Cold Diesel Fuel?

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Today I started my MX5400 and it fired right up. The tractor sits outside and it was about 12F and has been in the single digits the past few days. About 20 minutes after starting, the RPMs slowed, then revved several times then the engine died. In the fuel filter the fuel looked "slushy" - not frozen, but not clear either. I let it sit about 10 mins and tried again. It fired right up and ran the rest of the time. The fuel in the filter cleared up as well. Was this the dreaded gelling of the fuel?

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Today I started my MX5400 and it fired right up. The tractor sits outside and it was about 12F and has been in the single digits the past few days. About 20 minutes after starting, the RPMs slowed, then revved several times then the engine died. In the fuel filter the fuel looked "slushy" - not frozen, but not clear either. I let it sit about 10 mins and tried again. It fired right up and ran the rest of the time. The fuel in the filter cleared up as well. Was this the dreaded gelling of the fuel?
Sure sounds like it. Your lucky you got it to fire up again. It's a blast to try to fix in those kind of temps.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hopefully the weather will pass down it Texas - place some power service white bottle in there and diesel on!

1613686649998.png

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Lots of people learning about fuel additive and gelling.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My M5660 has a fuel cooler in front of the radiator! That should be a big plus in sub-zero temperatures.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I took a fuel sample from the bottom of my bulk tank into a mason jar and set it out in the wx to see if it would gel. It didn’t. But by the time I thought to try this experiment (to see if I’d bought summer or winter blend last late-spring)... the temps were already around 20-F...
So I’ve placed it in my deep freeze.... and overnight it ...A L M O S T ... turned to gel....it’s taken on a slightly ”milky” appearance but not fully gelled. I’m guessing I’ve got a mixture of last winter’s and this last spring’s red dyed diesel.
Being down here in central Tx I never thought I’d need anti-gel. Next year I might buy some Stanadyne (based upon the YouTube video test posted earlier).... or if I can’t find it my second choice will be the Hot Shot.

Sooo..... what is the down-side to running anti-Gel during the summertime in higher temps, if any?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ordinary Stabil diesel doesn’t do anything for you as regards gelling... because I always use it when I refill my bulk tank..... maybe that All-Season will.

Irrigation Guy

Equipment
B2601
Dec 19, 2020
North East
I used to have a new Holland that would collect water in this little flexible fuel line that was shaped like a sink trap. Somehow moisture would always get into the fuel, it never effected anything Whalen it was warm but as soon as it got below freezing that line would lock up tighter than a crabs ass

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Sooo..... what is the down-side to running anti-Gel during the summertime in higher temps, if any?
If there is one I’ve yet to find it.
we do get some 80-90° weather up here for a few days a year.....
I put white PS additive in fuel all year. More for the lube for the HPFP in the VW. It’s at the local auto parts store, (other brands may not be). Cheap insurance and in the fall if winter blend is not swapped in quick enough (and how would we know) the fuel will be fine. It’s not unusual to get below 0f here in October.....

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
I've been adding Power service white during the cold months and silver in the summer and never had any issue in about thirty years in my equipment. Change the oil and clean or change the fuel filter (s) in the fall.
Near the 45th parallel, temp range is about 10* below F to about 90* F.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I used to have a new Holland that would collect water in this little flexible fuel line that was shaped like a sink trap. Somehow moisture would always get into the fuel, it never effected anything Whalen it was warm but as soon as it got below freezing that line would lock up tighter than a crabs ass
Here’s how water can get into a fuel system you believe is “water-tight”:
Your engine consumes fuel and the dropping fuel-level in the tank is replaced by atmosphere which has humidity. (Air above the fuel level in a tank is called “ullage”.)
That tank cools down (especially a LOT if it sits above the engine) every night... during the day it warms up and air is expelled thru the vent...and at night cools down and air is sucked into the tank via the vent.... and moisture condenses on the tank walls and runs down and ..since water is heavier than fuel, sinks to the bottom where it either flows by gravity or is sucked out by the fuel pump to settle in other places (such as your low-point in your fuel line) or gets to your pump ....causing it to lose lubrication ...and to your injectors causing them to be damaged from the steam generated by that high-pressure fuel entering the injector.

Irrigation Guy

Equipment
B2601
Dec 19, 2020
North East
Here’s how water can get into a fuel system you believe is “water-tight”:
Your engine consumes fuel and the dropping fuel-level in the tank is replaced by atmosphere which has humidity. (Air above the fuel level in a tank is called “ullage”.)
That tank cools down (especially a LOT if it sits above the engine) every night... during the day it warms up and air is expelled thru the vent...and at night cools down and air is sucked into the tank via the vent.... and moisture condenses on the tank walls and runs down and ..since water is heavier than fuel, sinks to the bottom where it either flows by gravity or is sucked out by the fuel pump to settle in other places (such as your low-point in your fuel line) or gets to your pump ....causing it to lose lubrication ...and to your injectors causing them to be damaged from the steam generated by that high-pressure fuel entering the injector.
makes sense, I am glad to be rid of that tractor for that reason among others

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Keep in mind adding anti-gel when its already cold out does nothing. Anti-gel must be added prior to the temps getting below zero or near zero in order for it to work properly. I'm told putting some in the truck right at the pump and then filling up is best, for both the mixing action and the fact that the underground tanks are heated slightly.

I had the fuel gel in my 2017 Super Duty, but the temps were hitting -20F for a few days.