Check air pressure on tires with ballast?

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi, Another newbie question (first tractor) here ... I have Bio Ballast in my rear tires ... so ... can I still check the air pressure like normal (using a typical auto air pressure gagestick) or ? I have no idea ... :). ... Do I also just use my shop air compressor to fill the tires as well (if they are low)?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi, Another newbie question (first tractor) here ... I have Bio Ballast in my rear tires ... so ... can I still check the air pressure like normal (using a typical auto air pressure gagestick) or ? I have no idea ... :). ... Do I also just use my shop air compressor to fill the tires as well (if they are low)?
Valve stem at twelve o'clock position on tire!
Add as much air pressure from your shop compressor as desired.
Read pressure with "for liquid use" tire gauge.

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Make sure your valve stem is at the top (12 o'clock) position before you check pressure. (the air pocket)

Reactions: 1 users

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Also hope they did not over fill the tire with fluid as it can get messy, don't ask me how I know:oops:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm a Neanderthal. I just use the digital gauge on my air line.
When I do check, I hit the fill lever so whatever fluid is sitting in the stem blows back into the tire. Then just hit the bleed button if I need to. Then I'll blow the gauge/ pigtail out when I'm done.

Reactions: 3 users

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Thanks to all who posted - much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I didn't know there was a gauge for liquid-filled tires. (never thought about it)
I rotate the tires to 12 o'clock normally.
Is the concept of this specialized gauge about rust? Or is it that the liquid doesn't foul up the measurements?
EDIT:
I kept looking around and it does seem that a gauge made for liquid filled tires doesn't get messed up with liquids - although beet juice seems pretty nasty.

I also found out that some folks raise the tire off the ground to measure the pressure.

This fellow is always doing something - he has a good chart of the various liquids in this vid

Found this for Calcium Choride

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I didn't know there was a gauge for liquid-filled tires. (never thought about it)
Is the concept of this specialized gauge about rust? Or is it that the liquid doesn't foul up the measurements?
EDIT:
I kept looking around and it does seem that a gauge made for liquid filled tires doesn't get messed up with liquids - although beet juice seems pretty nasty.

I also found out that some folks raise the tire off the ground to measure the pressure.

This fellow is always doing something - he has a good chart of the various liquids in this vid

Yes.

So called "water gauges" are designed with stainless steel and brass parts to prevent damage from CaCl. They were designed decades before the advent of beet juice and function the same as non water guages.

Either will work equally poorly for your beet juice filled tires.

Reactions: 1 users

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
EDIT:

FWIW, I raise the tires off the ground to get valve stems to 12 O-clock Position.

Reactions: 1 user