Code reader for M series

sask

Dec 27, 2017
saskatchewan
Hi again guys, I'm having some fuel/power issues with an M135X that I'm unable to diagnose. Getting an engine warning light but no visible codes. I'm wondering where I could find a code reader for this machine? And which one I need? Thanks!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Going to be a dealer only item I suspect. Was looking an an M5-151 the other day. When I saw all the electronic stuff and the DPF tank, I walked away.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
+1

I LOVE having a plain-Jane, pre-Tier Kubota! Diesel and oil and awaaay we go!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
+1

I LOVE having a plain-Jane, pre-Tier Kubota! Diesel and oil and awaaay we go!

I'm with you 100%. The only 'idiot' lights I have on my dash are the oil pressure, the PTO on light and the over temp light.

Why I bought the 04 M9 I just got. Just like my other M9, in fact the loaders interchange, same oil filters, air filters, hydraulic filters, even the same size tires and tread pattern (R1). Both are hydraulic shuttle so no dry clutch either, just 2 wet packs, one for the travelling gears and one for the PTO.

The only downside is the engine hours, 3500 but then Kubota VTE engines are very durable.

Why I sold the 105X. while pre tier 4, it still had the electronic gizmo'sad it's been my experience with Tier 4 big (Class 8) engines that the gizmo's fail and then you get your wallet out because everything is not directly emissions related so the EPA emissions mandate don't always apply. Never had any issue with the 105X but I thought why chance it, was getting older and closer to failure. No problem selling it and I got what I wanted (26K). My nwe OS M9 was 18 so I'm sitting pretty.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Hi again guys, I'm having some fuel/power issues with an M135X that I'm unable to diagnose. Getting an engine warning light but no visible codes. I'm wondering where I could find a code reader for this machine? And which one I need? Thanks!

Can you post a pic of the diagnostic port?
Over on a John Deere forum I frequent, guys are using the same Bluetooth code reader and phone app, that I use for my vehicles, on their Deeres. I was blown away by how many parameters they were able to monitor and log, with it.

Here is the topic,
https://www.greentractortalk.com/fo...2286-cheap-diagnostic-tool-android-users.html
Maybe you can gain some info from it.
Post back with what you find.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

You have to be a dealer to read the computer, it's proprietary software. :(

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
For 1600 bucks, I'd be calling a dealer and getting it done.

No code reader needed on my M's, thank the Lord for that.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Diagmaster is the only hardware and software that can be used.

To my knowledge, nobody else has the stuff to read tractors (yet). People wrote the software, I'm sure some smarty pants can figure out how to read it at some point.

The diagnostic "port" is mostly hidden too, and is a weird connector. It is NOTHING like OBD I or II.

They don't want people messing with it because it can be reprogrammed, and they don't want that....nor do they want anything to do with the EPA coming down on them for, well EPA stuff. The diesel pickup world has enough trouble with that already.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Diagmaster is the only hardware and software that can be used.

To my knowledge, nobody else has the stuff to read tractors (yet). People wrote the software, I'm sure some smarty pants can figure out how to read it at some point.

The diagnostic "port" is mostly hidden too, and is a weird connector. It is NOTHING like OBD I or II.

They don't want people messing with it because it can be reprogrammed, and they don't want that....nor do they want anything to do with the EPA coming down on them for, well EPA stuff. The diesel pickup world has enough trouble with that already.
I didn't say it was an OBD port. The JD guys are using adapters between the reader (which is typically an automotive Bluetooth module designed for an OBD port) and diagnostic port. You're only reading and monitoring with a code reader, not rewriting. Big difference.
I don't think GM, Chrysler, Ford, Toyota blah blah blah, etc. etc. etc., want those problems either. But, they all provide a diagnostic port in their vehicles for troubleshooting.

Adapter that some of the JD owners are using...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011A0IQM2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&tag=greentractortalkcon-20

Bluetooth reader, designed for free (or pay) smart phone diagnostic apps...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&tag=greentractortalkcon-20

What does the diagnostic port look like on the Kubota??

Have a look at the thread I posted a link to. It's not Diagmaster that is reading his machines ECM.

Last edited: