Changing BX25D Trans fluid

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Time is near! So I am 'prepping'.

My drain pan barely holds two gallons, I'll be getting 3+ of course. Anyone had a similar issue? Do I just remove the drain bolt, when my pan is 'full enough' do I stem the flow and screw the bolt in and drain my pan then drain the rest? I've never changed this much fluid at once at home. Back in the day, I drained in a shop into a 20 gallon drain pan.
Are you going to tell me to buy a bigger hammer and a bigger drain pan? ;)
When you have drained the trans, does it rush out or sort of 'gloop/gulp/gloop/gulp' slow enough to not be overwhelming.:confused:
I take it there is a oring on the drain screw and on each of the front axle drains so no parts needed.:confused:

While my dealer will service on site, I hate the idea of paying a few hundred to do a simple task assuming I do not make a massive mess.:p

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
When I drained my BX24, I used the loader and backhoe outriggers to lift the tractor high enough to fit a 5 gal bucket under the drain plug. I used jack stands for safety of course.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When I drained my BX24, I used the loader and backhoe outriggers to lift the tractor high enough to fit a 5 gal bucket under the drain plug. I used jack stands for safety of course.
Duh, good idea! Sometimes I cannot see my nose to spite my face! Thanks!:)

Can you remove the strainer with the backhoe on?:confused:

I've only got one pair of jackstands though. I probably could borrow a second pair from a neighbor.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
We all have our moments. Haha

The strainer can be removed. It***8217;s on the left side facing the tire. Mine somehow had dirt and pieces of a leaf on the strainer. Apparently, the previous owner let in trash when he checked the fluid.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
What I did in the past when I didn't have a fel was to use an old bucket and cut it to fit under the tractor. Then there's no worry of using stands.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
William -- late to the game....

The fluid comes out decent, but is no problem to interrupt if needed..I happened to have a good sized pan, so didn't need to.

Make sure you have a good filter wrench, just in case....have you changed filter once already? If so, shouldn't be an issue.

For the front axle, it was easy, but take top vent out each side, as well as the actual fill, just to make it empty easy. I don't remember an o-ring...been a couple years. You won't get all 1 gallon or so back into it, if my memory serves....just check it after.

It's a piece of cake! SO glad I didn't spend the $$ to have the dealer do it!

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Most of these tractors use crush washers (solid copper) or dowty washers (rubber inside steel retainer). It is best to replace them but not absolutely mandatory. Just less chance of leaking oil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Glad to know the fluid will not come out as if from a fire hose.

Honestly, I cannot imagine why I did not think outside the box at all and just use a pail, I have about 30 cleaned spackle pails from a remodel job.

I checked and it appears the drain on the trans and the front axles uses orings, just like the engine oil drain.

I changed the trans oil filter back at 50 hours. I drove the tractor up a very steep incline, when I pulled the filter nearly no fluid came out. That was a great trick I read on OTT. The filter was on pretty tight. I am sure being 'factory painted' made it extra stuck. Wearing rubber gloves, I've found all filters can subsequently be removed with no tools. But I have a bunch of various filter tools from a lifetime of doing mechanical work.

Yeah, I read the manual and picked up on the need to open the vents on the axle hubs. Makes sense to prevent trapped air as the fluid flows.

I think I will still remove the BH to do the change. It is only an extra 30 minutes (probably ten) to R&R and it will be easier with it out of the way, especially when refilling. I'll just jack the tractor up and put stands under it or cribbing under the tires.

Sometimes, it is so much easier to say it out loud and not just think about it. Thanks for talking to me. The wife only tells me what I dshould of done after I have done it....:rolleyes:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If it was me I'd replace the oring on the strainer while you're there. YMMV