Confirm my battery diagnosis, please?

trikepilot

Equipment
B2620HSD w/ LA364 BH65, 48in Bush Hog, Bush Hog rear blade, Woods 5ft Box Blade
Jul 18, 2020
Hardy, VA
I am new to diesel tractors. I bought a 240hr used 2013 B2620 TLB a few months back from my local dealer (one owner trade in). Due to winter... I only used it sporadically (never more than 1hr) since then and it has been in a garage at 50 deg or warmer and on a battery tender since then.

I added a digital voltmeter with 2x USB charging port direct wired to battery. Other than that it was how I got it from dealer.

Used it all day today and it was great... until it would not start. With no warning, I got a click and no start. Voltmeter went to 9.7 under start load. Under no load it reads 12.6. When running voltmeter reads 13.5-13.7 so I am assuming alternator is doing its job.

I figure the battery is likely OEM and has a bad cell. The alt could not keep up with charging it. I say this since under load... it dropped to 9.7. I brought the boat batt out to the tractor and it started and ran just fine. It will not run without any battery connected but my interweb searches indicates this is normal - ie: not a test of a properly operating alternator.

I ordered a new battery online and will pick up at 0800 on Monday. I am on vacay this coming week and gave alot of work slated for the tractor.

So to those more savvy Kubota users... does this sound about right. Weakened battery (7-8 year old) that needs replacement? Same thing happened about 2 mos ago on my RTV400ci and a new batt has fixed it.

Just looking for positive reinforcement...

Thanks

Harrison

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Yes, sounds like a correct diagnosis.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
With everything you mentioned ..... check the pos and neg cables up close - clean them, clean them again and bright and tight the new battery, see how it goes then.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am new to diesel tractors. I bought a 240hr used 2013 B2620 TLB a few months back from my local dealer (one owner trade in). Due to winter... I only used it sporadically (never more than 1hr) since then and it has been in a garage at 50 deg or warmer and on a battery tender since then.

I added a digital voltmeter with 2x USB charging port direct wired to battery. Other than that it was how I got it from dealer.

Used it all day today and it was great... until it would not start. With no warning, I got a click and no start. Voltmeter went to 9.7 under start load. Under no load it reads 12.6. When running voltmeter reads 13.5-13.7 so I am assuming alternator is doing its job.

I figure the battery is likely OEM and has a bad cell. The alt could not keep up with charging it. I say this since under load... it dropped to 9.7. I brought the boat batt out to the tractor and it started and ran just fine. It will not run without any battery connected but my interweb searches indicates this is normal - ie: not a test of a properly operating alternator.

I ordered a new battery online and will pick up at 0800 on Monday. I am on vacay this coming week and gave alot of work slated for the tractor.

So to those more savvy Kubota users... does this sound about right. Weakened battery (7-8 year old) that needs replacement? Same thing happened about 2 mos ago on my RTV400ci and a new batt has fixed it.

Just looking for positive reinforcement...

Thanks

Harrison
You are on the right track.

I would add that leaving the digital voltmeter on at all times will drain the battery. Its current draw, while small, will drain the battery . Wire it to only be ON when the key switch is ON

Dave

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My tractor I bought new in 2013 I believe. I use it all winter long. Plug in the block heater an hour or more before starting on Cold days and hold the glow plugs on a full 30 seconds before starting. But at 9 yrs old I'm always waiting for the battery to fail.

trikepilot

Equipment
Jul 18, 2020
Hardy, VA
Thanks guys. Just making sure I was not missing something.

I leave the voltmeter and usb chargers connected to battery so I can charge stuff when ignition is off. Draw is minimal and batts live on a tender. Maybe I'll get burned but I am fine with the tradeoff

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I added a digital voltmeter with 2x USB charging port direct wired to battery.
I have used that arrangement on my sawmill and for many years. Yes, there is a constant minuscule current draw but it is relative to how long it is unattended/unused. When I climb into the operator's seat and see that digital voltmeter indicating 12.7vdc+, I just smile knowing that all is OK. (y)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
If the battery is 7+ years old, and the voltage collapses with a little bit of load and the alternator charging, yep, I'd say it's got a sulfated cell in it. You already answered your own question with your boat battery.

trikepilot

Equipment
Jul 18, 2020
Hardy, VA
I have used that arrangement on my sawmill and for many years. Yes, there is a constant minuscule current draw but it is relative to how long it is unattended/unused. When I climb into the operator's seat and see that digital voltmeter indicating 12.7vdc+, I just smile knowing that all is OK. (y)
Yup. Tickles my OCD. I have them on my cars, boats, tractor, UTV, daughter's Joyner dune buggy, generator, motorcycles, and lord knows what else. Cheap, effective, and give you two high-speed usb connectors without a "brick" to plug into.

Yes... they draw a minuscule amt of power but it is not an issue on a good batt with a trickle charger. Plus having the voltmeter on the 2620 let me watch the batt drop from 12.6 to 9.7 under the start load which helped me diagnose.

trikepilot

Equipment
Jul 18, 2020
Hardy, VA
New battery was the fix. Works like a charm now

Got most of my forest road roughed in