$225 incl tax & ship.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
These guys
As I recall shipping (included) was $25, but I actually could have picked them up.

csobel

Equipment
B Series (sold), 2020 L47 TLB
Jun 9, 2023
SW Washington
Hi OnTheRidge,

I've had my L47 TLB going on a couple years now. There's no question it's a capable machine, and I've had zero mechanical or engine problems since new. A couple hydraulics needed tightening which they got on the first service, and there are a couple more now that are resulting in parts of the backhoe sagging. But that's pretty small as far as I'm concerned. As far as I know it's hard to find a similar sized tractor that has a lift capacity like it. The transmission is really really good and facilitates chores like moving dirt or mulch in a way that no other tranny can match! I believe it's shared with the grand L but I'm not as familiar with those. Also, being able to scoop a 1/3 yard bucket of gravel is great, and also move around with it no problem. I like that is has a large gas tank... but... you're going to need it, because the weight of the machine with only 47hp can go quickly if you're mowing, for instance. I used 8 gallons on 3 acres the other day...

The backhoe detachment engineering is amazing -- 2 pins out, detach the hydraulics and its off. I can't see improving much on that one. It does take a little bit of time if you need to drop the backhoe, attach 3 point linkages, and then attach an implement, and unlike smaller tractors you need a wrench or drill to do so. Someone on the web wrote "15 minutes to get the backhoe off and an implement on"! Ok, maybe they are great at doing that--but it takes me more like 45 to an hour if something is stuck or I have to fiddle with a rusted piece...

Here are some things that I have not liked about it or have remedied: it has a punishing ride with ballasted tires. This is partly it just being a tractor, but, the frame is significantly stiffer and more robust than a non-TLB. This goes right to the operator. I believe in the manual Kubota recommends ditching the ballast if you're doing backhoe work. I inured my neck digging once because of a shock load. The seat is tilted forward in a very uncomfortable position and has no adjustability in this regard. Just about the worst setup as far as comfort is concerned. I come off the tractor and instantly get a migraine if I've been doing heavy work for a few hours. I finally just ordered the KM 136 air ride seat for the L and MX series and I plan to try to figure out how to fab it onto the tractor... and I think I'm going to ditch the ballast for now and run lower pressures because it's pretty capable either way.

It's great that the front remote puts out a healthy 11 gpm's of hydraulic flow. Because of that, and all the other hydraulics, it's not the best for its engine size for running rear implements. If you notice it only has about 30 PTO hp vs an L4701 has almost 38 or something. I'd personally rather have the flow than the rear PTO, but it is a tradeoff. I run a 72" flail mower and it does pretty good, although this year I've had to let it rest more in hotter weather due to rising temperatures while mowing. The computer, which is great, does a good job at letting you know if your temps are getting too hot and it'll actually forcibly take over the RPM's and cool down to protect it. I would say a 62" flail would be a better size for it but it runs the 72" pretty good because of the machine's portly weight. You just have to go slower in thick and/or damp brush and heavy grass.

Although they claim its "indestructible" (that's my exaggeration), I have ripped off the bottom metal guards before, and others have said that the water separator can get hit pretty easily. At least it has some nice fairings that protect the hydraulics, as they are cheaper to replace.

Enjoy the new TLB, and keep us posted on your impressions!

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 1, 2020
I was thinking it was some model I never heard of...lol. So then any model would be considered TLB as long as you had those options???
Not exactly. The 3 machines Kubota builds to be more like an actual backhoe, M62, L47, B26, are specicially labeled TLB. I believe they have a stronger subframe than a tractor with an add-on BH. Clear as mud, right?:)

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Not exactly. The 3 machines Kubota builds to be more like an actual backhoe, M62, L47, B26, are specicially labeled TLB. I believe they have a stronger subframe than a tractor with an add-on BH. Clear as mud, right?:)
Crystal clear. No, seriously that makes sense. Thank you(y)

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Here's an older video on the TLB models that taught me a lot.

Reactions: 1 users