Considering F3990 for steep pasture mowing

Capt Bill

Equipment
MX 6000
Jul 10, 2020
North Carolina
Looking for information on F3990. I have about 25 acres of pasture with some 30 degree hills. Using MX 6000 with 72” rotary cutter and Cub Cadet 900 Pro. Tall grass too much for Cadet and hills uncomfortable for tractor.
Question - will F 3990 cut 3’ tall pasture grass on steep hill - with one pass? Really would like to demo F mower on my land as don’t want to spend the money for another equipment without significant improvement. Appreciate any ideas as well as pricing info.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
3 foot grass it may cut, but it's not really made for that. A bush hog on a tractor is the right equipment for that environment, and an MX6000 would be a great choice. Is your MX ballasted / loaded tires? Are you using a bush hog, or maybe a flail? What is uncomfortable about it exactly - is the tractor tippy, or just that you feel uncomfortable? I'm not sure if spacers can be added to a tractor that large, but dual rear wheels probably can, which would greatly improve stability.

Capt Bill

Equipment
MX 6000
Jul 10, 2020
North Carolina
3 foot grass it may cut, but it's not really made for that. A bush hog on a tractor is the right equipment for that environment, and an MX6000 would be a great choice. Is your MX ballasted / loaded tires? Are you using a bush hog, or maybe a flail? What is uncomfortable about it exactly - is the tractor tippy, or just that you feel uncomfortable? I'm not sure if spacers can be added to a tractor that large, but dual rear wheels probably can, which would greatly improve stability.
MX 6000 with 72” bush hog. wheels loaded and spread with wide tires. Great setup. problem is turning around at top and bottom of hills - not much room and uncomfortable. May need to go up and back down? Really like the center of gravity of the Cadet but have to keep pastures cut to maybe a foot - lots of work. I can cut most side hill with the Cadet. Just hoping the F3990 might do steep side hill in tall grass. Or is it closer to finish mower like the Cadet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
MX 6000 with 72” bush hog. wheels loaded and spread with wide tires. Great setup. problem is turning around at top and bottom of hills - not much room and uncomfortable. May need to go up and back down? Really like the center of gravity of the Cadet but have to keep pastures cut to maybe a foot - lots of work. I can cut most side hill with the Cadet. Just hoping the F3990 might do steep side hill in tall grass. Or is it closer to finish mower like the Cadet.
On really steep ground, safer to BACK up and forward down with 4 wd engaged.

If the terrain allows, drive around to access the top by a less steep route and go down again to mow another strip.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
An F series with 4wd would be Ideal for the hill work, if you can get a flail Mower deck for it.
I'm not sure if the rotary mower deck can handle 3 foot grass.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You said you wanted ideas so ..... Maybe you could run temporary electric fence around the hillside and overgraze it with some goats. It is amazing what they can do to a field. I have done this in the past to clear out an area that the owner was afraid of burning during a drought. The results are amazing and if any neighbors have goats the cost is minimal, as this will allow their pasture to "rest". The, step in posts, with the ribbon wire plus a solar charger is all the equipment you will need. If you have other animals in the pasture the goats prefer the things that cows and horse will not eat.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've heard people saying an F, even with 4WD, doesn't love steep hills. They can lose a bit of traction, and the wheels are quite small (not so much contact patch). It'd turn far better than an MX, but the actual hill holding might not be as good. It also seems like a lot of money for a solution to an infrequent problem - sounds like you're not mowing that often. The MX on paper should do it. What can you do to modify the runout area at the bottom of the hill - sounds like you have some flat land and some hill land, is the fence too close to the edge of the hill? If you moved the fence would it make the MX easier to work with?

Capt Bill

Equipment
MX 6000
Jul 10, 2020
North Carolina
I've heard people saying an F, even with 4WD, doesn't love steep hills. They can lose a bit of traction, and the wheels are quite small (not so much contact patch). It'd turn far better than an MX, but the actual hill holding might not be as good. It also seems like a lot of money for a solution to an infrequent problem - sounds like you're not mowing that often. The MX on paper should do it. What can you do to modify the runout area at the bottom of the hill - sounds like you have some flat land and some hill land, is the fence too close to the edge of the hill? If you moved the fence would it make the MX easier to work with?
That’s a good approach to the issue. The MX is a good product and should do the job. I can either back up the hill or look at grading out several turning spots - no problem. Thanks to all for the suggestions.