Chuck those dam cowboy hats in the burn barrel

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
OK... so here is a story about whining hst's (or whining operators re: HST noise).

I had about 6 days of cleanup work around a woodlot I own. So decided to post help wanted ad at the store thinking a week or so grapple work for a student on a newer Kubota maybe some good summer spending cash.

Ended up with a couple of younger folks coming down wanting to share the work. OK for me and actually a great idea as safety in numbers right? They seemed like good farm kids and were OK around tractors so after a saftey briefing (no need to go fast just do it right and do it safely) I put them to work.

4 hours later its lunch time. Wife brings out lunch (nobody works at our place that doesn't get a hot meal) and the kids want to quit as they are worried about my tractors grenading. They say hst whines are so bad something wrong and they don't want to be responsible for broken equipment. I guess this old fart scared them a bit as I can be crusty at times.

So I took both tractors for a quick test around the site. Went to my truck and got 2 new welding beanies from the back seat and tossed them to the kids and said... "hst whine fixed / tractors won't grenade now. Save those silly hats for when you be on a horse or in a bar"

Kids got back to work and not another word said about hst noise. A weak later the job was done, kids were happy and they asked to come back if I had any other work for them later.

Morale of the story.... if you want a quieter experiance on an open station HST... don't where brimmed hats like cowboy hats.... you will be very surprised how much quiter things run when a ball cap or beanie is worn. Try it if you think your hst Kubota whines too much and you are wearing a brimmed cowboy hat or full brimmed hard hat or similar.

no brim is going to give you a much quieter experience.

now don't get me started on cowboy boots.... whats wrong people don't own a good pair of steeled toed work boots anymore?

Reactions: 4 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I wear a brimmed hat for sun protection. Ear plugs for the HST whine!

Reactions: 7 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My HST tractor is like my employees: if it’s whining too much it concerns me I’m pushing it too hard; if it isn’t whining at least a little bit it concerns me I’m not pushing hard enough. And no, I’m not a cowboy so I don’t wear a cowboy hat (but they are good for keeping sun off your neck and ears). 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think it is a great story about a couple young guys acting and performing like we all would like our offspring to do! (y)

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I wear a baseball cap and a pair of ear muffs. No problem with the whine.

Sounds like a good experience with those kids.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I'll never wear a cowboy hat nor a baseball cap while working as long as these are available: LINK I also wear safety toe boots, safety glasses, ear plugs, and leather gloves.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Reminds me of the safari..
Baseball cap for my balled spot, work boots and gloves if needed.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I need to protect my ears and the back of my neck from the sun. The suspension allows air circulation plus giving me some cushion when I "konk" my head, which is often.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Cab with A/C, shorts, flip-flops and a set of muffs... :D :D :D

I did put an 8 inch strip of tint film around the top of the windshield and doors.

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
Cab with A/C, shorts, flip-flops and a set of muffs... :D :D :D

I did put an 8 inch strip of tint film around the top of the windshield and doors.
So spot on. I was walking out the door today and my wife asks me where I’m going. I have on shorts and a tshirt and slides. I said I’m going to mow the pasture.
she looked at me like I was crazy.
Second pass - I get a text - “you and that cab”

only way to do it IMHO!