Connecting FDR 1660 to the QH10 Quick Hitch????

WoodShop Warrior

Equipment
B2650HSDC, BH77, FDR1660, LA534A
Jun 10, 2020
Virginia
Have a question about using the QH 10 to attach the FDR1660 Finishing Mower Deck. Got the 2650 delivered yesterday and the guy had an issue hooking this implement up???? I thought maybe some bolts were in wrong slots and had to move lower link bars and thought that may solve issue but not sure how the top floating link is supposed to stay( lock) in the upper hook of the quick hitch. The bottom two go in and lock nicely and the top one fits in hook but when you go to raise deck the front wheels come off ground and the back wheels stay in contact. There is no way this is correct will call dealer but I trust the experience on this thread way more!!!! Thank for any input. Maybe I am missing something that should be with deck.
Don ( Help, I need my mower!!!!) View attachment 45339 View attachment 45339
Top Link.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
There are features on your mower which need to be set up properly.

Spend some time going through the owner's manual.

The lower 3 pt attachments on the FDR may be floating or not depending on where bolts are placed.

I have marked a slotted hole on an illustration in the operator's manual. I cannot tell from the manual but usually Landpride provides a hole for a pin to block the floating feature when you want to raise the mower for servicing as otherwise the float action uses up a lot of the lifting action.

forum FDR1660 1.jpg

The rear hole for the bars #2 which go from the top of the 3 pt hitch to the rear of the mower are also critical. Holes E, F & G.

forum FDR1660.jpg

Although it is disappointing, often the guys dealers send out to set up implements know less about the implement than you will after studying the manual.

Feel free to ask more questions. I just did not want to quote the entire manual to you.

Here is a link to the manual.

FDR1660

It is common for the top link to just rest in the hook. I do not think you will find it coming detached.

Dave

Gadget

Equipment
B2650, LP FDR1672 Finish Mower, Box Scraper, LP QH05
Jun 8, 2018
Hodgenville, Kentucky
You need to purchase a floating top link kit (see figure 1-5 in post above). I am using a QH05 with my FDR1672. I had to purchase the floating top link from my local dealer (about $38) to make it work. The kit attaches to the quick hitch.

Gadget

Equipment
B2650, LP FDR1672 Finish Mower, Box Scraper, LP QH05
Jun 8, 2018
Hodgenville, Kentucky
Most dealers don’t set these mowers up for use with a quick hitch. I had to adjust mine after I got it home per the instructions in the owners manual. One other note....you should use the float position on your 3 point hitch when using a quick hitch with a floating top link (also per the owners manual). Great mowers......well pleased with mine.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
You need to purchase a floating top link kit (see figure 1-5 in post above). I am using a QH05 with my FDR1672. I had to purchase the floating top link from my local dealer (about $38) to make it work. The kit attaches to the quick hitch.
Gadget is correct. You are missing the floating top link.

forum FDR1660 2.jpg

forum FDR1660 3.jpg

There are different series of Quick hitches. The above is for the QH15 but make certain to get the right one for your hitch.

The first part of this video shows the hardware.

Quick Hitch video

Dave

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
Hey guys. Hope all is well with everyone. So thoroughly confused by the floating top link adapter. Let me ask this. Have a 2380, LP QH05, LP tiller and box blade. Do I need the adapter mentioned above? Really don't understand its purpose. Also, someone mentioned putting you rear implement in float. Box blade or tiller? How is that done? Showing me rookieness! Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Hey guys. Hope all is well with everyone. So thoroughly confused by the floating top link adapter. Let me ask this. Have a 2380, LP QH05, LP tiller and box blade. Do I need the adapter mentioned above? Really don't understand its purpose. Also, someone mentioned putting you rear implement in float. Box blade or tiller? How is that done? Showing me rookieness! Thanks
The important difference is that the mower is designed to run on its own wheels being pulled by the lower links of the 3 pt hitch.

If the top link were rigidly attached to the mower, should the tractor and mower go through a dip, the 3 pt linkage would try and carry the mower, now riding on only its rear wheels, across the dip. This would put severe stresses on the top link and bend or break something.

The floating Top link link design is to avoid these stresses while still allowing the 3 pt to pick up the mower.

If there was not a quick hitch being used, the mowers own top link connection point can swivel.

However, using the top hook on the Quick Hitch means that the landpride link can come out of the hook hence the two extra bars to hold it in place while still allowing movement.

Your 3 pt hitch arms, regardless of the height they are at, can be lifted more by hand as they are floating all the time. You cannot put down pressure on a 3 pt hitch unlike a loader.

The Landpride mower also has the option of having its lower 3 pt connection to the tractor float by use of a slotted hole. This is just easier floating that the lifting of the lower 3 pt arms.

Dave

MFFI422

Equipment
BX2380 -Drive Over Mower Deck- LP Tiller - FEL - LP Box Blade - LP QH - Canopy
Jun 10, 2020
Arkansas
Ok. I think I get it. Thanks for taking the time. I have a drive over deck so no worries there. Only use the 3 point quick hitch for my box blade and tiller at this time. Appreciate the help.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
2019-03-10 19.15.09.jpg

The floating top link makes a world of difference with my FDR1672 Notice that the lower pair of 3 point links also articulate up and down with the slot mentioned. In addition to that I have a float valve on my tilt cylinder. This setup goes through swales and dips and ditches very nicely. I often look back to make sure that I am not binding my PTO shaft but it all rides along with contours in both the direction of travel and perpendicular. I can still lift the mower off the ground for clearing ugly obstacles if needed. I don't have any attachments that require removing the quick hitch so I leave the floating top link on all the time. With other attachments that don't need it, I throw it over onto the top link cylinder shaft after replacing the pin and cotters. Though my L2501 is not capable of a belly mower, I can think of no reason I would want one. The rear finish mower can dance around and up under obstacles without the tractor getting in the way.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
View attachment 45515
The floating top link makes a world of difference with my FDR1672 Notice that the lower pair of 3 point links also articulate up and down with the slot mentioned. In addition to that I have a float valve on my tilt cylinder. This setup goes through swales and dips and ditches very nicely. I often look back to make sure that I am not binding my PTO shaft but it all rides along with contours in both the direction of travel and perpendicular. I can still lift the mower off the ground for clearing ugly obstacles if needed. I don't have any attachments that require removing the quick hitch so I leave the floating top link on all the time. With other attachments that don't need it, I throw it over onto the top link cylinder shaft after replacing the pin and cotters. Though my L2501 is not capable of a belly mower, I can think of no reason I would want one. The rear finish mower can dance around and up under obstacles without the tractor getting in the way.
Nice Picture! Illustrates and answers the the OP's question well. FWIW, I remove the hook on my QH15 when I'm using the floating link kit. It may be the way I have mine set up, but my finish mower really beats the hook up if I leave it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Nice Picture! Illustrates and answers the the OP's question well. FWIW, I remove the hook on my QH15 when I'm using the floating link kit. It may be the way I have mine set up, but my finish mower really beats the hook up if I leave it on.
Yes, I remove the hook too. Need to mount my bigger toolbox.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
However, using the top hook on the Quick Hitch means that the landpride link can come out of the hook hence the two extra bars to hold it in place while still allowing movement.
Thats exactly why I had this made for mine. Now I just adjust the top linkage and use the original gear on my bush hogs.

Attachments