Considering an L3902 but want to be able to plow steep driveway. Dealer has an L3302 in stock. Need help

JerkyChew

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 20, 2022
Northeast
I've bought a larger property and plan on using a brush hog / flail mower next year, so I had settled on an L3902. The property has a long (900 foot) driveway which is somewhat steep. I have a plow truck but she's not doing so well and if I'm spending this kind of $$ on a tractor I thought that I should have the option of replacing the truck with the tractor if the need arises. I've seen that folks attach 7 foot plows to their Kubota's so I wanted to explore this option. It looks like the L tractors don't offer center-mount PTO's so a snowblower attachment wouldn't be possible unless I wanted a rear-mount, which I don't.

I've started calling around and the local dealer has an L3302 in stock but not a 39. My questions are - First, does this idea make sense? Does the Kubota have enough pushing power to plow my driveway? And if it does, would the 33 be an acceptable option or should I really go for as much HP as possible?

If I'm way out of line and there's a better option, please let me know! I don't know what I don't know! Thanks in advance.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I believe the L3302 will have enough power for your needs assuming you're willing to go slow. The L3902, with more power, will enable you to get the job done quicker.

If I were you, I'd also be looking at the Grand L (L3560-LE) Tractor. Many members have posted recently that the prices are very similar and you would be getting WAY more tractor going with the Grand L.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

JerkyChew

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 20, 2022
Northeast
First, thank you for pointing out the grand L - I hadn't considered those at all but a quick configuration showed the price to be pretty close the the L3902 I had specced out.

Second, damn you! :p:p - Now I have to go and learn a whole new tractor setup to determine what I end up buying! Kidding of course, thank you very much for this suggestion.

JerkyChew

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 20, 2022
Northeast
Grand L can have a mid mount PTO added too.
I just saw that on the configurator... This certainly changes things a bit.

My land is fairly hilly. Is it safe to assume that a larger tractor like the Grand L may be more of a rollover risk than the L3x02 models?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
My land is fairly hilly. Is it safe to assume that a larger tractor like the Grand L may be more of a rollover risk than the L3x02 models?
No idea. I have a MX with wheels set wide and 600ish pounds of weights on them. And usually 800ish pounds hanging off the 3 point. It is very stable while using the loader.

Anything can rollover given the correct circumstances.

JerkyChew

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 20, 2022
Northeast
The prices look very comparable until you add on a factory-installed cab, and then wow, that escalated quickly. How big of an undertaking would it be to install a cab at a later date, if at all? I've found Curtis and other cabs that work with smaller tractors but nothing for the grand L series.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The prices look very comparable until you add on a factory-installed cab, and then wow, that escalated quickly. How big of an undertaking would it be to install a cab at a later date, if at all? I've found Curtis and other cabs that work with smaller tractors but nothing for the grand L series.
If you're just looking to keep snow off your neck and add a heater for winter use.....there's a few home made tractor cab threads here on OTT. They can be as basic or elaborate as you want to make it if you have a few basic tools and skills. Mine goes on/off just for winter use on the B2650.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
The L3560 LE is a terrific tractor and probably exactly what you are looking for from feature and versatility standpoint. Mine is open station, but I'm in KY and don't plan to clear snow. The tractor lives at our farm which is just a weekend and hunting place. If clearing snow is a big part of your plans, I'd find a way to stretch the budget to get a cab tractor. I also started out looking at L3301 or L3901 and after comparing prices and features, the L3560 LE became an easy choice - no regrets.

Reactions: 1 user

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
I tried to look at your location but only see Northeast which means different things to different people. In my situation, lots of snow, very steep, both your options would be much to light. Power is not so much of a need if your not using the pto. I need a much heavier piece of equipment than my tractors. Wheels just spin even with chains when trying to move heavy or deep snow. Your conditions may be much different.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
If you're just looking to keep snow off your neck and add a heater for winter use.....there's a few home made tractor cab threads here on OTT. They can be as basic or elaborate as you want to make it if you have a few basic tools and skills. Mine goes on/off just for winter use on the B2650.
That is a L3540 with tire chains on al 4 wheels. A 8' plow that is 2' high. R4 tires. I does not do much without chains. With chains it pushes a lot of snow.
20150215_091006.jpg

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
I just saw that on the configurator... This certainly changes things a bit.

Grand L is like ~800lbs heavier IIRC, I would think it would be less of a rollover risk. As someone else said, can certainly still happen.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a 7 ft rear blade that works on my L2501 for pushing snow on my hilly road. Do consider getting chains. I prefer having a bucket to move the deeper snow further off the road once it piles up.

But, I usually snow plow with my Polaris Ranger since it is so much faster.

I think the L3560LE or L4060LE is going to be close to the same price and can be had with an upgraded much powerful loader.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I have a 7 ft rear blade that works on my L2501 for pushing snow on my hilly road. Do consider getting chains. I prefer having a bucket to move the deeper snow further off the road once it piles up.

But, I usually snow plow with my Polaris Ranger since it is so much faster.

I think the L3560LE or L4060LE is going to be close to the same price and can be had with an upgraded much powerful loader.
Loader for the L3560 LE is either LA555 or LA805. Loader for L4060 LE is LA805. Have to move up to L4760 to get the LA1055. The Grand L tractors shine for snow removal due to the option for a mid PTO and a front mounted snow blower.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I have a plow truck but she's not doing so well and if I'm spending this kind of $$ on a tractor I thought that I should have the option of replacing the truck with the tractor if the need arises....

Does the Kubota have enough pushing power to plow my driveway?
If you only push going down hill and never get much snow it's a great machine for the job.

If you are pushing you need weight behind you. HP and 4WD is useless when all your wheels are spinning in place.

Fix your plow truck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
3rd option for a snowblower , is to have an SSQA selfpowered snowblower.
EASY to attach when required, no loss of HP from tractor.
The big problem with blades (any) is you NEED to get the snow 'far,far away' the FIRST time......

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Any of the tractor models listed will work for you as long as you size the plow accordingly, and some weight, and put some chains on. You don’t necessarily need a large tractor to do it. Just a larger tractor will do it faster. A BX series would do it, just take way way longer than an MX series. It’s not so much about size as equipping which ever one you get properly and planning on the amount of time each model will take to get the job done.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Our driveway isn't nearly as long as yours, about 500'. I used to pay for plow service and after that had an F350 with a plow myself. As GreensvilleJay mentioned, you need to get the snow far away - the 1st time.
Not sure where you are located but here in Ct it wouldn't be unusual to get several storms in a few weeks. The issue is your driveway becomes only as wide as your plow - eventually you can't widen anymore because the banks are too high. In addition, plowing downhill (the only option for me) meant the area in front of the garages became frightfully smaller.
On my last tractor, an L3400, I bit the bullet and found a 5' Normand (3pt mount). When I picked up my L3800 I found a 5' Blizzard, also 3pt. Even with 2 neck fusions I look forward to getting out there and blowin' some snow.
You can't beat a snowblower for most driveways.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
I plow a 1400' somewhat hilly Wisconsin driveway with a 7ft backblade on my MX5200 without issue. Its all about traction. I have ag tires. R4s are pretty much useless in snow and will likely need chains. The more weight you have the better. Fill your tires.