Changing glow plugs on a L1501DT

crusher060

Equipment
Kubota L1501 Diesel Tractor with slasher
Morning all I’m a newbie at this tractor caper and no mechanic. Having trouble starting the tractor and did some YouTube and. Google searching and thing it might be glow plugs as the coil on the dash is not glowing when I warm them. Haven’t got a manual yet but think the glow plugs are under the two bolts on the head?. Just wondering how you get them out to change them cheers

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've not seen your tractor but glow plugs are similar to spark plugs. There will be a wire running to each. You disconnect the wire then use a socket to remove the glow plug. You may want to check to see if they're even getting voltage, though. The coil on the dash doesn't usually glow very brightly, it's usually about three turns of nichrome wire to drop the twelve volts from the battery to the 10.5 volts for the glow plugs. The wire heats and the connections oxidize, then nothing passes. The resistance should be readable but it's pretty low - an ohm or two. If you get a really high resistance across the coil you're getting nothing to your glow plugs. Of course glow plugs can fail open or shorted, too. I think the part you're looking at with the bolts may be the injector.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Don’t assume the glow plugs are not working properly just because the indicator coil does not glow!

Try it in the dark and then you may be able to see it.

The glow plugs are probably on the side of the engine near the injectors. The glow plugs are connected to each other with a heavy uninsulated wire about an eighth inch in diameter.

I think the bolts are just holding the valve cover on. But Iam assuming that your tractor is similar to my L185.

See if there is about 10 to 12 volts getting to the glow plugs if they are easy to locate.

But on my L185 they were not that expensive and easy to change if you have the correct deep thin wall socket. The glow indicator is also inexpensive but harder to replace since it is underneath the dash.

And how are you operating the glow plugs and for how long?

Reactions: 1 user

crusher060

Equipment
Kubota L1501 Diesel Tractor with slasher
Don’t assume the glow plugs are not working properly just because the indicator coil does not glow!

Try it in the dark and then you may be able to see it.

The glow plugs are probably on the side of the engine near the injectors. The glow plugs are connected to each other with a heavy uninsulated wire about an eighth inch in diameter.

I think the bolts are just holding the valve cover on. But Iam assuming that your tractor is similar to my L185.

See if there is about 10 to 12 volts getting to the glow plugs if they are easy to locate.

But on my L185 they were not that expensive and easy to change if you have the correct deep thin wall socket. The glow indicator is also inexpensive but harder to replace since it is underneath the dash.

And how are you operating the glow plugs and for how long?
Thanks for your replies guys. Found the glow plugs, replaced with the new ones I bought and bingo tractor started straight away and the glow indicator also lit up. Cost of the two plugs was about $135 Aussie including delivery. Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the resolution

Glad you got it resolved so easily and quickly