Coin SHortage?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a question to all the smart people out there. Today I went got lottery tickets and staples for the week. In every store I went there was a sign saying they want/need/will buy your coinage. So I asked the girl at the place where I get my lottery tickets what was up with the coin thing. And since it was shift change there were several girls working there. The manager said head office memo said to get as much change as can be gotten,, with no explanation. One of the other girls, that works at another establishment said the other place was told the same thing.he asked her boss and, according to her, her boss told her when he asked the bank about the coin thing, the teller that is a good friend said, the treasury dept is slowly and quietly recalling all the coinage, but she did know why. Anybody have any ideas? I mean this is to much of a coincidence to get the same story from several different people.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Pennies should have been discontinued years ago. Canada has done so.

Related but unrelated. I needed to buy some washers last week. I can drill holes in pennies much cheaper than buying washers.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I haven't heard about them slowly recalling change. What they were reporting over the radio here was a two fold issue.

The mints aren't producing at capacity since the virus, shut downs and ilstay at home orders.

The second issue is most people opting for card purchases and handling less cash since money is one of the dirtiest things out there.

It does make sense that they are using the latest events to move towards a cashless society. Vending machines are being set up to accept credit/ debit cards. Same with the do it yourself car washes.

About the only thing I use cash for is lotto tickets. But quite a few places are accepting debit cards now for lotto tickets so I dont even need it for that.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Coins are a hard surface that holds and transmits covid according to some study somewhere im guessing.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Older CDN pennies(ones that don't stick to magnets) are worth a LOT more than 1 cent each.......
Pre1968 quarters,50c and dollars are wotth 13* face value...
You can make a LOT of money trading paper money for coins !

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My wife sent me a picture of a sign saying the same thing from a store earlier. It said if change was due it would be loaded to your loyalty card instead. I believe she was at kroger

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Of course, no one is hauling the change they have collected back to the banks or stores either. So all them coins sitting in jugs at home are out of circulation as well.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There is a reason to remove the coins from society. If they can get you to use credit and debit cards then you will no longer have any control over your money.

In China one of the regions pays all its workers on their cell phone. The only way to buy anything is to use an app on the phone that reads the square black and white boxes. I forget the name of them. Now the government knows exactly how much money someone has and where the money is spent. And they now control which stores you can use your money at. This allows them to easily control the items bought. If they do not want you to have a new car for example, then your phone will not work at the car dealer. If they want to raise taxes they simple take the money from your account. You will no longer be able to save for your retirement. They will simply take it away fro you.

How many of you use ACH accounts to pay your bills or receive moneys from some one? How many of you read the form that you sign to be able to use the ACH? ALL of the ones that I have seen says something to the effect, I give xyz company permission to deposit and WITHDRAW money from my account. They are not required to give notice either.

So you are allowing strangers access to you accounts and there is nothing you can do if they take all your money. You gave them permission.

The governments will do this all because making money is old fashion and very expensive to make. Some companies are already refusing to accept cash. All because of a virus.

This world is in for a world of hurt.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Boy, I Piss folks off. Never had never will will have a debit card. I've closed bank accounts over it and still will!
Also pay off all and any credit cards monthly.

Cash is KING!

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Some companies are already refusing to accept cash. All because of a virus.
that's actually against Federal law, at least up here it is. I still have a lot of $1 and $2 paper bills, get interesting looks when I use them !!!

A great scam by carlots and others is to limit you paying ,say for a new ford or Kubota, to less than say $4,000. Legally they CANNOT do that. If you card has a 10K limit, and a balance of 9,500, you can us ethe card for 9500. If they refuse, call the 1-800 number to confirm the purchase. If they still refuse, the card company will pull THEIR account.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Finally ran into this, the local Jack in Box is refusing all cash transactions, cards only.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My question is who will enforce the law? The bill itself says, "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" . I guess if you walk into a store and lay cash down on the counter and walk out there is not much anyone could do about it. Take a picture of it on the counter and walk out?

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If you will read the Book of Revelation, chapter 13 verse 17 it might be interesting to you. I know some will understand, some will not and others will fight it.
"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.”

The prophecy of the Bible tells of certain events for lack of better term that will be part of the judgement period of this world. One is we will have a society where spending is very regulated. Many say for it to happen it must be a cashless society. Many say it will be used to be sure all people are controlled and to be sure there is not spending without the government being paid their taxes and to regulated what is considered illegal business such as drugs or prostitution.

The closing or heavy regulating of Churches using covid also lends to this thought also. Not sure we realize how much we are loosing in the battle against covid. Not saying any government realizes this or is trying to take advantage of the situation. I am one who believes the cure is worst than the sickness. I am in the belief the covid is one of God's call to all man kind.

Reactions: 2 users

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Went to the bank today, only drive-thru there now and right on the tube it says 'NO ROLLED COINS' hence the coin shortage, everyone is sitting on their coins.