Clicking sound from PTO B7100

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I have a clicking sound that just started when the PTO is running. It is not there when the PTO is off. When I put it in the PTO speed 2, the clicking is faster, and PTO 3 it is even faster? Does anyone have any thoughts?

From looking at a parts diagram, it looks like there is a bearing that is just inside the back plate.
Is there anyway to know if it is that bearing or if it is deeper inside the rear end?

I really need to use the tractor and don't have time, or the money, for an expensive break down.

I am very handy, but I don't want to tear into something and get in over my head. I also want to save money. I have access to a pretty fully stocked shop, but I would be doing any work myself.

[/URL]

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
What implement were you using at the time? Or is it clicking with no implement hooked up?

If it's doing it with an implement, I would say the u-joints need to be greased on the pto shaft :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the clicking is coming from the tractor side of things then yes you stand about a 80/20 chance that your issue could be in the back case portion of the PTO setup, there isn't much before that.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
It makes the sound with or without an attachment on it. I was mowing when it started. If I get into some heavy grass, the click goes away, for a little bit.

At first I thought it was the PTO hitting something or a stick got caught somewhere and was rubbing. I just greased everything.

Wolfman: Have you tore into something like this before? If it is just a bearing, on the outside it looks like it would be a very easy fix.

#39, 42, 47 and 50 are all bearings, so it could be any of them.

Jay