Changing hydraulic/transmission fluid

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
Hi all…..inherited my dad’s L2900 with 1500 hours on it. Not sure if/when the last time the UDT fluid was changed, so I I figured why not? I’ve never done this, though…so my question is, does the full 39 litres of UDT come pouring out all at once….and if so, how does one catch it all? i know there are several drain bolts underneath - does it sort of stagger the amounts that drain out? i have a standard 15L oil pan that I use for Oil changes for my vehicle - does one need multiple containers? Also…what does one do with 39L of used UDT?
thanks in advance.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
You can do one at a time, for me I'd go to the filter first, drain from there, then to each low point drain by each rear tire. I suppose you could get multiple drain pans, but that's just more to clean up later.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I'd cut up a 55gal drum to fit under it. Bit of a pain to drain it out, but it makes it pretty easy to drop all the fluid out of a tans and the drop boxes for the axles.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i always drained the filter first. Unscrew it a little bit, let it fill a bucket. Tighten filter, go dump the bucket, then repeat until no more comes out. Dump the bucket again after re-seating the filter. Now drain it from the bottom, it'll fill one bucket and part of another one. If u have two buckets it makes it easier, just slide the full one out of the way by pushing it with the empty one, so that the empty one gets under the drain.

pretty easy to do it that way.

Fluid extractor is best/easiest but its hard to get the suck tube to the bottom of the transmission case, and even then finding an extractor that will hold that much fluid is tough. Mine only holds 7 gal.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
i use a litter box when working on draining my atv's oil i work on, used it on my b2100 as well, holds a good amount fluid. no matter what you use ?, just always be ready to swap them out with an empty bucket of some sort !.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Hi all…..inherited my dad’s L2900 with 1500 hours on it. Not sure if/when the last time the UDT fluid was changed, so I I figured why not? I’ve never done this, though…so my question is, does the full 39 litres of UDT come pouring out all at once….and if so, how does one catch it all? i know there are several drain bolts underneath - does it sort of stagger the amounts that drain out? i have a standard 15L oil pan that I use for Oil changes for my vehicle - does one need multiple containers? Also…what does one do with 39L of used UDT?
thanks in advance.
I would think if you buy the Kubota UDT from your dealer, they would be willing to take the waste oil. Someone mentioned draining via the filter, sounds like a good idea if you don't have a few extra buckets.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My local Tractor Supply had these on sale, two for the price of one…17-gallon plastic buckets. (but one is all you’ll need.)

A No 2 wash tub will also work. A garbage can cut down. Look at your Owner’s Manual and determine the capacity and then open the (likely two) drain plugs and let it all out. Close the plugs, then slide the bucket over beneath the filers and remove them also.

After adding the new UDT (or other specified fluid such as SUDT2) then use a funnel and pour the old fluid back into the empty 5-gal pails the new fluid came in. Use a coffee filter in the funnel.
Save the old fluid for “top-off” if ever necessary, or to use in your log splitter or to kill grass along fence lines or spray onto dirt roads to keep dust down….or return the old fluid to the seller for disposal.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes it will almost all come out at one time through the drain plugs so you have to be prepared to capture over 10 gallons of fluid at once unless you drain through the filter

At the hardware store they sell 5 gallon buckets and lids. Some of the lids probably have a pour so get that style if possible. Makes disposal easier. I recommend three buckets so you don’t have to fill them up to the top. Also in the masonry section will be plastic flat tubes that that will hold the buckets inside to capture any spills and also allows the buckets to slide easily.

You can probably get a plug back into its hole but that is messy.

Also think about how you will get the new fluid into the tractor. Pouring out of 5 gallons bucket may be difficult to impossible so see what you can get into the fill port. The sell hand pumps that fit into the pour spout of five gallon buckets

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
i use a litter box when working on draining my atv's oil i work on, used it on my b2100 as well, holds a good amount fluid. no matter what you use ?, just always be ready to swap them out with an empty bucket of some sort !.
What does the cat think about you using its litter pan?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
FastBall, I'll throw you a curve! In your country you may have a farmer nearby who feed cattle. If so, they often buy protein supplement for winter and it comes in large plastic tubs that hold 19-20 gallons. If you can locate one of these (farmers give them away when empty) cut it down to the height that will just fit under your tractor to drain the oil in to. This keeps you from trawnsfering small containers of oil and possibly causing a mess.

Reactions: 1 users