Choosing a used tractor

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Hi guys. Very long time no see. I had a B4200 years ago and joined up for advice, you were all really helpful. Well things with work changed and I sold it to part fund a Unimog project. It's been great fun but now it's time for the mog to go and a slightly larger compact tractor to come in.

I'd like to be able to mow sites up to around five acres with an underbelly mower, run a small timber winch and maybe a lightweight PTO chipper. I'd also want to put a log splitter and PTO saw bench on it sometimes. The ability to fit a decent front end loader would be handy, I do a lot of composting so turning it with a tractor would make that so much quicker easier!

I'm looking at a couple of B2400's with hydrostatic transmissions. I figure that would be better for the mowing which will probably be its main job. What do you think of my choice of machine for what I've described? I'd appreciate feedback from owners please. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
there's two 'camps' about tree harvesting...1- do it all in the forest..chop tree, bring firewood home, 2- bring logs to house, process there. The problem is deciding how to best 'process' the standing trees into firewood. There's a LOT of steps, each involving a lot of labor and time.
I'm in the second camp. Use the tractor to haul logs to the processing' place', then use a separate wood splitter,maybe a PTO chipper. Yes , loader will easily turn and move mountains of compost !!
If the trees are small, B2400 (24HP ?) should pull the logs fine, but bigger trress mean bigger logs so maybe a bigger tractor will be needed.
How many cords( that's real cords or 'bush' cords) a year ? If selling, I'd look into a proper 'wood processor' as time is money. If personal use, look at them anyway to see how you can setup to be effiicent. layout of equipment, minimal walking/driving, etc.
Whatever you decide, remember, we don't get any younger, the older we get ! Spending more $$$ now to make the WORK easier pays off later.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are cutting pastures with minimal obstacles gear drive, 3PH mower and higher PTO HP will shine.

If you have to do a lot of maneuvering and speed changes HST is helpful.

Good luck in your search.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
B2400’s seem like nice machines, around B2601 size it appears. If you can get the LA351 loader for a little extra capacity and I bet you’ll be able to do everything you want.

njc110381

Equipment
B4200
Aug 8, 2012
Gloucestershire, UK
Thanks guys. Timber wise, I only use about two cords per year. Any more than that will be hobby use, playing in the woods I guess you could call it! Around my area there are lots of woodlands that don't see much management, and I like to go and help out. I'm thinking of fitting a little 2 ton Igland 2001 on the 3 point, and adding a log grab to the front. As I say though in that situation it's not a time = money thing.

Mowing will be the main use but here in the UK a big garden is something like two acres. I'll be mowing horse paddocks, orchards. Lots of stuff to work around in some cases so I think HST will be a good choice. I'm also looking at a slightly smaller machine, the B7500. I think that should have enough power to run a 54" belly mower or 4' flail? I may even put a 48" belly mower under it if I do go for the smaller tractor - it'll be able to get into places that are too narrow for a B2400 then.

There are so many choices out there. It's hard to know what to do! The smaller it is, the less room it'll take up in my garage which is a consideration!

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I'm across the Channel from you, with a BX231 and 3 acres. Considering what you are going to use it for, the B2400 sounds right to me. And yes, the HST makes life a lot easier when mowing.