Charged for MX5200 recall

Goat man

Equipment
Mx5200
Aug 29, 2021
Virginia
I just had my MX5200 repaired due to the the recent PSB—2020-058 Inadequately Torqued HST Bolts and was charged $175 for fluids and filters. I have not picked up my tractor and do not intend to pay the bill until I hear from other owners. I strongly disagree about this charge because, to me, it is part of completing the recall. I would appreciate your reply’s. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Where were your service hours and what is the Owners' manual service hour recommendation for fluid and filter change which was done?

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just had my MX5200 repaired due to the the recent PSB—2020-058 Inadequately Torqued HST Bolts and was charged $175 for fluids and filters. I have not picked up my tractor and do not intend to pay the bill until I hear from other owners. I strongly disagree about this charge because, to me, it is part of completing the recall. I would appreciate your reply’s. Thanks
Not sure about the filters, but first thought was what would the options be? Sounds like in order to do the recall they needed to drain the hydraulic fluid. If so there would be two options. The first would be to catch what they drained in a bucket, and put it back in after the repair was made. The second would be to do what most of us would do, and put new fluid in to eliminate/minimize the possibility of contaminants getting into the system.

Perhaps they should have asked asked which you preferred. If so, what would your answer have been? Mine would have been: replace the oil and do the filters while you are at it. I assume no charge for the labor involved.

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Lacking knowledge of what paper you signed or what you agreed to prior to the service I do not feel qualified to comment. Read what you signed very carefully then discuss it wit the dealer.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
In the automobile world, a "recall" is FEDERALLY MANDATED and mostly for SAFETY related items....
all other manufacturer-funded repairs would fall under TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)

Manufacturers are compelled BY LAW to perform due diligence to locate all owners and get the "recalls" completed.

Infact, automakers are not even compelled to tell customers about TSBs unless they complain about a problem related to one. This is one reason I regularly look-up TSBs on my vehicles incase any of them relate to an issue I have seen with my vehicle.

-----------------------
In the tractor world, things are different. You would have to review the documentation which dictates this kind of repair. (I am not even sure "recall" or "TSB" have any federal regulaton) Reading the warantee would be a good start. If it says they do not cover fluids/filters... you have nothing to stand on.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Trust me, I'm only guessing. Should be taken as such as I could be way off....won't be the first or last.

I think you'll be on the hook for the fluids.

But I agree with others that you should have been made aware of it....

I think we have a couple/few folks here on OTT that had the same TSB....just recall it was bolt-torque at/around the HST, and I think it was MX series....

Goat man

Equipment
Mx5200
Aug 29, 2021
Virginia
Not sure about the filters, but first thought was what would the options be? Sounds like in order to do the recall they needed to drain the hydraulic fluid. If so there would be two options. The first would be to catch what they drained in a bucket, and put it back in after the repair was made. The second would be to do what most of us would do, and put new fluid in to eliminate/minimize the possibility of contaminants getting into the system.

Perhaps they should have asked asked which you preferred. If so, what would your answer have been? Mine would have been: replace the oil and do the filters while you are at it. I assume no charge for the labor involved.

Goat man

Equipment
Mx5200
Aug 29, 2021
Virginia
Thanks for the fast replies. I did not sign any papers and my tractor has 103 hours on it. given A choice, I would have chosen to have new fluid and new filters. So, thanks to your replies, I will be going to my dealer with $175 and will pick up my tractor. I will be wearing either my fake smile or my Covid mask because I am not happy about the whole experience. Thank you all again for your helpful replies.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
That you are willing to pay it is fine. I would certainly drop a note or email to the owner letting him know you were upset with this 'surprise' charge.
If it was for fluids as mentioned above and you would have probably agreed to pay it if mentioned up front really has nothing to do with the real issue in my mind. This is a crappy way to run a business.

What if the charge was $5000? I'm guessing you would have a different attitude.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for the fast replies. I did not sign any papers and my tractor has 103 hours on it. given A choice, I would have chosen to have new fluid and new filters. So, thanks to your replies, I will be going to my dealer with $175 and will pick up my tractor. I will be wearing either my fake smile or my Covid mask because I am not happy about the whole experience. Thank you all again for your helpful replies.
One further cheering thought, that first filter change on a new tractor is well known to be a real bugger, may have saved you the stress of searching through your tool stash for something that will undo the filters :)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Question the charge first, and they might just remove it. Most likely, if it is a recall by Kubota the dealer is being reimbursed for the entire service that is necessary. I don't know of any dealership that would drain fluids to do a recall, and then reinstall the original fluids. That is like turning your underwear inside out for the next wearing.

Reactions: 2 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
And tell them you want your old fluid and filters back. :)

• Haha

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sadly, you are typically on the hook for consumables unless they are the cause of the failure/recall. However, a good dealer will sell them to you at/near cost to generate goodwill. Talk to the service manager. You never know unless you ask with a sincere smile.
When I was a FSM, customer attitude made a difference to me. Will I go by the book or will I go the extra mile?
I was always amazed at a customer who would get significant work done for free who then vociferously balked at an item they were getting charged for.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NIcfin beat me but YES, demand your old oil and filters, YOU legally own them..
and be sure any 'disposal fees' are removed from the bill as well !!

if asked why you want them, say you're going to have a lab test for 'bad stuff' in the oils.....cut open filter for 'debris'....

arto98607

Equipment
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, JD 440 ICD, JD 300
Aug 24, 2014
Southwest WA State

What does the recall notice letter say about items like that?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
NIcfin beat me but YES, demand your old oil and filters, YOU legally own them..
and be sure any 'disposal fees' are removed from the bill as well !!

if asked why you want them, say you're going to have a lab test for 'bad stuff' in the oils.....cut open filter for 'debris'....
Aside from what may be technically correct, I would ask myself if the benefit is worth the effort.

It isn‘t $5,000. It’s $175. Did they pick up the tractor at no cost? I assume not if you are going to pick it up. It is new oil and filters. Agree it can’t hurt to express dissatisfaction to the owner in a non aggressive way.

If the dealer is charging for oil and filters and getting paid for them by Kubota too, not good. Perhaps tell the dealer you are not happy and will be complaining to Kubota Corp about the charge, but will pay it and see if Kubota says the charge is justified?

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Just wondering if your recall letter said the same thing as the one for my L4701.
What I am referring to was the letter stating to immediately stop using the machine period because of the Inadequately Torqued HST Bolts.
It meant that I had to stop using mine during a time that I really needed to use it. I was fortunate that it turned out my HST was not in the affected serial number range so mine was only out of commission for a few days.
In your case it sounds like you were unable to use your machine for a longer period. I realize they are not going to reimburse you for your lost time and trouble but to charge you in addition to the problems Kubota caused you, well I wouldn't blame you for at least questioning them about why you owe them anything.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had a recall on my subaru forester ..... the AC condenser needed to be replaced ...... which meant they had to pull the freon and then replace it ........

it was ALL covered, simply due to the fact that it was part of the equation .......

IF they had to drain the fluids - and it seems that way, they YOU should NOT be charged for it...... ask first then ask again!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
kubota will pick up the tab on the fluids and filter, but the dealer that did the recall has to request it. Most of the time they don't because it takes time. The process sucked when I worked at the dealer, sometimes took days weeks, even months sometimes (although typically a week for 99% of the requests).

The recall itself doesn't specify using new fluid and new filters, and that's a loophole that some dealers will try to use to recover a small portion of a money-losing recall. I only did 2 of them and both were MX's, and both of them sucked. Lost money (commission pay) on them. You can't do them in flat rate without hurrying and you don't want to hurry one of these, lots of parts to remove and then reinstall, and lots of ways to mess up.

with air conditioning stuff the refrigerant MUST be recovered and weighed for the proper amount per federal laws. At that point it's just as easy to put it back in once the repair is made. Hydraulic fluid could be done that way too but most dealers don't have any clean buckets laying around to recover and reuse oil, and most owners aren't fond of the idea of putting used oil back in. Way too many chances of dirt, clippings, rocks, sand, poo, whatever... falling off of the tractor and into the bucket while it is draining.

I wouldn't have any problem with it but I'd also question it, just exactly like the original poster.