Clearing a roadside ditch

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
In the past, I have used a trusty spade and sweat to dig out my ditch on my 1/2 mile long driveway, with Cool Hand Luke going though my head for the days I am working, thinking about eating forty eggs, having the mans dirt in the bosses hole and spending the night in the box.
Now with the BX and BH, I should be able to bang it out in a few effortless hours.
I was thinking that perhaps I should remove the teeth from the bucket. We've had tons of rain so the ground will be soft. I just want to remove a section of built up silt. I'd like to not disturb the bottom.
I have 2 buckets, the 8" and the 12" and plan to use the 12"

Opinions?:confused:

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
I've got a driveway ditch that's probably 5-6 wide. My wife is convinced its filling in even though its covered with grass. I've been putting off trying to deepen it for a number of reasons...not convinced it is filling in, not sure how to deepen it, and not sure I'd make it better if I tried.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Mine is def. filling in in areas. The slope varies greatly. The step parts are nice and clear, where it levels slightly, the original builder made the ditch wide and the run off slows and settles. Over the years, it is had been filling in but I need to keep a center part open. The spade works, just takes forever. The 12" bucket, just minutes I imagine. Two or three more years and the sides will be built up and this issue should go away.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I would say remove the teeth to accomplish the task at hand. A friend built an attachment for his backhoe from a section of blade I gave him. Its basically 4ft wide has no teeth and works great for work like you're describing, among other things. He made it so that it attaches to his bucket, so no taking the bucket off, one less step.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured the lip/'blade' of the bucket would be plenty durable to dig/scoop/scrape 'gravely-silt. It will not be a lot of material, probably just a couple of cubic yards.:cool:
Fortunately, I have a compressor and air gun easily capable of loosening the teeth bolts and a good torque wrench to re-attach.:)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Depending how much you need to do,my want someone in the tractor seat to move it over as you go. Unless you straddle ditch and clean a bucket width off the bottom. A much easier task with an excavator. Before, during and after photos would be appreciated.

Many cleanups just walk along back slope and smear the spoil alng the edge.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Equipment
M5400. 6' finish mower, 5' bush hog, 2 bottom plow, 6' rear blade, boom pole.
Mar 21, 2014
Waddy, Kentucky
In the past, I have used a trusty spade and sweat to dig out my ditch on my 1/2 mile long driveway, with Cool Hand Luke going though my head for the days I am working, thinking about eating forty eggs, having the mans dirt in the bosses hole and spending the night in the box.
Now with the BX and BH, I should be able to bang it out in a few effortless hours.
I was thinking that perhaps I should remove the teeth from the bucket. We've had tons of rain so the ground will be soft. I just want to remove a section of built up silt. I'd like to not disturb the bottom.
I have 2 buckets, the 8" and the 12" and plan to use the 12"

Opinions?:confused:
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." Thanks for that rehash of my favorite movie.:):)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
William1, to give advise it would be nice to know the width of the ditch, how much you need to cut out, slope, moisture in ditch and on slope. Pictures might disclose all that!

Many times cleaning out a ditch can be effectively done with a 3 pt. dirt scoop. If you only need to clean out a 30" path. You can take a long, straight pull and set the depth easily. When full, just pull out and dump. Back in and do again.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The problem with the ditch is one side is an embankment, 60 degrees steep and about 10' tall. The BX is small enough that I could run one wheel just on the edge of the embankment and the other on the road (keeping the tractor pretty much level right to left), and a more or less straight shot with the BH. I only need to remove 10" depth of material and 12" width should be plenty.
Even if I have to do it fully on the road with the bucket boom swung, it will be a lot easier than hand digging with a spade.
As far as moving the tractor as I dig, I've gotten very good at lifting the back in the air and using the BH to 'drive the tractor forward and backward a few feet at a time. Until I got a handle on that, it was extremely time consuming to get off, rotate the seat, drive forward five feet, flip the seat, repeat.
The wife will be driving the garden tractor with the 1 yard trailer. Four trailer fulls more or less should do it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Ok... some pictures.....

Views of the ditch that needs to be excavated. The Drain pipe and the other side of the pipe that needs to be cleared some.

The last picture is of my little tractor, 'Wally' residing in 'Wallys World, party on, excellent'.

Attachments

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
A while back, I was talking about moving rock with the BX and how easy it was. This was 4 tons. I need 4 more. I get it free from a neighbor so I have to be patient. But there is enough there now to deal with the occasional flooding (we just experienced 5" of rain and it did not crest the rock.
You may also recall I am excavating about a 50' circle to be a sort of silt basin. I have a tiny feeder stream I had to cross. First place I got the tractor stuck the day after I got it and had to get a neighbor to tow me out. Now there is a 8" pipe and lots of cement block there along with more Rip-Rap.
Next is a Downstream picture of my 'Canal' I built ten years ago at the waterfall toward 'the lake'. You can hear it clearly from the house. Followed by a view of the canal Upstream toward the bridge I built and then past that, is the Rip-Rap work.
The last picture I see from my office, where I get to work from home.

Attachments

Last edited:

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
I have a 12" bucket on my BH and really wanted a clean up bucket, but the bucks were big. So took the teeth off and added a 3/16" steel plate 6" wide and 24" long, worked for all the projects that were on the go.....until it bent on a root or rock. So took it off and added a 3/8" blade 26" long and 6" wide bolted through the holes for the teeth. Works great for all kinds of digging needs.

Hope this helps. :)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Ran the tractor almost all day.
22 bucket loads of lily pads I had previously rakes from part of my little lake, that took from 8 am to just before noon to pitchfork into the bucket and haul to the dump site. Ground sure is soggy from all the rain (5") we just got. Almost got stuck a few times.
Then I attacked the ditch. Using the 12" bucket, no teeth, and a garden tractor pulling a little garden tractor dump trailer, I cleared the forty feet of ditch. That took three hours to dig, haul the mix of sand/gravel/dirt to a path back in the woods and I covered/smoothed out an area where roots were making for a bumpy ride. Each cart is about 1/2 yard and I did six or seven carts full.
Then I excavated out the ditch on the other side of the drain pipe about 8" below the bottom of the pipe and about 8' long, seeing the pipe was about 1/3 filled with silt because the people that owned the ditch and drain pipe, never maintained it. Now with a good rain, it should self clear. I set the bucket down and drove away, using the bucket to scrape a ditch path.
All day, my neighbors little Yorkie was with me, chasing me, bringing me pine cones. Such a good little fella.:)
All done, just in time for the wife to come home and assume I was lounging about all day.......